FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Recent MSP experience April/May 2020 - COVID19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2017032-recent-msp-experience-april-may-2020-covid19.html)

xiphoid76 May 3, 2020 2:28 pm

Recent MSP experience April/May 2020 - COVID19

Hi there, flying from MSP for work trip soon. Does anyone have any recent experience there regarding what is open re: food, coffee? The MSP website says there are some things open, but does not provide a list. Just wanted to see What I need to bring to eat. Weird, I travel usually 2-3 times a month, but am nervous/excited about this one as this will be my first flight since end of February and this pandemic began in earnest. Thanks for any thoughts about what MSP looks like.

MSPeconomist May 3, 2020 5:02 pm

If you're originating from MSP, pay attention to road construction/closures. IIRC Highway 5 around the airport is closed in both directions, and will remain so for quite a while. This means that you cannot drive to the airport via I-494, at least from the west, and should plan on using Highway 62 or some other alternate route.

If you plan to use the light rail, check frequencies. The number of people per car is supposed to be limited to maintain social distance, but this might not be a constraint right now.

Airport parking (general ramp for T1, etc.) should be easy and the main offsite places seem to be open, but shuttle frequency and hours are likely to be reduced.

Airport hotel shuttles seem to be suspended in general, so check if this applies to you (airport parking packages).

One of the DL SCs (F/G) seems to be open with reduced F&B offerings. I don't know about Escape and the PP PGA lounge.

xiphoid76 May 3, 2020 6:28 pm

Thank you - that is very helpful! Will try the light rail and see how it goes!

MSPeconomist May 3, 2020 8:03 pm

Please report back.

bonoman May 4, 2020 2:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32346333)
If you're originating from MSP, pay attention to road construction/closures. IIRC Highway 5 around the airport is closed in both directions, and will remain so for quite a while. This means that you cannot drive to the airport via I-494, at least from the west, and should plan on using Highway 62 or some other alternate route.

As of last Friday, you could take MN-5 south to I-494.

xiphoid76 May 4, 2020 8:05 am

I will give an update later this week.

CarmenOM May 5, 2020 12:01 pm

•The skybridge from Gold parking is now open.
•Valet parking is closed.
•The G concourse, the C-G connector, and the C concourse tram are all closed.
*New elevators are open from the transit level.

CarmenOM May 5, 2020 12:07 pm

The new elevators at the transit level.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b39d992e5.jpeg

Flyer0889 May 5, 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 32350884)
The new elevators at the transit level.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b39d992e5.jpeg

If this is adjacent to the lower level delta group checkin and the little Hudson shop, those elevators have been open for over a year now!

CarmenOM May 5, 2020 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer0889 (Post 32351550)
If this is adjacent to the lower level delta group checkin and the little Hudson shop, those elevators have been open for over a year now!

No, the ones you’re thinking about were over to the right of the ones in the photo and set farther back. I haven’t seen these in person, but I think this bank of elevators is quite a bit bigger (more elevators) than the other one.

apodo77 May 5, 2020 6:26 pm

Are any restaurants and bars open in MSP?

xiphoid76 May 7, 2020 1:24 pm

The light rail is operating every 20 minutes instead of ten, but it worked well. Airport so empty it actually made me sad. Updated my real ID with clear which was fully staffed. No line at check in or security. At 8:30 only thing open was Dunkin and other coffee places and newsstands. Looked like Panda Express and Chik were opening up later. Can’t walk across from C to G terminals - they blocked that off and tram not running.
got upgraded to first class with all but 5 others. They had the whole coach area to themselves which was so much better than all of us cramped into first class! Just water, and a snack box and bag. The snacks were good. I don’t drink water and would have loved a soda. Flight attendants all great!

MSPeconomist May 7, 2020 1:35 pm

It's also sad to watch the air traffic movement on realtime flight viewer or to drive past the DL maintenance facility at MSP and see the planes parked there, including some big birds.

Meantime, if anyone has time to kill at MSP, MOA is largely closed but some places, including F&B, have pickup service. In particular, the restaurant in the JW at MOA has long hours, but I haven't found their menu online. Cinnebon at MOA is also open for pickup orders, but not early enough for breakfast. You can check details and hours on the MOA website. Light rail to MOA seems to be operating, although of course with very light loads. If you buy food, you can also buy one bottle of wine (generally at prices between liquor store and restaurant wine list) or a six pack of beer to go from restaurants with liquor licenses. The aquarium and the nearby Northwest History Centre are required to remain closed under MN's stay at home order.

FlyDeltaMD88 May 8, 2020 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Flyer0889 (Post 32351550)

The ones on the very far right, unpictured and further behind (two of them) have been there for a while. The set in the picture just opened/were built.

MSPeconomist May 8, 2020 6:13 am

If you're really stuck at MSP (overnight), note that most of the airport hotels seem to be open but without airport shuttle service. The best choices might be the ones very close to light rail stations, including near the MOA for a few takeout food options within walking distance. Some obvious ones meeting this criteria that seem to be open currently are a cluster of new Marriott family places at and just to the east of MOA (JW, element, AC, and TownePlace Suites), a Hyatt Regency overlooking a small park, and the CrownePlace Aero property (formerly something else I believe) that hosts the Northwest History Centre (closed, unfortunately).

ADDED: The takeout wine and beer option does not apply to food deliveries, only takeout or curbside. Some restaurants are selling fancy cocktail kits, but those are BYOB so they wouldn't work for the stranded.