Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
....There's no bait and switch here. The service level is well known and not hidden, and the price is right there up front....
Crappy service - even when told about in advance - is STILL crappy service.

I know there is no bait and switch on delta's part. When we buy FC we know what we are going to get.

My issue is with the reason behind it. 'Safety' as claimed by DL.
Consider this - Domestic D1 on wide body has no seat blocking so safety cannot be the reason, then why no service?
JFX to LAX is more or less same distance (travel time) as JFK - LHR. On a wide body DL is trying to sell all seats on both routes so why does JFK-LHR gets full service and JFK-LAX doesn't?

Has Mayo clinic certified that a plane flying in one direction is more susceptible to covid vs. other flying in opposite direction? the airport infrastructure used for LHR flight is more or less same as for LAX flight. so covid cannot be the reason. (though if you still want to believe that, I will not hold it against you )

The only reason I see is that DL is charging couple thousand more (at least) on LHR route compared to LAX so to me, the evidence suggests that this is down to saving $$$.
My issue is with the way I am - as a paying customer for FC - treated by DL with this dishonesty. More in this post - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33015611-post2835.html

The worry I have is that to save this money, DL has gutted its systems/resources/infrastructure to such a level - not to talk about complacency in crew that they can get away with this crappy service - that ramp up will not be quick and DL service will remain crappy for quite a while after travel becomes normal... maybe I am wrong and the new CHO DL just hired will snap his fingers one fine day and it will all be good!
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jeet
Crappy service - even when told about in advance - is STILL crappy service.

I know there is no bait and switch on delta's part. When we buy FC we know what we are going to get.

My issue is with the reason behind it. 'Safety' as claimed by DL.
Consider this - Domestic D1 on wide body has no seat blocking so safety cannot be the reason, then why no service?
JFX to LAX is more or less same distance (travel time) as JFK - LHR. On a wide body DL is trying to sell all seats on both routes so why does JFK-LHR gets full service and JFK-LAX doesn't?

Has Mayo clinic certified that a plane flying in one direction is more susceptible to covid vs. other flying in opposite direction? the airport infrastructure used for LHR flight is more or less same as for LAX flight. so covid cannot be the reason. (though if you still want to believe that, I will not hold it against you )

The only reason I see is that DL is charging couple thousand more (at least) on LHR route compared to LAX so to me, the evidence suggests that this is down to saving $$$.
My issue is with the way I am - as a paying customer for FC - treated by DL with this dishonesty. More in this post - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33015611-post2835.html

The worry I have is that to save this money, DL has gutted its systems/resources/infrastructure to such a level - not to talk about complacency in crew that they can get away with this crappy service - that ramp up will not be quick and DL service will remain crappy for quite a while after travel becomes normal... maybe I am wrong and the new CHO DL just hired will snap his fingers one fine day and it will all be good!
You clearly don’t like DL’s offering. I have the perfect solution - don’t fly DL. Go fly AA or UA and be stuffed in with your gas station sandwiches/TV dinners.

I know you think everyone but kettles agrees with you but there’s no evidence of that. You are not DL’s knight in shining armor here to save it from bad decisions because you just know you know better. If they are ultimately making a bad business decision, they will suffer the consequences. If you are somehow wrong and they are making good ones, they will reap the rewards. But you will be happier elsewhere so go there.
ijgordon, Zorak and Biscoff27 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360

I was horrified on my 4 hour UA flight yesterday. Absolutely shocked at the total lack of covid safety by serving a cup with ice and a can of ginger ale along with water not from Costco. Rushed straight to get tested after landing. Not one empty seat but nobody cared. Good job United. Still not my once beloved Delta but the smokescreen nonsense at DL is appalling.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by TXguy
You clearly don’t like DL’s offering. I have the perfect solution - don’t fly DL. Go fly AA or UA and be stuffed in with your gas station sandwiches/TV dinners.

I know you think everyone but kettles agrees with you but there’s no evidence of that. You are not DL’s knight in shining armor here to save it from bad decisions because you just know you know better. If they are ultimately making a bad business decision, they will suffer the consequences. If you are somehow wrong and they are making good ones, they will reap the rewards. But you will be happier elsewhere so go there.
That's bit more personal then I'd like.... but whatever floats your boat
Lomapaseo likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Delta’s own website says otherwise.

What am I missing? It seems that they are very clearly stating that there are reductions in service.

TXguy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What am I missing? It seems that they are very clearly stating that there are reductions in service.

So why are they still marketing the incorrect products just below that?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP

Are you saying that restaurants that are closed or takeout/delivery only and express this clearly with a banner, but still have pictures of their dining room or an online menu are being deceptive as well?
AeRoSpaceman and TXguy like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
And why do they make it very difficult to find out what service is available. Msp Hawaii has f&b but slc Hawaii doesn't yet the website isn't exactly transparent about wf is available.
jamesteroh, cmd320 and buckeye91 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ekozie
Are you saying that restaurants that are closed or takeout/delivery only and express this clearly with a banner, but still have pictures of their dining room or an online menu are being deceptive as well?
Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Curious why they provide the box o' fun ATL-JFK (in D1), but on the return today (also D1), no box? Overheard part of a conversation between the FA and a passenger asking about not getting anything other than the sad snack bag and the FA was saying something about it being based on the length of the flight. Right. We know that. It also happens to be the same distance coming or going and, in fact, a slightly longer flight heading south.
BigFishDave and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE

Not everyone has the "luxury" of being able to fly another carrier. Especially from a captive hub.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Not everyone has the "luxury" of being able to fly another carrier. Especially from a captive hub.
Actually, yes, everyone can fly another carrier. Anyone can make connections, drive to another city to fly one, or just not fly. Regardless, you don’t get to dictate how a business is run because you don’t like it. Can I dictate that AA, UA, etc. start or resume seat blocking? Of course not, so I don’t fly them.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Actually, yes, everyone can fly another carrier. Anyone can make connections, drive to another city to fly one, or just not fly. Regardless, you don’t get to dictate how a business is run because you don’t like it. Can I dictate that AA, UA, etc. start or resume seat blocking? Of course not, so I don’t fly them.
not to mention, at least 2 people are complaining about booking DL on JFK-LAX and .....ing about the service - apparently no other options with full service on this route ...
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
not to mention, at least 2 people are complaining about booking DL on JFK-LAX and .....ing about the service - apparently no other options with full service on this route ...
Both American & JetBlue are offering their full service onboard the JFK-LAX route so the part that I underlined in your post is totally incorrect.
However, Alaska is offering a reduced service on that route.
cmd320 and buckeye91 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Both American & JetBlue are offering their full service onboard the JFK-LAX route so the part that I underlined in your post is totally incorrect.
However, Alaska is offering a reduced service on that route.
My guess is that the part you highlighted is sarcasm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.