Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Old Mar 24, 20, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*



For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Old Mar 25, 21, 4:07 pm
  #3346  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,770
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Dry ice can. It's never in a liquid state.
I think that a more accurate answer would be "maybe, but I wouldn't count on it"

Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:05 pm
  #3347  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,095
I've flown AA in First and Coach a fair amount the past 12 months. There are definitely some pros and cons. In first, I do like the fact you can get a bloody mary or a vodka soda, and they usually give you a cup of ice, two minis and a can of mixer. Their fruit and cheese plate is on par with a Delta snack box. The sandwich is just ok, maybe marginally better. I have found service to actually be pretty good up front on AA. In pre-covid days, DL F was way better than AA F. I'd put them roughly equal for soft product during Covid, especially if you can get on one of AA's newer A321s or a rare 737 with PTVs. I honestly don't get why people think AA is so much better than DL up front. Maybe on the JFK transcons, but that's about it. Regular domestic flights are on par.

As for coach, Delta is hands down better than AA with better snacks, wine and beer in Comfort Plus and much more attentive flight attendants. I flew DFW-MKE-DFW on AA, there was actually ZERO service on the almost 3hr flight in coach. They made one pass through F in both directions.
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 11:32 am
  #3348  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 25,747
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I've flown AA in First and Coach a fair amount the past 12 months. There are definitely some pros and cons. In first, I do like the fact you can get a bloody mary or a vodka soda, and they usually give you a cup of ice, two minis and a can of mixer. Their fruit and cheese plate is on par with a Delta snack box. The sandwich is just ok, maybe marginally better. I have found service to actually be pretty good up front on AA. In pre-covid days, DL F was way better than AA F. I'd put them roughly equal for soft product during Covid, especially if you can get on one of AA's newer A321s or a rare 737 with PTVs. I honestly don't get why people think AA is so much better than DL up front. Maybe on the JFK transcons, but that's about it. Regular domestic flights are on par.

As for coach, Delta is hands down better than AA with better snacks, wine and beer in Comfort Plus and much more attentive flight attendants. I flew DFW-MKE-DFW on AA, there was actually ZERO service on the almost 3hr flight in coach. They made one pass through F in both directions.
What are you talking about? DL has had ZERO service other than a bag with water bottle and bag of goldfish. Even D1 transcon doesn't get drinks and only gets a snack box. AA sandwich is luxurious in comparison.

As for zero service, did you ask for a drink? It's on request.
p100a, cmd320, Yellowjj and 1 others like this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 12:58 pm
  #3349  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What are you talking about? DL has had ZERO service other than a bag with water bottle and bag of goldfish. Even D1 transcon doesn't get drinks and only gets a snack box. AA sandwich is luxurious in comparison.

As for zero service, did you ask for a drink? It's on request.
In Delta first class you currently get wine and beer on all flights over 500 miles as well as a choice of snack boxes (on flights over 750 miles I think). That's more than "ZERO" While true that D1 transcons don't get cocktails, they do get wine, beer and water. I admit AA is better up front on the transcons. But it's not an easy argument to make that the AA sandwich or "cheese plate" is much better than the choice of snack boxes on regular domestic first flights. Slightly better with the full bar, yes, I will agree with that, but you could also make an argument that at least for now, having seat blocking in F, with wine, beer and snack boxes was at least equal to or better than AA's regular domestic first offering.

The AA flight attendants to MKE specifically made an announcement both ways that there would be no service in coach. They didn't even pass out their water bottles with the crappy pretzels. Again, with seat blocking, and wine and beer offered in Comfort Plus, I would certainly say that DL's current coach product beats AA hands down, especially considering that all but the 717 mainline now have PTVs, new cabins and more friendly crews.
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:05 pm
  #3350  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,295
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
In Delta first class you currently get wine and beer on all flights over 500 miles as well as a choice of snack boxes (on flights over 750 miles I think). That's more than "ZERO" While true that D1 transcons don't get cocktails, they do get wine, beer and water. I admit AA is better up front on the transcons. But it's not an easy argument to make that the AA sandwich or "cheese plate" is much better than the choice of snack boxes on regular domestic first flights. Slightly better with the full bar, yes, I will agree with that, but you could also make an argument that at least for now, having seat blocking in F, with wine, beer and snack boxes was at least equal to or better than AA's regular domestic first offering.

The AA flight attendants to MKE specifically made an announcement both ways that there would be no service in coach. They didn't even pass out their water bottles with the crappy pretzels. Again, with seat blocking, and wine and beer offered in Comfort Plus, I would certainly say that DL's current coach product beats AA hands down, especially considering that all but the 717 mainline now have PTVs, new cabins and more friendly crews.
How is AA not better on nontranscons in F? They provide full beverage service and sandwiches or fruit plates on many flights. I have been on flights such as JAX ATL where DL didn't even provide bottles of water in F.

Also, DL isn't blocking ANY seats on Delta None flights operated by widebodies. As for DL having more friendly crew, you are absolutely right... so friendly that they don't want to do any service and on most flights just sit next to each other gossiping whilst directly violating Covid protocols.
flyerCO likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:16 pm
  #3351  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 25,747
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
In Delta first class you currently get wine and beer on all flights over 500 miles as well as a choice of snack boxes (on flights over 750 miles I think). That's more than "ZERO" While true that D1 transcons don't get cocktails, they do get wine, beer and water. I admit AA is better up front on the transcons. But it's not an easy argument to make that the AA sandwich or "cheese plate" is much better than the choice of snack boxes on regular domestic first flights. Slightly better with the full bar, yes, I will agree with that, but you could also make an argument that at least for now, having seat blocking in F, with wine, beer and snack boxes was at least equal to or better than AA's regular domestic first offering.

The AA flight attendants to MKE specifically made an announcement both ways that there would be no service in coach. They didn't even pass out their water bottles with the crappy pretzels. Again, with seat blocking, and wine and beer offered in Comfort Plus, I would certainly say that DL's current coach product beats AA hands down, especially considering that all but the 717 mainline now have PTVs, new cabins and more friendly crews.
Wine/beer is not a true offering for sizable portion of population. Also it's not a real offering for a 6am flight.

Not sure how you can say the AA sandwich/yogurt morning mix is anyway same as junk box.

Lastly, there's no walk through service on AA in Y. However you can request a drink. Big difference between no drinks and having to request them.

Note for DL seat blocking doesn't happen on D1 equipment. Also for regionals only one side has seat blocking.

Bottom line DL charges more, provide no drinks (except for those that drink beer/wine) and zero non-junk food.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:27 pm
  #3352  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by fly747first
How is AA not better on nontranscons in F? They provide full beverage service and sandwiches or fruit plates on many flights. I have been on flights such as JAX ATL where DL didn't even provide bottles of water in F.

Also, DL isn't blocking ANY seats on Delta None flights operated by widebodies. As for DL having more friendly crew, you are absolutely right... so friendly that they don't want to do any service and on most flights just sit next to each other gossiping whilst directly violating Covid protocols.
Pro to AA - They offer a full bar to DL's Wine/Beer in F
Pro to DL - They offer seat blocking in domestic F planes
Pro to DL - All but the 717 have PTVs.
AA = DL - they both provide crap for food, and if you think that dry sandwich or small cheese plate is something to book AA over DL, well we have different priorities, that's for sure. I get that JAX-ATL doesn't get any service on that short flight. What kind of service do you think you get on AA SAT-DFW? I'll give you one guess - it's the same thing, nothing.

We can agree to disagree on crew friendliness. I still say DL crew overall are better than AA crew from a customer service standpoint. And again, AA serves no alcohol, wine or beer in Main Cabin Extra or Premium Economy on any domestic flight.

This has not stopped me from booking AA by any means. Being DFW based AA is usually far more convenient. I have four upcoming trips on AA, only one on DL. AA is not a bad offering by any stretch, but I don't get the love for AA over DL right now. Again, we have different priorities and alcohol and a dry sandwich aren't mine at all.
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:37 pm
  #3353  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 25,747
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Pro to AA - They offer a full bar to DL's Wine/Beer in F
Pro to DL - They offer seat blocking in domestic F planes
Pro to DL - All but the 717 have PTVs.
AA = DL - they both provide crap for food, and if you think that dry sandwich or small cheese plate is something to book AA over DL, well we have different priorities, that's for sure. I get that JAX-ATL doesn't get any service on that short flight. What kind of service do you think you get on AA SAT-DFW? I'll give you one guess - it's the same thing, nothing.

We can agree to disagree on crew friendliness. I still say DL crew overall are better than AA crew from a customer service standpoint. And again, AA serves no alcohol, wine or beer in Main Cabin Extra or Premium Economy on any domestic flight.

This has not stopped me from booking AA by any means. Being DFW based AA is usually far more convenient. I have four upcoming trips on AA, only one on DL. AA is not a bad offering by any stretch, but I don't get the love for AA over DL right now. Again, we have different priorities and alcohol and a dry sandwich aren't mine at all.
AA SAT-DFW gets full drinks/bar in F and on request in drinks/no bar in Y.

In Y/MCE at least you get drinks on request. Even on a 6 hour flight DL hasn't been doing that.

If you like empty seat that much, great. However original post was how couldn't understand how people thought AA was better. Most people consider getting some drinks/food better than none. Especially on longer flights. BTW, AA JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX all get actual meals.
chrisny2 likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:39 pm
  #3354  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wine/beer is not a true offering for sizable portion of population. Also it's not a real offering for a 6am flight.

Not sure how you can say the AA sandwich/yogurt morning mix is anyway same as junk box.

Lastly, there's no walk through service on AA in Y. However you can request a drink. Big difference between no drinks and having to request them.

Note for DL seat blocking doesn't happen on D1 equipment. Also for regionals only one side has seat blocking.

Bottom line DL charges more, provide no drinks (except for those that drink beer/wine) and zero non-junk food.
Do we really need a Woodford on a 6:00 am flight? I worry about some people...

Again, DL offering wine/beer to Comfort Plus (which is where I sit if booking coach) is better than begging an AA FA to bring me a small cup of diet coke. I'd rather buy a diet coke in the terminal.

Sure there is no seat blocking in D1, but neither is there on AA Business Class so what is your point? My point is there has been seat blocking in F on domestic planes and those buying those seats have found value in having the seat empty. I'll admit it has been very nice to have an empty seat next to me on a 3hr flight. I wouldn't trade that empty seat for a yogurt or a dry sandwich with an old mustard packet.

Delta certainly has been able to command a premium for their services this past 12 months and people are willing to pay it. We all want better service on DL than they are providing, my only point is that anyone who thinks AA's current offering is much better than DL I believe is wrong or has needs that really don't match the general flying public. Coach on Delta, I will stand by my claim that it's much better than AA, at least until the seat blocking ends.

What we haven't even discussed is how the pre-departure experience is with DL vs AA, especially for those who have lounge access. Sky Club kicks the Admirals Club hands down. If I have to fly from DFW-SLC, or DFW-LAX, DFW-MSP, DFW-ATL, etc then I'm flying Delta no question, and will even pay a premium to do so. Overall such a better experience than AA on any route they compete non-stop with maybe the exception of the transcon routes. The Admirals club is a sad Dr's office waiting room with a few dollar store wines and a plastic cup of cheese cubes.
TXguy likes this.
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:47 pm
  #3355  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta Platinum
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Do we really need a Woodford on a 6:00 am flight? I worry about some people...
I feel judged.

Yeah, if I'm heading off for vacation and I'm on a 3 or 4 hour flight that departs at 6, I'm for sure enjoying a Woodford and Coke.
Pip Carlson is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 1:50 pm
  #3356  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,095
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AA SAT-DFW gets full drinks/bar in F and on request in drinks/no bar in Y.

In Y/MCE at least you get drinks on request. Even on a 6 hour flight DL hasn't been doing that.

If you like empty seat that much, great. However original post was how couldn't understand how people thought AA was better. Most people consider getting some drinks/food better than none. Especially on longer flights. BTW, AA JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX all get actual meals.
Well when my spouse flew SAT-DFW, nothing was offered in F. The FA's didn't even get up, neither did they on TUL-DFW. So it's not happening in the real world.

Empty middle seat in Coach on an A320, plus PTV and buy my own soft drink in the terminal for $3 is much, much better than a completely full Oasis 737 and begging for a small plastic cup of sprite.
ijgordon likes this.
DLmedalliongold is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:31 pm
  #3357  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 25,747
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Well when my spouse flew SAT-DFW, nothing was offered in F. The FA's didn't even get up, neither did they on TUL-DFW. So it's not happening in the real world.

Empty middle seat in Coach on an A320, plus PTV and buy my own soft drink in the terminal for $3 is much, much better than a completely full Oasis 737 and begging for a small plastic cup of sprite.
I fly SAT-DFW frequently since I live outside SAT. Indeed in real world they serve drinks, you just have to ask/push the button, assuming they dont proactively offer (most times they do offer). I'm sorry your wife didn't know to ask, but they would've gotten it if they did.

I have no issue with DL level of service on short flights. However DL doesn't provide any type of non-junk food or drinks (except beer/wine) even on 6+ hour flights.

IM happy you're willing to pay for that extra seat in F (not like they didnt raise fares) and get no service. Most people want value for their money. If was paying same or less for F as previously I would be ok with DL. However for F they jacked up prices and took away any basic service (if they could give beer/wine they could give Coke/juice). On DL DL there's no reason currently to buy F over Y. You get the same exact product. On AA/OAL you get actual different product.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:29 pm
  #3358  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Do we really need a Woodford on a 6:00 am flight? I worry about some people...
Worry away. Whether or not one needs a Woodford at 6am is irrelevant. The fact is that a paying F customer should be given the option. Thats an element of F service.

You may personally have your own opinion on appropriate drinking windows, but that isnt really relevant to the lack of product Delta offers is premium cabin customers, which quite honestly is downright embarrassing given a better experience can be obtained on a ULCC for a fraction of the price at this point.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:36 pm
  #3359  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,832
Originally Posted by eneq
So what happens if you have a cup of ice and some of it has melted by the time you're going through security?
you have to put it into a 3oz or smaller container inside a 1 quart or smaller bag or else you have to throw it out

or drink it
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 21, 4:19 pm
  #3360  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 700
Originally Posted by flyerCO

IM happy you're willing to pay for that extra seat in F (not like they didnt raise fares) and get no service. Most people want value for their money. If was paying same or less for F as previously I would be ok with DL. However for F they jacked up prices and took away any basic service (if they could give beer/wine they could give Coke/juice). On DL DL there's no reason currently to buy F over Y. You get the same exact product. On AA/OAL you get actual different product.
The empty seat is value to some of us. It is a different product than having seatmates, period.
TXguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread