Delta flights purchased from KLM

Old May 13, 2020, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Delta flights purchased from KLM

Hi. I am posting these questions here, mostly because I have no idea where these questions best fit: I'm looking (theoretically, more than anything) at an itinerary, all Delta flights on Delta metal, that can either be purchased directly from Delta or from KLM (at least some, but not all of the flights are codeshared). I'm tempted to buy from KLM, since it appears to be about 15% cheaper from KLM. So here are the questions:

1. Is there a known distinct disadvantage in buying this from KLM?
2. How do I claim Delta Skymiles when/if I fly on this ticket from KLM?
3. If I buy this ticket using an eligible Delta branded AMEX, would I still get free checked bags, even if I buy the ticket from KLM?

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta
1. It shouldn't be an issue to book through KLM. With certain carriers that have more financial stress, I would avoid booking on those, but KLAF should be fine.
2. You can just input your SM number on your reservation when booking the ticket. A box should appear when you're filling out passenger information. It will either ask you to select a FF program from the drop down list or it will just know from your number who you belong to.
3. It depends on your flight number - so whether KLM has given you a codeshare on the delta flight or if it is just selling you the Delta coded flight directly. From the terms and conditions of the bag policy for Delta AMEX cards:
The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight.
Since you've already noted that these are Delta operated, if KLM is selling you DL123 you get the bag, if KLM is selling you KL4567 then you do not.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
How do KLM/AF do with refunds, if your flight is cancelled? Delta have been stellar...

(Edit: Searched and kind of answered my own question):
COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy
Old May 13, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
One other consideration: you don't list any Delta status in your profile and don't state whether this is a domestic or international trip, but you'd be ineligible for upgrades until check-in if you're flying on a KLM flight number.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by namekyd
Since you've already noted that these are Delta operated, if KLM is selling you DL123 you get the bag, if KLM is selling you KL4567 then you do not.
If they were DL marketed, the applicable fares would be DL fares and have the same price as buying from DL.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the replies. I don't have any status with Delta (no chance for free upgrade) and they are international flights. They are all Delta operated flights but outbound is sold as KLM codeshare by KLM, and inbound is sold as Delta flights by KLM. So, the actual difference in price will be attenuated by the bag fees if we buy the ticket from KLM.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by psoque
Thanks for the replies. I don't have any status with Delta (no chance for free upgrade) and they are international flights. They are all Delta operated flights but outbound is sold as KLM codeshare by KLM, and inbound is sold as Delta flights by KLM. So, the actual difference in price will be attenuated by the bag fees if we buy the ticket from KLM.
Delta includes a free bag to many international destinations although some of those require buying Main Cabin rather than Basic Economy. You can check fees here. If the return flights have Delta flight numbers and are on Delta metal, they would qualify for free baggage with your credit card so at most you'd be paying bag fees for the outbound.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2. If by chance you have a FB (AF/KLM) FF account, do NOT *ever* associate that number with your PNR/ticket or open the PNR in your FB account. FB numbers tend to stick in these situations and chances are that miles will be credited to FB and extremely difficult to redirect to your DL account ex post.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I would not buy a ticket from AF/KL currently if the Delta price is close. Their initial refund policy is "Voucher", no matter what the law says, even if they cancel the flight on you. You will spend a lot of time trying to get you money back if it comes to that.
MSPeconomist and tanglin like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drminn
I would not buy a ticket from AF/KL currently if the Delta price is close. Their initial refund policy is "Voucher", no matter what the law says, even if they cancel the flight on you. You will spend a lot of time trying to get you money back if it comes to that.
AF was really bad about refunds. Even going so far as seemingly having convinced AMEX France to deny all chargebacks.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM
I just went through some issues with KLM.com purchased flights:
- Originally purchased a ticket via KLM.com (all DL operated flights. Was $500 cheaper for the Delta One fare vs. Delta.com)
- Initially, I wasn't able to pick seats (but oh well... DL One seats are all pretty good)
- I called Delta to pick seats. Turned out on one fo the US domestic legs, I was in coach due to "fare class mismatch" (whatever...) )
- Agent converted the KLM ticket to a Delta ticket (ticket number changed, re-issue) to give me a chance at upgrading the one leg via complimentary pre-dept. upgrades
[ up to here, it was pre-COVID ]
now covid19 hit... the business trip was canceled and the flight was eventually canceled as well by delta.
- initially, just the transatlantic flight was removed from the itinerary (not replaced... it was to AMS so they still had some flights going)
- I called Delta to cancel... the agent told me that this will take a bit longer since Delta/KLM have to split it. But he filled out the paperwork
- called again 30 days later, agent said that he will process the refund
- two days later I had the full fare refunded on my credit card.

so in short: expect some hiccups, but in the end, it worked out all right.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:07 pm

If you book Nairobi Kenya through KLM with KL flights instead of Delta as DL flights, do they all count toward your MQDs as partner flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.