Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Repatriation and Cargo flights during COVID19 - Consolidated Thread

Old Apr 7, 20, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!

I just noticed tonight that DL8836 is flying ATL-BOM every other day... since when has DL been flying to BOM from ATL? It's leaving from an F gate, but may not be taking revenue pax.
Old Apr 7, 20, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
I just noticed tonight that DL8836 is flying ATL-BOM every other day... since when has DL been flying to BOM from ATL? It's leaving from an F gate, but may not be taking revenue pax.
It doesnt show as available for sale. It's likely for cargo.
Old Apr 7, 20, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could DL be operating rescue/repatriation flights for USA citizens/residents stranded in India and vv?
Old Apr 7, 20, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have a friend that worked one of them. It was for repatriation
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
I have a friend that worked one of them. It was for repatriation
I can second this. I had a friend on the flight that arrived yesterday. She had to go through the embassy to get a ticket.

Could this potentially be Delta's longest flight ever? It's about 80 miles longer than ATL-JNB and almost 700 miles longer than JFK-BOM
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
Could this potentially be Delta's longest flight ever? It's about 80 miles longer than ATL-JNB and almost 700 miles longer than JFK-BOM
DL operated ATL-BOM in 2008/2009.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by aacar View Post
There should be a sticky for this info!
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can second this. I had a friend on the flight that arrived yesterday. She had to go through the embassy to get a ticket.

Is there a reason for so many? This isn't a one time flight .
Old Apr 7, 20, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot of people? Limited loads for distancing purposes?
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aacar View Post
ATL-JFK-BOM-JFK-ATL was the original routing. For whatever reason they chose to drop the JFK segment and move it to ATL-BOM which was not surprisingly a miserable failure.
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM, AA-G, SPG-G, UA-S
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
ATL-JFK-BOM-JFK-ATL was the original routing. For whatever reason they chose to drop the JFK segment and move it to ATL-BOM which was not surprisingly a miserable failure.
My guess is so many of the JFK domestic flights are cancelled that ATL had to be used. Americans in India are probably going to many different cities in the US. So ATL makes the most sense. Surprised they need to operate so many flights. People should have gotten out. India closed down after the US shut down EU. Donít know what people were thinking. People should remember that most of the early cases in India were either foreigners visiting India (most from EU) or Indians returning from abroad (most EU or Dubai/ME). So shutting down the airports made sense IMHO (a la Israel). Repatriation flights have been running by different govts and AI.
Old Apr 7, 20, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC View Post
My guess is so many of the JFK domestic flights are cancelled that ATL had to be used. Americans in India are probably going to many different cities in the US. So ATL makes the most sense. Surprised they need to operate so many flights. People should have gotten out. India closed down after the US shut down EU. Donít know what people were thinking. People should remember that most of the early cases in India were either foreigners visiting India (most from EU) or Indians returning from abroad (most EU or Dubai/ME). So shutting down the airports made sense IMHO (a la Israel). Repatriation flights have been running by different govts and AI.
I think he was talking about the original commercial flights not the repatriation flights. As for why there are still people abroad, for her it was the cost a flight back home and that she was there for school, medical school program actually, but still.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think he was talking about the original commercial flights not the repatriation flights. As for why there are still people abroad, for her it was the cost a flight back home and that she was there for school, medical school program actually, but still.
Not to mention that things went to hell in a handbasket so fast that some people either (1) couldn't get on flights home before things locked up (witness the Surprise India Lockdown) or (2) couldn't afford to get on said flights (some airlines have arguably been milking those flights for all they could in terms of cost while others were legitimately selling out of Y and folks were getting "forced" into J/F).
Old Apr 7, 20, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
It's not quite every other day. So far there have been 3 flights - Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday, which is en route at time of posting. https://flightaware.com/live/findflight?origin=KATL&destination=VABB

Kind of an aside here, but the sheer scale of a full repatriation USA>India and vice versa would be astonishing. ~60k Americans live in India, and ~4m Indians live in the US, and obviously not all from either side will be going home. I couldn't find the numbers of permanent residents vs. those on work visas (H1Bs or similar). While the US is the third most populous country on Earth, behind India and China -- both India and China outnumber the US by 4:1 -- roughly 1.4 billion each, then the US at 330 million. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
Old Apr 7, 20, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The US government has arranged for two sets of repatriation flights for Americans stuck in India who want to get home: one is operated by UA from DEL to SFO for those in northern and eastern India, while the other one is the DL flight from BOM to ATL for those in the southern and western part of India. So far the flights have been scheduled to run this week (starting April 4).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: