Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
This....

Were I a FA, I would appreciate lesser F2F contact. It’s not like one could easily put a plexiglass barrier up for all interactions.
And if a passenger were to take off the mask in mid-flight?

I view the benefit of service reduction as risk mitigation.
A concern for employees... and asymptomatic spread to passengers.
I feel safer traveling like this, than I would with full service.
See I by this for reducing on demand service and real glassware, but how is walking through the aisle in F with a few options any more contact than walking through with one. You could even do without getting out the full cart. Delta use to do second passes on longer flights even in Y with just coffee/water choice and if you wanted a special thing it was subject to time/FA preference. I don’t see why the choice was to cut everything to just water v. Say we will do one pass with limited choices. I understand limiting contact but seems like in F you could at least offer say Diet Coke, Coke, Sprite, Orange Juice, or Water or even canned beer/Y little bottles of wine options. Pretty much everyone else seems to be able to do that in F and it would provide some incentive to buy up. We are talking maybe a second or two difference in timing so again, I don’t fully buy the safety argument. There’s a wide range between full unlimited service and the current incredibly restrictive option.
BenA likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by No_Name
Aside from the cost, the reduced cabin service is also a mechanism for reducing cabin crew contact with passengers. Plus, and I don't know if DL is doing this, the packages can be sterilized more effectively than a standard beverage cart configuration.
If they can hand out a flight fuel box, they can hand out a can of Coke. Someone over reacted and now we're being told we get "premium" water for our safety. AFAIK noother airline went to extreme of water only for F/J passengers.
mrspilot, kthomas, cmd320 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How can Ed just completely ignore the issues that DL is facing? This is getting tone deaf for anyone that is trying to fly DL these days.
kthomas and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:09 pm

I doubt Ed even read that email before marketing sent it. It's the same as the rest with minor tweaks here and there to account for what's going on currently.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Heading to AA for the rest of the year...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by buckeye91
Heading to AA for the rest of the year...
If you get a bad apple AA FA just know you can request whatever you want. Their galley carts are stocked!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Catering - Snacks and Water

Sorry if this has already been asked here. I've been away since March (due to no flying) so I didn't feel like scrolling or searching. Have mercy on my laziness.

I know that DL has removed what we knew as standard service and replaced it with 'snacks and water' to minimize crew to passenger contact. I believe that DL has pushed the 60% capacity and middle seat blocking through sept 30. Is the catering adjustment in any way tied to that? I currently have several flights booked in Q4 that still show snacks and water, and even looking at flights in march of '21 show that to be the case (for all cabins).

Anyone have any thoughts on when catering might start to go back to something more than just a Dasani?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

You’re asking the million dollar question which from Ed’s note today means don’t expect anything soon.

If you care about any type of inflight service DL is not your airline.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCAJen
See I by this for reducing on demand service and real glassware, but how is walking through the aisle in F with a few options any more contact than walking through with one. You could even do without getting out the full cart. Delta use to do second passes on longer flights even in Y with just coffee/water choice and if you wanted a special thing it was subject to time/FA preference. I don’t see why the choice was to cut everything to just water v. Say we will do one pass with limited choices. I understand limiting contact but seems like in F you could at least offer say Diet Coke, Coke, Sprite, Orange Juice, or Water or even canned beer/Y little bottles of wine options. Pretty much everyone else seems to be able to do that in F and it would provide some incentive to buy up. We are talking maybe a second or two difference in timing so again, I don’t fully buy the safety argument. There’s a wide range between full unlimited service and the current incredibly restrictive option.
I feel like if there's a will, there's a way here. If I were in charge, I might cook up a serve-yourself can selection display on top of a cart for F: beer, red and white wine splits, regular and diet Coke, Sprite and Fresca. The cart could be parked in the corner of the galley during flight, away from F/A seating - no more risky to staff than passenger passing by to use the restroom. Put an upside down plastic cup over each to protect the surface from contamination. No ice available.

I don't think having an F/A hand over a passenger's choice of beverage from a display on a top of a cart would add significant risk, either, given that everyone is now masked to prevent droplet spread while orders are placed. No PDB, refills only on demand from the galley cart.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
I feel like if there's a will, there's a way here. If I were in charge, I might cook up a serve-yourself can selection display on top of a cart for F: beer, red and white wine splits, regular and diet Coke, Sprite and Fresca. The cart could be parked in the corner of the galley during flight, away from F/A seating - no more risky to staff than passenger passing by to use the restroom. Put an upside down plastic cup over each to protect the surface from contamination. No ice available.

I don't think having an F/A hand over a passenger's choice of beverage from a display on a top of a cart would add significant risk, either, given that everyone is now masked to prevent droplet spread while orders are placed. No PDB, refills only on demand from the galley cart.
Absolutely. For all the management folks at DL you would think someone could come up with something if they wanted to.

It’s becoming more apparent that the will part isn’t there though.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmd320
Absolutely. For all the management folks at DL you would think someone could come up with something if they wanted to.

It’s becoming more apparent that the will part isn’t there though.
The really weird thing about this is that they still do a full service in international Delta One, which kind of directly undermines the strongest safety arguments and reveals it's more about cost cutting measures.
hurnik, cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
The really weird thing about this is that they still do a full service in international Delta One, which kind of directly undermines the strongest safety arguments and reveals it's more about cost cutting measures.
Absolutely. 100% cost cutting. Obviously on international they still do the service to remain relevant. If they were confident people would still pay the same price for D1 without any food they’d probably dump it there too.

What is really the most surprising to me though is how far behind AA DL is at this point.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
[QUOTE=cmd320;32449561What is really the most surprising to me though is how far behind AA DL is at this point.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember a time in recent memory where DL was behind AA in anything. Except alphabetically...
cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
I can't remember a time in recent memory where DL was behind AA in anything. Except alphabetically...
Get used to it based on Ed’s email today.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
I think Delta is smart to be doing what it is dong. I have seen more than one news story about a packed United flight, none about a packed Delta flight. If something happens on AA and UA with COVID-19, the press will be all over it as to why they did not do what delta did. I think this also makes Delta look good to business which are worried about liability of having employees travel.
ab2013 and cfabar1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.