Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by p100a
Simple. Last minute booking 2 hrs before dep. Expected to grab something to go in the sc but they had nothing. Didn't have time to wait in a line of 30 at Starbucks. Not everyone has the luxury of packing a meal like you're going off to kindergarten with a lunchbox. Nor will I travel with a food cooler like the unfortunate regional pilots have to do. Regardless, for $1300 one way there should be food. Ill be cheating on UA Friday. Fare was 50% lower than Delta. Go figure.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Could be a tight connection and not enough time to grab something to eat before the flight.
Originally Posted by fly747first
And also, at locations like Terminal 2 at FLL, there is almost nothing open early in the morning, so if you have an early am flight with Delta, your options are extremely limited especially when the few places open will have long lines.

Again, I get being unhappy about the service level, but have you folks ever heard of a granola bar or other snacks for your bag? While perhaps not desirable, it's actually possible to prepare for this predictable situation. Pretend it's a pandemic.
TXguy and Biscoff27 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I understand being unhappy with the service level but I don't understand being starving. We're nearly a year into this, why didn't you bring your own meal on board?
Could be a tight connection and not enough time to grab something to eat before the flight.
And also, at locations like Terminal 2 at FLL, there is almost nothing open early in the morning, so if you have an early am flight with Delta, your options are extremely limited especially when the few places open will have long lines.
Doesn't even need to be FLL or a tight connection. I flew RDU-ATL-PDX last weekend. RDU has half the restaurants closed and the line at Starbucks is two dozen long. I had an hour in ATL to go from A3 to E18. I got to E and found every restaurant in the food court closed but Caribou Coffee which had a line of two dozen. I already meal prep for my work week, should I be meal prepping for First Class, coast to coast travel now too?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
....should I be meal prepping for First Class, coast to coast travel now too?
Based on advice from some posters in this forum - Yes.
Basically do anything and everything you can/need/want to do to avoid complaining about DL lack of service in FC.
BigFishDave and sassybritches like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I already meal prep for my work week, should I be meal prepping for First Class, coast to coast travel now too?
Based off what some people in this thread think, you should probably bring your own can of jet fuel to contribute to the cause. I mean we're all in this together!

Pretend it's a pandemic.
I'm getting really tired of companies of all shapes and sizes blaming "bUt c0viD" for why they're no longer doing things they don't want to do, that surprise surprise, also cost them money. If you can serve full meals and drinks on international flights, you can do it on domestic flights. Any excuse not to is just cost saving or poor operational planning. I have full confidence Delta could figure it out if they wanted to - they just don't want to, IMO. Now whether it's because they don't want to annoy their employees into doing the same level of work that they used to, don't want to figure out the logistics and pay the catering, or give an inch in the PR battle that they are clearly looking to win with the middle seat blocking. I imagine it's some combination.

Maybe I'll have a biscoff as a snack...
Aloha1, BigFishDave, demkr and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Doesn't even need to be FLL or a tight connection. I flew RDU-ATL-PDX last weekend. RDU has half the restaurants closed and the line at Starbucks is two dozen long. I had an hour in ATL to go from A3 to E18. I got to E and found every restaurant in the food court closed but Caribou Coffee which had a line of two dozen. I already meal prep for my work week, should I be meal prepping for First Class, coast to coast travel now too?
No, you should be booking an airline that meets your needs and stop .....ing about service level that you are well aware of.
Why do you put yourself through the agony ... glutton for punishment I suppose
DiverDave and TXguy like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jeet
Based on advice from some posters in this forum - Yes.
Basically do anything and everything you can/need/want to do to avoid complaining about DL lack of service in FC.
That's not really the point.

You are free to complain here all that you wish, but it is the equivalent of howling at the moon.

Complain to Delta or fly another airline. Many of the posters here are EXP or 1K - some of them are booking away from DL and some are not.

At this point Delta's service is well-known, so you either book away or you starve to death. You do have a choice!

TXguy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
At this point Delta's service is well-known, so you either book away or you nearly starve to death and complain on FT. You do have a choice!
fixed your post doesn't it sound better
And yes some of us are taking that second option because booking away is not always practical due to schedule, dependencies, other factors etc.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Once again, not defending Delta or the lack of airport food service. Just saying that it's strange to me that a frequent flyer would not know to bring their own food because the situation is what it is. There's really no excuse to be "starving." Anyone who has traveled at all during the pandemic knows that airport and onboard service is limited.
TXguy and Biscoff27 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Again, I get being unhappy about the service level, but have you folks ever heard of a granola bar or other snacks for your bag? While perhaps not desirable, it's actually possible to prepare for this predictable situation. Pretend it's a pandemic.
Not a big packaged/shelf-stable kind of snack person. Doesn’t cut it at all on a transcon flight where JetBlue is serving a 4 course plated meal with a full bar.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
One nice thing Delta could do is to allow passengers to take a to go soft drink and food from the SkyClub for a long flight to eat mid-flight. Offer something like wrapped sandwiches or allow a bagel with cream cheese to leave the skyclub to be eaten in flight.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
One nice thing Delta could do is to allow passengers to take a to go soft drink and food from the SkyClub for a long flight to eat mid-flight. Offer something like wrapped sandwiches or allow a bagel with cream cheese to leave the skyclub to be eaten in flight.
Haven't we been doing this? One of the only upsides of having everything individually wrapped in the SC is it makes it very easy to toss a few things to eat in flight since the SC offerings are way better than the best case onboard scenario. If DL won't serve adequate food onboard, I have no qualms self catering from the club. Grab a couple little sandwiches, some cheese cubes. Dinner of champions!
jamesteroh and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Correct, pick three out of five plus dessert so technically four dishes per passenger but B6 often assigns its best cabin crew to Mint and you can request more
Here's a sample menu:

JetBlue Mint Experience Westbound Southbound Lunch Dinner Menu
The purser insisted that he wanted me to try ALL the items on the new menu-seriously, i did not ask
He might have had compassion when seeing my DL million miler tag...
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Aloha1
OK, what in the heck are those dishes?? One looks like carrots but the river otter clam shell leftovers have me baffled.
The picture was probably taken after i ate some... i guarantee you all restaurant quality, aside from presentation in my photos
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Haven't we been doing this? One of the only upsides of having everything individually wrapped in the SC is it makes it very easy to toss a few things to eat in flight since the SC offerings are way better than the best case onboard scenario. If DL won't serve adequate food onboard, I have no qualms self catering from the club. Grab a couple little sandwiches, some cheese cubes. Dinner of champions!
I know most of us don't care, but its technically not allowed to take food outside the SC. A few weeks ago, the DEN SC had some decent breakfast sandwiches that hit the spot on my 7am flight. A lot more "breakfast-ey" than hWheat Thins and spreadable cheese.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I thought there were a couple posts on the skyclub closure boards about a couple skyclubs goingback to self serve and no longer having individual wrapped food items. While it isn't a FC full meal at least a wrapped sandwich and a snack bag of chips would be work on a DTW/LAX flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.