Wiki Posts
Search

Are most of the ATL restaurants open

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Are most of the ATL restaurants open

Traveling through ATL on Saturday and I saw that 3 of the sky clubs are still open. Just curious about the rest of the airport. Are some/most/all of the stores and restaurants still open?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
If it's anything like SJC, I'd be surprised if anything but the occasional Hudson is still open
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here in PHX. I think they still open the concessions or retail shops. I am not quite sure. You may ask them on Facebook page. Go to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport page and ask for it.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Last I checked, the TGIF was open in T
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
Originally Posted by AU Fan
Traveling through ATL on Saturday and I saw that 3 of the sky clubs are still open. Just curious about the rest of the airport. Are some/most/all of the stores and restaurants still open?
ATL Skypointe

Last Updated 04/22/2020
AU Fan and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’d assume some will open back up soon. The state of Georgia announced that restaurants can re-open for sit down service on Monday.
AU Fan and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d assume some will open back up soon. The state of Georgia announced that restaurants can re-open for sit down service on Monday.

And at least near me none of the restaurants have decided to do this. Probably because their customers all are going "NO WAY"
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Probably because their customers all are going "NO WAY"
Doubtful- when the Chik-Fil-A is actually open in SJC there's people there, and everyone I've spoken to laments the lack of places to eat in the airports. I'm pretty sure the only reason most airport shops aren't open is due to lack of flying pax and/or legal restrictions.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
A lot of things were closed in early-April. Suspect some restaurants have opened after the governor's decision but not many,
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
There was never a GA order preventing restaurants from being closed for take out. Most/any of the ATL restaurants could have always been open if they wanted to be.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
And at least near me none of the restaurants have decided to do this. Probably because their customers all are going "NO WAY"
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Doubtful- when the Chik-Fil-A is actually open in SJC there's people there, and everyone I've spoken to laments the lack of places to eat in the airports. I'm pretty sure the only reason most airport shops aren't open is due to lack of flying pax and/or legal restrictions.
Kenny, I think you're misreading OCC. Most ATL businesses have said that they will not be reopening for sit-down service DESPITE what the governor has said. For anyone who doesn't know, the governor's order was meant to prevent self-employed folks from filing unemployment. If the governor had hair salons on lock down then stylists could file... however now they can't.

Restaurants are slightly different. They could always be open for take out. Some are, some aren't. But again, the idea is that waitstaff would be pulled off unemployment where they would earn more with the extra $600 + regular unemployment than they would have otherwise earned.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Kenny, I think you're misreading OCC.
OCC said "customers", not "employees", though- or am I still missing something here?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:07 pm

Kenny, I think you're misreading OCC. Most ATL businesses have said that they will not be reopening for sit-down service DESPITE what the governor has said. For anyone who doesn't know, the governor's order was meant to prevent self-employed folks from filing unemployment. If the governor had hair salons on lock down then stylists could file... however now they can't.

Restaurants are slightly different. They could always be open for take out. Some are, some aren't. But again, the idea is that waitstaff would be pulled off unemployment where they would earn more with the extra $600 + regular unemployment than they would have otherwise earned.

Kind of...

If your employer does not open then I am pretty sure you are still eligible for unemployment. SO until the employer calls you back to work you can draw unemployment. When I got laid off 20 years ago I got unemployment even though the company was still open and working.

However, for "gig workers" etc. this "opening" may affect their ability to access unemployment

So what I was saying above is that while the governor has said restaurants in Georgia, presumably even those at the airport, can now have "sit down, on site" dining most restaurants in my area of Atlanta are just ignoring this fact. They are still doing take out and delivery, but you will not be sitting down to a dinner there starting Monday.

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Apr 25, 2020 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
OCC said "customers", not "employees", though- or am I still missing something here?
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Restaurants in metro Atlanta aren't generally opening up for sit-down customers despite having restrictions removed because they know the customers aren't going to be going. Folks in my neighborhood are saying "no way will I go out".
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:38 pm

Folks in my neighborhood are saying "no way will I go out".
So, I had it right then? People in the airports I've spoken to are lamenting the closings.

... not only that, everybody (sane) that I know at least wishes they could go out and have a meal somewhere again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.