Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Nope. All on either UA, AA, or DL. Often in basic Y, although all the fares on UA seem to be regular Y. This has almost never been true on these airlines. There is a reason they are losing tens of millions of dollars per day.
Yeah, basic Y isn't really all that relevant since it's a product specifically designed to compete with a ULCC. Take a look at some F fares.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I mean, at this point OBS has been beaten bloody, so I'd argue there's an element of "You're getting what you pay for". Combining the OBS situation with the situation at various airports really makes flying a sticky issue.

(Bear in mind that my mental pricing for a TCON F trip before all of this assumed that I wouldn't have to pay for any food or drinks en route, with the possible exception of at a small-ish originating airport, due to routing practices and the presence of lounges. That proposition is no longer present in the least since I'm not even sure I can get a meal at either an originating airport or at a connection.)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I'm not even arguing about that. I'm just saying travel is way down and business travel is next to nothing. It isn't surprising to find bargains, especially on a business heavy route.

While prices may have come back up some, they are not what they were before. Not even close.
Agreed, at least compared with pre-COVID levels. SEA-DTW is a cash cow for DL and I fly that a few times a year and fares are definitely down on it - walk up fares used to be around $600-700 one-way in Y and now they're selling them in the low $400s. Similar story for 7/14day advance purchase fares. However, back in April, DL was selling 21 advance purchase tickets (V/X fares) for $100 OW - those are now selling at about $200.

However, there are still markets where fares are still dirt cheap. I can find F fares on SEA-ORD selling for $159 OW ($80 premium over Y) 14 days before departure - those used to go for about $300. $159 in F on a 4 hour flight is just beyond ridiculous.

Sorry - misinterpreted your point on the pandemic. Let's just avoid opening that can of worms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.