Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm a little surprised by them in the jumpseats given the slew of empty space on almost all flights at this point. Is there any rule saying they couldn't take (making up a number here) 25D instead?
As Flyer0889 said, it is an FAA requirement. The jumpseat can be broken, but the Flight Attendant has to occupy the nearest seat to the broken jumpseat, so that would be 01B/C or whatever exit row towards the back.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by givionte
I already feel my Delta long-haul from Incheon to Seattle is going to consist of a prepackaged microwaved hot dog from 7-11, and can of tuna at this rate.
Microwaved hot dog, you wish. Corn dog, baby.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow....even AA is at least boarding alcohol in FC....these DL cuts seem a little drastic.
I wouldn't bank on that for long. There are critical issues within the supply chain with airline catering. Give it a day or so.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is ridiculous for long flights. I get most of the changes. However not offering cans of soda/juice (without cup/ice) has no safety effect. Restaurants are even in most places (though this changes by the day) allowed to have you eat in. They just have to ensure social distancing.

I cant wait till a diabetic on a LAX-JFK or HNL-ATL goes into diabetic shock from low sugar levels. Not having food will only increase these incidents. Not having juice/soda will mean no way to counter the low blood sugar level.

I dont think anyone argues with DL imposing ordered/requested safety measures. However these are not ordered, requested, or even recommended safety measures. These are DL being cheap and not thinking about fact people need actual food/drink especially on long flights.

I have several diabetic friends. They all seem to understand that it's THEIR responsibility not the airlines or other strangers to make sure they have food etc. So since they have brains they will make sure they are prepared if they have to get on a plane

Honestly if you can't survive without food for the length of your flight then you should ALWAYS have been prepared. Calling what Delta serves as food is questionable IMHO.
seowitz and Flyer0889 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
OKC-ATL today: during flight the tray came around with bottled water, Bischoffs, and cheese-its.
FAs were wearing blue gloves. My gloves were transparent put to good use for running swipes to every point I would touch during flight.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I have several diabetic friends. They all seem to understand that it's THEIR responsibility not the airlines or other strangers to make sure they have food etc. So since they have brains they will make sure they are prepared if they have to get on a plane

Honestly if you can't survive without food for the length of your flight then you should ALWAYS have been prepared. Calling what Delta serves as food is questionable IMHO.
Any diabetic shouldn’t even be traveling right now as they are at a higher risk for COVID-19. They have a lot more things to worry about than the meal being served on their flight.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by A321neo
hey, I should add that my concern here is that these cuts are made for financial/cost control reasons, rather than health. If these were legitimate health concerns, wouldn’t the changes have been made early last week when we shut down the rest of the service economy?

Maybe because, like everyone else on the planet, it takes some time to reach decisions on how serious this is and what they should do in response, in the face of a flood of information of varying accuracy in a situation that is constantly evolving? And even when you make a decision, you might decide to revisit it later in the light of new information.
Flyer0889 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter

DL still advertises meals/drinks on those flights. They still price F as if it includes it. I too know numerous diabetics. It's not their fault that DL has stated they're providing a service and not providing it. Also should be noted more and more airport restaurants/ convenience stores are closed.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I wouldn't bank on that for long. There are critical issues within the supply chain with airline catering. Give it a day or so.
I won’t hold my breath....
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:10 pm

This is ridiculous for long flights. I get most of the changes. However not offering cans of soda/juice (without cup/ice) has no safety effect. Restaurants are even in most places (though this changes by the day) allowed to have you eat in. They just have to ensure social distancing.

I cant wait till a diabetic on a LAX-JFK or HNL-ATL goes into diabetic shock from low sugar levels. Not having food will only increase these incidents. Not having juice/soda will mean no way to counter the low blood sugar level.

I dont think anyone argues with DL imposing ordered/requested safety measures. However these are not ordered, requested, or even recommended safety measures. These are DL being cheap and not thinking about fact people need actual food/drink especially on long flights.
There are supplies in the emergency medical kit for hypoglycemia. That is a non issue. Additionally, anyone who is diabetic should already be traveling with measures to prevent that, but especially today (they really shouldn’t be traveling at all).

The company delayed these changes as long as possible, but the reality is a full beverage service is a lot of touch points between the FA and every row. I grasp the cup from the base and every person still insists on overlapping hands with me to grab their bev. I can’t realistically prevent exposure to everyone else with a normal service.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
There are supplies in the emergency medical kit for hypoglycemia. That is a non issue. Additionally, anyone who is diabetic should already be traveling with measures to prevent that, but especially today (they really shouldn’t be traveling at all).

The company delayed these changes as long as possible, but the reality is a full beverage service is a lot of touch points between the FA and every row. I grasp the cup from the base and every person still insists on overlapping hands with me to grab their bev. I can’t realistically prevent exposure to everyone else with a normal service.
I’d love to be flying again and support DL & AA (before people start bashing me I have been in isolation for a week now) but these egregious changes will not make me book any flights.
givionte likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Can we get DL to issue meal vouchers at the airport for flights that would have included a meal + drinks?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer0889
This would require a waiver from the FAA. Currently only adjustments can be made if the jumpseat is inoperative in accordance with current procedures.
What about the so-called turbulence seats on some aircraft?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:46 pm

Cutting beverage service in first seems pretty drastic. Can't the FAs wear gloves and have people take it directly from the tray?

Also what are they doing about the few true long-haul flights that are still existing? You're supposed to go 8-10 hours without food and/or nothing besides room temperature water?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Cutting beverage service in first seems pretty drastic. Can't the FAs wear gloves and have people take it directly from the tray?
Gloves prevent anything on the FA's hands from contaminating the glassware, and vice versa. But they won't prevent cross-contamination between pax. e.g. as Flyer0889 says, a lot of people have an instinct to want to grab the glass as securely as possible meaning that their hands touch the FA's hands. Even if the FA's hands are gloved, something could get transmitted from pax A, to the outside of the gloves, to the glassware for pax B.

If it were up to me, my first draft of how to do a service under these conditions would be something like

1. FAs sanitize hands before making drinks, which hopefully they're already doing
2. make an announcement: please do not grab for the drink. Let the FA set it on the console.
3. deliver drinks 2 at a time without using a tray to minimize the chances of pax->FA->pax interactions.

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Also what are they doing about the few true long-haul flights that are still existing? You're supposed to go 8-10 hours without food and/or nothing besides room temperature water?
Some people prefer room temperature water interesting question though. Per post 23 (and copied to the wiki) domestic flights including D1 over 900 miles are getting a prepackaged flight fuel box, so I imagine they're doing at least that for international flights, but I'm just guessing. Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in.

DL still advertises meals/drinks on those flights. They still price F as if it includes it.
I'm curious, in your opinion how much should F-without-a-meal be discounted compared to F-with-a-meal?
seowitz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.