Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by zeke3
DL catering is definitely one or two steps below office break room vending machines, unless you also include the pre-made sandwich wedges from the SC.
I think overnight busses in South America offer better....
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
I think overnight busses in South America offer better....
As someone who takes a 7-hour overnight bus in South America once every couple of years, I can say you are right. We stop half way, in the middle of the night (3:00am), in a place that you can buy beers, hot meals, and Virgin Mary mugs.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pampa
How about FC SEA-CUN mid to late June? Are they still just offering boxed meals and not hot meals? It's a 2684 mile trip....
No meals for FC flights over 1500 miles until July 13th (except for BOS-SEA/LAX and SEA-JFK FC flights which begins June 15th). It will be a snack box with pre-packaged snacks.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 3, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am not a Delta flyer. We have F tickets in late June to fly SAN-SEA-FAI. I've read the wiki. Is it true that we only get boxed meals? Honestly, I'm shocked. We were on an AS flight Monday that served a hot meal of a decent sirloin steak with sides.
Boxed meals do not begin until July 13th for FC flights (over 1500 miles, SEA-FAI qualifies, SAN-SEA does not). Your flights will have the snack boxes with pre-packaged non-fresh snack items which they are currently serving. DL has updated the info on flight itins and meal flights will say Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner on them. Those without will just say Snacks, Drinks under Meal Services.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 4, 2021 at 3:33 am
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
At this point I'm not sure why meals are able to return to flights over 1500mi but not flights over 900mi. Does anyone have insight on that and is this somehow still related to COVID in some roundabout way?
Speaking with DL FA, so take however wish, the issue is catering companies hiring. They let everyone go and can't get enough hired.

Considering DL is needing to ask for help in lounges, this I can believe.
cmd320 and itsabravenewworld like this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Speaking with DL FA, so take however wish, the issue is catering companies hiring. They let everyone go and can't get enough hired.

If that's the case, Delta should front the cash for signup bonuses and temporary wage bumps (or better yet, just pay the catering staff a half-decent wage in general).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
If that's the case, Delta should front the cash for signup bonuses and temporary wage bumps (or better yet, just pay the catering staff a half-decent wage in general).
The issue though is the catering companies handle more than just Delta. The same staff does United, American, Alaska, Spirit, etc, in exact same kitchen. Delta fronting sign-up bonus is going to benefit everyone else too.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles (Platinum), Hertz Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hotel Tonight Level 10 Statuses.
Just got the notification that I got upgraded on BOS-LAX on Sunday to First on a 738. Any chance at all of *ANY* sort of substantial meal on this route yet? The snack boxes in F on LAX-AUS were absolutely terrible. They seem like they've actually got worse since late last year.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N590UA
Just got the notification that I got upgraded on BOS-LAX on Sunday to First on a 738. Any chance at all of *ANY* sort of substantial meal on this route yet? The snack boxes in F on LAX-AUS were absolutely terrible. They seem like they've actually got worse since late last year.
Brace yourself, you're about to experience the exact same two options from your LAX-AUS flight.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO

United and Alaska will have by mid June (or already have) hot meals for 1000+ flights for first class. Maybe they have less flights?

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...t-class-meals/

Last edited by pampa; Jun 4, 2021 at 4:27 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
How do you see that working, exactly?

Delta is going to go to a company that they hired through a competitive bidding process and say "Hey! Here's a couple million extra bucks so that you can provide the service that you signed a contract saying that you would provide"????

Maybe the company with the catering contract should do whatever *they* need to do in order to fulfill the contract that they agreed to - whether that's an increased wage for the line employees, a bonus for returning, or some other benefit. Why would Delta (or any other company in the same situation) spend additional money to get something that they already paid for? If there was a long line at your grocery store, and the manager came by and apologized for the wait - saying that they were shorthanded and having trouble finding people to work, would you hand her 100 bucks and tell her to use it to attract employees back?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N590UA
See Wiki. BOS-SEA/LAX and JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX are among routes scheduled to get hot meals in June, but not until June 15th. I suppose there could be a very small possibility that what DL currently lists under "Meal Services:" for these flights is incorrect, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:30 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question D1 JFK-LAX - what's the food situation these days?

Hard to tell what the food service is in D1 between JFK to LAX...has full service been restored? Sounded like from all the blog posts that it should be but can't really tell.
Any one been on these domestic D1 flights recently? I'll also be in the PS service MSP to KEF, which I assume is going to be more like domestic first service....
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
MSP to KEF will have meal service. JFK-LAX, unsure. It was supposed to be restored early June. Log into your booking and check -- I have find the description to be accurate on onboard services.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please see master in-flight services thread as this has been discussed there for the last week --

Domestic meals resume June 15th on select D1/FC routes -- JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX. Meals on remaining domestic D1 routes and FC flights over 1500 miles resume on July 13th (likely boxed meals on the FC flights based on previous DL statements).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 6, 2021 at 4:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.