Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Your Trip Details" emails = Flights won't cancel?

"Your Trip Details" emails = Flights won't cancel?

Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Question "Your Trip Details" emails = Flights won't cancel?

Yesterday evening and again this afternoon I received "Your Trip Details" emails (flight info plus links for upgrading, security procedures, upgrading, etc.) for a flight scheduled for Friday evening.

Is this just an automated message that was pre-programmed days/weeks ago to send now? Or is it a sign DL doesn't plan to cancel this particular flight?

Actually, I'm hoping they DO cancel it and have been waiting it out so they could do so. But if DL doesn't plan to cancel it I feel like I should notify them I am not flying rather than just not show up (even though they would automatically issue a credit/voucher at that point, right?). SO - How much time before scheduled departure should I do that in order for it to be useful to them?

FWIW, number of seats occupied showing is a half dozen or so on an RJ. (I know, it might be more, some people haven't selected, basic economy, blah blah blah) Also, many flights on that route are still available for purchase right now, with departures from early morning to well into the evening.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I have called to cancel flights a few times during this. Agents have said its not necessary and some wont even do it. They leave the flights as is and eventually eCredits show up.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Yesterday evening and again this afternoon I received "Your Trip Details" emails (flight info plus links for upgrading, security procedures, upgrading, etc.) for a flight scheduled for Friday evening.

Is this just an automated message that was pre-programmed days/weeks ago to send now? Or is it a sign DL doesn't plan to cancel this particular flight?

Actually, I'm hoping they DO cancel it and have been waiting it out so they could do so. But if DL doesn't plan to cancel it I feel like I should notify them I am not flying rather than just not show up (even though they would automatically issue a credit/voucher at that point, right?). SO - How much time before scheduled departure should I do that in order for it to be useful to them?

FWIW, number of seats occupied showing is a half dozen or so on an RJ. (I know, it might be more, some people haven't selected, basic economy, blah blah blah) Also, many flights on that route are still available for purchase right now, with departures from early morning to well into the evening.
My experience with observing AA has been they're cancelling flights 2 days in advance for any cancellations they're going to make. Which if you think about it makes sense, since within the 2 day window your flight planners/crew scheduling/etc will want pretty firm commitments on what they need to fill/prepare for. I'd assume DL would have a similar cut off, and you're unlikely to be cancelled within a 2 day window of departure (except for other reasons like IRROPs).

That being said, if you don't take the flight, they're automatically keeping all no-show tickets in open/unused status so the full value can be applied at a later time. This lets them keep call volumes down by not having people rush to rebook or cancel a ticket they're not going to use.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, DLASflyer and Lux Flyer. Certainly I would rather have a refund than a credit, but I figured I would cancel (as late as possible, of course) in case that helps their planning in any manner. If it won't, I might as well just no-show and not worry about canceling.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL seems to be cancelling many flights closer to the 24 hour mark while AA/UA are doing it somewhat earlier. Looking at a few routes like DTW-ORD and DTW-PIT, only 1 out of 4 or 5 flights are still operating on Thursday, but most of them are still showing as scheduled for Friday on delta.com. I'd be pretty confident most of the Friday flights will end up canceled tomorrow. I'd suggest you wait until tomorrow evening to see if the flight is still operating.
Kamalaasaa likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
They leave the flights as is and eventually eCredits show up.
How long is it taking for ecredits to show up? I no-showed for a flight six days ago after Delta IT wouldn't let me cancel online and calling yielded the phone message that I didn't have to worry about losing flight value. The web site says the ecredit will show up in 24 hours but I still don't see mine.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Does anyone know how the credit works if the flights were purchased with a combination of miles and $$? Somewhere I read that was one of the reason to call rather than so online. What happens to that ticket if I can’t get through or sit on hold for hours and just no show?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL seems to be cancelling many flights closer to the 24 hour mark while AA/UA are doing it somewhat earlier. Looking at a few routes like DTW-ORD and DTW-PIT, only 1 out of 4 or 5 flights are still operating on Thursday, but most of them are still showing as scheduled for Friday on delta.com. I'd be pretty confident most of the Friday flights will end up canceled tomorrow. I'd suggest you wait until tomorrow evening to see if the flight is still operating.
+1. My flight this past Sunday was cancelled on Sat evening. I found it funny they rebooked my 7pm departure for 6am even though there was a 5pm still scheduled.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Well, I got my notice to check in.

Also got upgraded to first - too bad I wont be using it.

(No, I didnt check in!)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by imescaping
Does anyone know how the credit works if the flights were purchased with a combination of miles and $$? Somewhere I read that was one of the reason to call rather than so online. What happens to that ticket if I cant get through or sit on hold for hours and just no show?
I think this post (184) in the refund/redeposit thread has a similar situation: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...l#post32231207

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.