Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A333, A350 or 777 D1 Pros & Cons and schedule musings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I was scheduled to take DL410 MCO-AMS at the end of June that I booked with VS miles. The route (not just my flight) has been axed. So I called VS and the nice agent re-booked me via DTW with the overwater segment on the A350. Since VS charges miles per segment and not trip, I was pleasantly surprised when the agent made the change without requesting additional miles. Perhaps with everything going on, there are more override "buttons" or because DL and VS are closer in bed than ever before, their systems allow changes without repricing. Initially, DL410 was scheduled to depart after 10PM, then got moved to just before 8PM. Now I am leaving at 2PM. Due to my wife's job demands, I am thinking that maybe we should depart a day later since we were originally planning to work on departure day, but now that is limited. If we go a day later, I could do an A333 through DTW or a 777 through ATL.

From a hard product perspective only, what are the pros and cons to each bird? Is the shoulder belt awkward on the A350 (one of my biggest concern with sleeping)? The 777 pics don't seem to show one which makes me think the 777 might be better. However, sleep is important and I have heard the A350's are pressurized to a lower altitude and have higher humidity so the point goes to the A350. Both the A350 and 777 suites look to be relatively private. The A333 has the reverse herringbone seats which look better for chatting with my wife during dinner, but that seems to be its only advantage.

If there are further schedule cuts, MCO-DTW flies 5x daily and cutting a couple of flights could potentially result in an even earlier departure and long layover. I don't mind long layovers as I would visit several different lounges and do some plane spotting, but my wife gets restless. If I change to the 777 through ATL, there is a flight every hour, so even if they cut half their flights, my potential travel time increase will be an hour or so. DL has cut service to AMS for both days to just one flight from DTW and one from ATL. Since KL also flies ATL-AMS, if DL cut one of the flights to AMS, would they be more likely to cut the one from ATL since they can put pax on KL metal 25 minutes later, or would they cut the one from DTW since their fortress is ATL?

I suppose all of it is a moot point if the Netherlands and our second stop France aren't allowing when we go.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by vinnmann
I was scheduled to take DL410 MCO-AMS at the end of June that I booked with VS miles. The route (not just my flight) has been axed. So I called VS and the nice agent re-booked me via DTW with the overwater segment on the A350. Since VS charges miles per segment and not trip, I was pleasantly surprised when the agent made the change without requesting additional miles. Perhaps with everything going on, there are more override "buttons" or because DL and VS are closer in bed than ever before, their systems allow changes without repricing. Initially, DL410 was scheduled to depart after 10PM, then got moved to just before 8PM. Now I am leaving at 2PM. Due to my wife's job demands, I am thinking that maybe we should depart a day later since we were originally planning to work on departure day, but now that is limited. If we go a day later, I could do an A333 through DTW or a 777 through ATL.

From a hard product perspective only, what are the pros and cons to each bird? Is the shoulder belt awkward on the A350 (one of my biggest concern with sleeping)? The 777 pics don't seem to show one which makes me think the 777 might be better. However, sleep is important and I have heard the A350's are pressurized to a lower altitude and have higher humidity so the point goes to the A350. Both the A350 and 777 suites look to be relatively private. The A333 has the reverse herringbone seats which look better for chatting with my wife during dinner, but that seems to be its only advantage.

If there are further schedule cuts, MCO-DTW flies 5x daily and cutting a couple of flights could potentially result in an even earlier departure and long layover. I don't mind long layovers as I would visit several different lounges and do some plane spotting, but my wife gets restless. If I change to the 777 through ATL, there is a flight every hour, so even if they cut half their flights, my potential travel time increase will be an hour or so. DL has cut service to AMS for both days to just one flight from DTW and one from ATL. Since KL also flies ATL-AMS, if DL cut one of the flights to AMS, would they be more likely to cut the one from ATL since they can put pax on KL metal 25 minutes later, or would they cut the one from DTW since their fortress is ATL?

I suppose all of it is a moot point if the Netherlands and our second stop France aren't allowing when we go.
DL obviously hasn’t published a finalized June schedule yet and the current schedule being shown is mostly based on pre-COVID demand (minus a few minor cuts they’ve already made). I’d wait to make any further changes until Delta announces what their June schedule looks like.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Delta A350 or Virgin A350?

The general hierarchy of Delta business class products in roughly decreasing order of desirability is suites (777, A350, and A330-900), then herringbone (A330-200, A330-300), then staggered (767-400, 767-300).

The differences in the suites are minor - a slight bit more room on the 777, a slight bit less on the 339, and lack of air vents for the center seats on the 350. Not anything I’d contort my schedule around, and the 350 is an excellent product.

Virgin just introduced a new seat on their own A350, and it probably slots into the hierarchy below Delta’s suites and above their herringbone products.

Long story short I think you have a fine booking on the 359 and should probably just wait to see if further changes are necessary. If you want the absolute best product Delta offers, the 777 is IMHO it, but the differences are so subtle t isn’t worth the hassle of switching.
vinnmann likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Also, with the way things are playing out differently in various states, I would strongly prefer connections in DTW to connections in ATL for the foreseeable future due to their more conservative approach to reopening and statewide mask requirement, so that’s another tick in the column of keeping your current booking.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Couple of things:
  • Those seatbelts are on all the A359 and 777. They are required per the seat design. You only have to wear the shoulder harness during takeoff and landing. It's not a concern during the flight and won't prevent you from sleeping
  • A359 and 777 are both better than the A330

I would take whatever option puts you on either the A359 or 777 and the difference between the two is minor (A359 has higher humidity but also slightly narrower, 777 doesn't have the higher humidity but it has a slightly bigger seat).

Also be aware that in the event that VS goes completely bust, it's not a given that your ticket on DL would still be honored (it's possible but not a given)
BHammy likes this.

Last edited by Duke787; Apr 29, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Couple of things:
  • Those seatbelts are on all the A359 and 777. They are required per the seat design. You only have to wear the shoulder harness during takeoff and landing. It's not a concern during the flight and won't prevent you from sleeping

I would take whatever option puts you on either the A359 or 777 and the difference between the two is minor (A359 has lower humidity but also slightly narrower, 777 doesn't have the lower humidity but it has a slightly bigger seat).

Also be aware that in the event that VS goes completely bust, it's not a given that your ticket on DL would still be honored (it's possible but not a given)
Good advice, but I think you reversed the humidity information. A359 has higher humidity than the 777 which is actually a good thing in flight because the cabin air on most aircraft is quite dry.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Good advice, but I think you reversed the humidity information. A359 has higher humidity than the 777 which is actually a good thing in flight because the cabin air on most aircraft is quite dry.
Good catch -- updating my post
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Couple of things:

I would take whatever option puts you on either the A359 or 777 and the difference between the two is minor (A359 has higher humidity but also slightly narrower, 777 doesn't have the higher humidity but it has a slightly bigger seat).

I wasn't aware that the shoulder harness could be buckled separately. I am assuming it can be easily kept out of the way when unlatched. I'd hate to roll over while trying to sleep and have a buckle grind into my back.

And yes...I am a little worried about it being a VS ticket. I am hoping they can hold out for another two months at least.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
DL obviously hasn’t published a finalized June schedule yet and the current schedule being shown is mostly based on pre-COVID demand (minus a few minor cuts they’ve already made). I’d wait to make any further changes until Delta announces what their June schedule looks like.
I think DL has done most of its TATL cuts for June. All I could find on DL metal for my end of June travel dates are one each DTW-AMS, ATL-AMS, ATL-CDG and ATL-LHR. Everything out of JFK is VS, KL, or AF metal.

Edited, it looks like the ATL-CDG is on AF and ATL-LHR is on VS after all. So, only DL metal to AMS.

Last edited by vinnmann; Apr 29, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:27 pm

I wasn't aware that the shoulder harness could be buckled separately. I am assuming it can be easily kept out of the way when unlatched. I'd hate to roll over while trying to sleep and have a buckle grind into my back.

And yes...I am a little worried about it being a VS ticket. I am hoping they can hold out for another two months at least.
Yes, it tucks into the seat unobtrusively and has never been an issue for me when sleeping onboard.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah it's only a take-off/landing requirement. It's required on this type of seat because the gap between seats is too large to keep you in place in a sudden g-force event during take-off and landing (in tighter configs or in Y, the seat in front of you serves this purpose) so the shoulder harness is the arresting function.

I don't recall having any issues when unlatched -- it didn't get in the way of sleeping or lounging when I flew the 777 on ICN - MSP last fall
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've flown both the A350 and B777 in the suites and there isn't any real difference as far as any normal activities. Like Duke787 said the seat belt is a safety issue regarding G forces and I've seen them on virtually every suite seat I've flown in no matter which airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.