Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I was greeted with this notification this morning before boarding.

Not that social distancing really mattered. Besides the crew there were only 9 on the flight. I took this picture after the door was closed! We were fully boarded.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Mar 29, 2020 at 7:46 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Delta permanently ceasing publication of Sky Magazine and laying off entire staff.

This is sad but I'm not surprised. Since the entire Sky Magazine staff is contracted out, the $58 billion airline bailout requiring airlines not to lay off employees doesn't apply here.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-sk...medium=twitter
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Shame.
will2288 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:02 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I forget how much weight removing the magazines from saves and the total fuel savings/CO2 reduction, but it's not insignificant.

It's sad that people are suffering for sure, but certainly this decision was clear that the added expense was not worth it during these times. I suspect that they might relaunch at some point. There was the PR aspect of the CEO's introduction (which I read each month that Iw as on a Delta flight).
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I can't say I'm shocked. I'm guessing they might run off a beefed-up flyer (indicating F&B options, etc.) when this blows over, but even there I think you'd see an advantage in being able to tailor the resulting card to the route(s) in question (so no listing Kuat with an asterisk that it only applies if you're flying to Brazil, for example).
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I can't say I'm shocked. I'm guessing they might run off a beefed-up flyer (indicating F&B options, etc.) when this blows over, but even there I think you'd see an advantage in being able to tailor the resulting card to the route(s) in question (so no listing Kuat with an asterisk that it only applies if you're flying to Brazil, for example).
Qantas has route specific (flight specific i.e. QF2) menu's. They all say Kiran* as a beer option (only on routes from/to Japan). The attention to detail/care isn't there.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by davem4
Qantas has route specific (flight specific i.e. QF2) menu's. They all say Kiran* as a beer option (only on routes from/to Japan). The attention to detail/care isn't there.
You mean Kirin? Something something attention to detail :-p
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I "read" the Sky Magazine only for (1)KenKen, (2)Suduco, (3)Crossword [in decreasing order of importance]--I'd guess lots of other pax, since I've often found those pages missing To just keep these should not be expensive.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
well , I actually have never read any airline magazine.. tired it once on AA, long ago.. found too much weird sticky stuff on the cover and back... put it back.. and that was that
but sorry to see the magazine go for those that liked it. (and the staff. )
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I always flipped through when there was a new issue. The note from Ed was nice and the route maps were cool. Oh well.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I forget how much weight removing the magazines from saves and the total fuel savings/CO2 reduction, but it's not insignificant.

It's sad that people are suffering for sure, but certainly this decision was clear that the added expense was not worth it during these times. I suspect that they might relaunch at some point. There was the PR aspect of the CEO's introduction (which I read each month that Iw as on a Delta flight).
While cost would certainly have played a big part in this, don't forget that those mags are touched by many and could be a material means of passing on germs. I believe some other Asian airlines have also removed inflight mags some time ago already at the start of this crisis.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I would usually spend about 4 minutes a month reading it. Mostly to see the picture of the featured airplane. But I'll still miss it.
KRSW and DLASflyer like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
I always enjoyed the mag, despite the dozens of advertisements. My preference was to pick up a pristine copy at the SC outbound. And very much enjoyed the crossword puzzle.
The comments about the germ/gum magnets can't be understated at this time. The weight save...might be 1-2 passenger per flight...they seem to run around 0.5 lbs each, so do the math on qty per flight. But it'll whack some cost from the bottom line, and nothing, aside from direct employees, is off limits.
Sad to see the mag go.
Gerbs and koreanair720 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:30 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Thanks China...and just to be clear is there anything I can touch when flying resumes?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Not the award winning Sky Magazine! Honestly, I was shocked they still kept them on board. I would think the total weight would justify removing them.
seawolf, KRSW and KenTarmac like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.