Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
You pretty much answered your own question. Drinks will be available (sodas, juices, beers, wine, cocktails). I would expect a pass or two of the snack basket to accompany the drinks so if you want something more substantial to eat onboard, you may want to pick-up something in the terminal.

Awful stuff, I will be flying LAX-PVR in August (International flight) and a couple of rounds of the snack box is all that we will get, crisps, goldfish crackers, some sweet bar and biscuits (Biscoff)
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Perhaps "Schedule Change Saturday" will become "Meal Removal Saturday" for Delta IT today. Then they can say then never promised you a meal in the first place.

Clearly someone in Risk Management is aware of these thousands of instances of false advertising all over their website. Earnings are out of the way. It's time to level with their Premium customers no matter what it takes Just come clean and address the service issues with an accurate timeline and an apology at a minimum.

I have no status on UA, B6, or AA and have updated my dormant FF accounts, added the apps to my phone and am ready to pay cash for F there on my next booking if need be. Got plenty of MQM to keep DM for a few years.
Even if the new “meals” rolled out as scheduled on July 13th, DL is still listing false advertising on their website. When you click on Meal Service details it list a picture of a plated meal which is false advertising itself as the new meals will not be plated and will be boxed.

cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by demkr
I'm not sure I would have the guts to do a chargeback on a flight, but good for Amex for sticking up for customers. Airlines have got to stop false advertising.
According to AMEX, they have had an overwhelming number of backcharge requests against DL recently. Can't say I'm surprised. At least I have never opened a backcharge for an international F or J ticket but if DL is choosing to outright lie about its products and services, I don't have an issue letting AMEX know.

It's ridiculous how DL is trying to convince us that serving meals on short transatlantic flights to Basic/Main pax won't bring Covid and yet doing the same to F pax on longer domestic flights such as ATL/JFK - ANC will lead to infection. Please!
demkr, cmd320, GagaPilot and 1 others like this.

Last edited by fly747first; Jul 17, 2021 at 12:44 pm
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fly747first
According to AMEX, they have had an overwhelming number of backcharge requests against DL recently. Can't say I'm surprised. At least I have never opened a backcharge for an international F or J ticket but if DL is choosing to outright lie about its products and services, I don't have an issue letting AMEX know.

It's ridiculous how DL is trying to convince us that serving meals on short transatlantic flights to Basic/Main pax won't bring Covid and yet doing the same to F pax on longer domestic flights such as ATL/JFK - ANC will lead to infection. Please!
I’d also assume DLs dishonest is also affecting AMEX and their cobranded DL credit cards. Right now, DL still has yet to return to their normal zoned boarding process and is still boarding back-to-front months after ending seat blocking while not honoring DL AmEx cardholders their priority boarding benefit that is guaranteed in the DL cards current terms and conditions.
fly747first and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d also assume DLs dishonest is also affecting AMEX and their cobranded DL credit cards. Right now, DL still has yet to return to their normal zoned boarding process and is still boarding back-to-front months after ending seat blocking while not honoring DL AmEx cardholders their priority boarding benefit that is guaranteed in the DL cards current terms and conditions.
Yep, great point and it's just a matter of time before AMEX says enough, increasing sign on bonuses isn't helping because people don't believe in your product, DL
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You are not missing out on snack boxes anyway. Personally, I really don't like either snackbox options (nor on UA, so this is not just on DL). I usually get real food on short haul flights prior to boarding the plane - either eat in the terminal or bring on board.
What? Those snack boxes are artisan crafted by the finest chefs in the world. The single stick of beef jerky is lovely; however, the “pizza-favored puffed food product” is simply to die for. Savor and enjoy!
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
What? Those snack boxes are artisan crafted by the finest chefs in the world. The single stick of beef jerky is lovely; however, the “pizza-favored puffed food product” is simply to die for. Savor and enjoy!
So which celebrity chef will Delta pay off to market these? The Bistro Box by Gordon Ramsay…
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
So which celebrity chef will Delta pay off to market these? The Bistro Box by Gordon Ramsay…
Chef Skittles? DL really wants premium passengers to taste the rainbow of snacks lol
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You would need to fly DL's most hated airlines, mainly Emirates and Qatar, for that type of service and you can even add designer pajamas and amenity kits
Trust me, I do .
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
D1 AMS-SEA meals on Friday, July 16. The coconut soup was actually pretty amazing For the pre-arrival meal, I opted for the cheeseburger and was pleasantly surprised. Cylindrical butter was a new thing; must be a Dutch thing. Of course, as always, the butter was nearly frozen and therefore rock hard and unspreadable until I warmed it between my palms for a minute.

First meal, Delta One, AMS-SEA July 16 2021

Pre-arrival meal, Delta One, AMS-SEA, July 16, 2021
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by andrewk829; Jul 17, 2021 at 10:30 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewk829
D1 AMS-SEA meals on Friday, July 16. The coconut soup was actually pretty amazing For the pre-arrival meal, I opted for the cheeseburger and was pleasantly surprised. Cylindrical butter was a new thing; must be a Dutch thing. Of course, as always, the butter was nearly frozen and therefore rock hard and unspreadable until I warmed it between my palms for a minute.

First meal, Delta One, AMS-SEA July 16 2021

Pre-arrival meal, Delta One, AMS-SEA, July 16, 2021
That hamburger looks exactly to what DL used to serve in domestic F on short flights such as FLL DTW prior to Covid
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've got a couple of domestic trans-cons in the next few weeks, and *as of now* stand a decent shot of an UG on several. Guess I won't be expecting any meals if they do happen. And, FWIW, it's DL's lack of service in F that caused me to buy Y on these routes and take the UG to C+. I can't justify paying the high F prices without meal service any longer.

DL, if you are listening, you are losing money from your premium customers because of your lack of service. It's simply inexcusable and the whole "Covid thing" is getting old.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That hamburger looks exactly to what DL used to serve in domestic F on short flights such as FLL DTW prior to Covid
FWIW it also looks exactly the same as a pre-arrival meal I had either to or from AMS pre-COVID, so it's not suprising to see it here as well.

EDIT: correction, I went back and found it, it was MAD-JFK.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by Zorak; Jul 17, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I've got a couple of domestic trans-cons in the next few weeks, and *as of now* stand a decent shot of an UG on several. Guess I won't be expecting any meals if they do happen. And, FWIW, it's DL's lack of service in F that caused me to buy Y on these routes and take the UG to C+. I can't justify paying the high F prices without meal service any longer.

DL, if you are listening, you are losing money from your premium customers because of your lack of service. It's simply inexcusable and the whole "Covid thing" is getting old.
I think that just about everyone is sick of Winnie the Flu being used to cover for things. At least in the restaurant/hotel industry, it's arguably "because the pandemic screwed up our manpower models" (nevermind that the underlying question of those models working or not on some level has been suspect given the exceedingly low base wages for many servers, housekeeping staff, etc.). With airlines, it's not like the on-board crew requirements have changed.

But at the rate things are going, even when I'm up for flying again (which presupposes the mask mandate goes away) I'm simply planning not to fly a long-haul flight on Delta until they fix this. I'd say I'd flip to B6, but I'm looking at Mint fares and those are in the stratosphere versus where they used to be...and if I had to guess, it's this being abandoned that's causing a lot of "paid premium" traffic to "fudge over".

(Mint fares seem to be showing up about...I'd say 20-40% higher than they did from what I recall pre-pandemic. Some of that is likely "organic" product growth, but I can't help but point to the Big Three waving their hands at the pandemic as cover to cut costs on otherwise-full flights as an easy source for some traffic...er...flying over there.)
Old Jul 18, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d also assume DLs dishonest is also affecting AMEX and their cobranded DL credit cards.
I think we're talking about a minuscule portion of the customer base who actually cares (not unheard of on FT). According to Q2 earnings, the AMEX relationship is doing great. Card spend is up over 2019 despite travel spend not fully recovering yet. I'm all for reasonable chargebacks but I can't imagine it's that big of an issue. Would it make everyone feel better if they changed the photos to snack boxes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.