Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
The 3/25 wiki outlining Delta's new policies seems like a pretty weak social distancing effort. The airlines will need to come to grips quickly with some better approaches. Actually, every business needs to be doing this, both during the shutdown/lockdown period and then in the following weeks, when we will be back at work and trying to build a "new normal."

I am sure Delta will soon figure out how to serve a selection of beverages. SWA has for years had their flight attendants take orders for every seat on the plane and then fulfill them from trays loaded with the orders -- all made up at one time in the galley. It allows the prep and distribution to be done to higher standards. Fancy drinks can be had in single serve containers as well as everyday ones. Reworked boxed meals and snacks. Etc.

The snack basket needs ASAP to get completely out of the planes, not just offered on request, as it is a nightmare of unprotected touching. (Knowing these still are used would cause me not to fly in F.) Maybe we can request some things and have them handed out in plastic baggies, maybe by filling out a little order slip, or the snack box idea can be done/redone.

Restaurants are figuring all this out quickly. Placing orders in the back seat of cars, putting fast food in separate bags for each meal and then loading all into a cardboard carrier, etc.

Maybe someone has flown a short and a long F segment this week and can give a report? I have been sidelined since March 10.

Last edited by Justin026; Mar 27, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Justin026
The 3/25 wiki outlining Delta's new policies seems like a pretty weak social distancing effort. The airlines will need to come to grips quickly with some better approaches. Actually, every business needs to be doing this, both during the shutdown/lockdown period and then in the following weeks, when we will be back at work and trying to build a "new normal."

I am sure Delta will soon figure out how to serve a selection of beverages. SWA has for years had their flight attendants take orders for every seat on the plane and then fulfill them from trays loaded with the orders -- all made up at one time in the galley. It allows the prep and distribution to be done to higher standards. Fancy drinks can be had in single serve containers as well as everyday ones. Reworked boxed meals and snacks. Etc.

The snack basket needs ASAP to get completely out of the planes, not just offered on request, as it is a nightmare of unprotected touching. (Knowing these still are used would cause me not to fly in F.) Maybe we can request some things and have them handed out in plastic baggies, maybe by filling out a little order slip, or the snack box idea can be done/redone.

Restaurants are figuring all this out quickly. Placing orders in the back seat of cars, putting fast food in separate bags for each meal and then loading all into a cardboard carrier, etc.

Maybe someone has flown a short and a long F segment this week and can give a report? I have been sidelined since March 10.
So my routing was SJC-LAS-ATL and the handing out of water was very random. Short flight: FA came around with a tray with the small water bottles for me to grab and the actual snack basket (I refused both). Long flight: water was being handed out individually, FA just had a handful on her hands, then an additional water showed up on my armrest when I woke up.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I would imagine it is a tension between a hospitality expectation and sanitation needs.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Seems to me that a flight attendant could apply hand sanitizer, take orders, apply hand sanitizer, don gloves, make all the drinks, serve the drinks (placing them on the tray table or console). Later, pass through to pick up cups while wearing gloves. Change gloves once the pickup is complete. Then take orders for refills repeating the process.

From a safety standpoint, the flight attendants are protected any time they are wearing gloves (assuming they don't touch their face). The customers get a drink prepared in a plastic cup by a flight attendant wearing a new set of gloves. At that point, the only potential contamination is that someone who catered the plane had contaminated hands, which left viral particles on the miniatures or mixers, which the flight attendant transferred to the plastic cup, which was then touched by the customer. The same risk would be true for the water bottles, by the way.

Customers who are extra careful could always opt out of the drink service. But, personally, the thought of flying ATL-LAX in a front cabin seat and dealing with a bottle of water is repulsive to the point of making me not want to fly.

This has got to wrap up soon.
AANYC1981 and thestatuschaser like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I am glad to know that the most important factor in any flight decision is "can I get booze" LOL!

(Has Flyertalk ever considered an AA forum, sounds like we need it )
Lol if youre gonna be in the air for a few hours, why not?!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’d rather just not travel with these drastic DL changes and drink at home by the pool.

Luckily that’s the right thing to do 👍
JBa likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I do think making flights unpleasant and hotels unpleasant as well is part of the strategy right now.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I do think making flights unpleasant and hotels unpleasant as well is part of the strategy right now.
How are hotels being made unpleasant? I just stayed in a Westin for two nights and the only thing that was unpleasant was my own paranoia. (I disinfected the crap out of the room.) Still had daily cleaning, restaurant was operating (take out only) etc. Gym was closed, as it should be (and required by Virgina law)
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Today I did CHA-ATL-OKC. Both flights had water bottles out in FC. Even CHA-ATL served us Cheese-Its and Biscoffs during that short flight.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
These cuts would make Leo Mullin proud. They are clearly cost driven. Just absurd IMO.
While I have no problem with rational efforts to limit the potential for contagion (and won't be flying for quite some time, so I won't miss the beverages anyway ), I do wonder how quickly, and to what degree, DL will return to the old "normal." What milestone will have to be passed in order to trigger restoration of cabin services? To what degree will the prior practices be restored?

I am reminded of the emergency fuel surcharges that persisted long after the market conditions that prompted them no longer existed (on virtually all airlines, to be fair).

In the meantime, let's all try to stay safe and healthy.
volabam likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’d rather just not travel with these drastic DL changes and drink at home by the pool.

Luckily that’s the right thing to do 👍
I recall that, shortly after I started posting in this forum, someone chastised me for my screen name.

The suggestion was the someone who selected the screen name StayingHomeIsBetter just didn't have the proper attitude to participate in a travel-related forum. (True story)

It took 12 years to prove me prescient.

Unrelated factoid: Remember, if you are mixing your own hand sanitizer at home, it much be at least 60% alcohol to be effective.
BamaGirl, DLASflyer and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow....even AA is at least boarding alcohol in FC....these DL cuts seem a little drastic.
Google "1918 pandemic alcohol as a cure" and see how prevalent was the belief that alcohol was a curative for the flu (or, at least, an analgesic).

Perhaps DL does not want to be accused of practicing medicine without a license.

AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
I'm a longtime DM and I'm more likely to buy an F ticket on United or AA to get proper food & drink service now. Totally understand the need to reduce touch points for crew but also, this seems like they're really going out their way to lose the few premium flyers that might still travel should the need arise.
Anyone still flying now should be doing so for pretty much emergency purposes only. "Proper food & drink service" should not be a concern unless you are completely out of touch with what is going on right now. Just be glad the airlines haven't thrown in the towel and stopped flying completely for the next few weeks / months, and be glad they are still wiling to get you to where you "need" to go.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:13 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
6hrs, then you get ecredit for international. Only if you haven't used in one year is refunded.

As for drinks/meals beyond the fact I feel needed on certain long routes, it's the lying. Simply say you're cutting them. Don't sit here and feed me a line of BS that it's for safety.
I agree with you. I am a front line health care worker, and don't see any difference in infection risk between handing out a bottle of water versus a can of soda. Same point of contact, and similar food safety from the source of catering. Cost cutting is necessary for pretty much all industries at this time, which I think we all aren't arguing about.

United and AA has an opportunity to poach the premium fliers that Delta took so long to market and cultivate if the financial cuts are in place for more than a year.
volabam likes this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Mar 29, 2020 at 1:19 am Reason: Changed.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:13 am

It's equal to a money savings. Lower overhead. Lower aircraft weight. Less down station catering. In-flight had also been asked, and reported, that in-flight consumption was way down and post flight accounting proved so.

Keeping standard first class or coach class service is simply a non-designator right now. Delta chose to go with bare mins knowing load factors would remain around 20% or lower on average despite any in-flight offerings.

Originally Posted by Justin026

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.