Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Interesting. I was under the impression that in many cities it was either LSG or GateGourmet and most were catered by one or the other. I know United mostly uses Chelsea being that it was the former CO in house caterer.
DL has been using some new to the game companies in order to get lower costs.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Not to mention the sense of entitlement Delta is fostering. The Delta loyalists will not want to go back to having someone seated next to them. Even in F. We are already seeing it on FT.
Or worse, in Y! Just wait for the fights to start onboard when people are expecting blocked middle seats after Q1.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Not to mention the sense of entitlement Delta is fostering. The Delta loyalists will not want to go back to having someone seated next to them. Even in F. We are already seeing it on FT.
A sense of entitlement? Wow.

I just want as much risk reduction as possible as this virus spreads unchecked thanks to people who don’t care.
ab2013, jdrtravel and DLASflyer like this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXguy
A sense of entitlement? Wow.

I just want as much risk reduction as possible as this virus spreads unchecked thanks to people who don’t care.
Stay home and don't fly then. That will pretty much guarantee you won't catch the virus since you will have much better soap than the cheap foam DL provides onboard.
panjabi, hockeystl, Aloha1 and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Just curious if anyone has done any transatlantic travel recently in J... I'm flying AMS-BOS next month... wondering if the service in D1 is much diminished as well.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Stay home and don't fly then. That will pretty much guarantee you won't catch the virus since you will have much better soap than the cheap foam DL provides onboard.
I prefer to choose the option that allows travel with a reduced risk. Or at least the perception of it (and yes, perception matters).

Here’s what you don’t seem to get - if you want the seat next to you full so badly and want a tiny cold and soggy sandwich and a soda so badly, DL may not be for you. It may be more for people like me. You are free to patronize those competitors that stuff people in. You know what DL offers and doesn’t - you don’t like it. I understand. But why rail and rail about what a private business offers when it is widely known and publicized? Why try to ruin it for those of us who prefer what DL offers?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer to choose the option that allows travel with a reduced risk. Or at least the perception of it (and yes, perception matters).

Here’s what you don’t seem to get - if you want the seat next to you full so badly and want a tiny cold and soggy sandwich and a soda so badly, DL may not be for you. It may be more for people like me. You are free to patronize those competitors that stuff people in. You know what DL offers and doesn’t - you don’t like it. I understand. But why rail and rail about what a private business offers when it is widely known and publicized? Why try to ruin it for those of us who prefer what DL offers?
Here's what you don't seem to get - B6 already offers a vastly superior hard Mint product and guess what, I can select a suite without anyone next to me and still enjoy, not a sandwich, but an actual meal with hot choices and ice for my drink. However, B6 isn't lying to customers the way DL is. Meanwhile, AA and UA are at least making an effort to offer something in domestic premium cabins,

Why rail and rail defending a private business that chooses to lie over and over and over again? I choose to criticize DL exposing the truth; you choose to defend it by essentially trying to get flyers to not talk about it yet I'm not the one posting on social media how DL wishes it could serve meals but it can't for our safety. Oh right, it's safe for DL to do it JFK LHR in regular Y but not JFK LAX/SFO in D1. PLEASE, a 5-year old can see through DL's embarrassing lies!
Aloha1 and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Here's what you don't seem to get - B6 already offers a vastly superior hard Mint product and guess what, I can select a suite without anyone next to me and still enjoy, not a sandwich, but an actual meal with hot choices and ice for my drink. However, B6 isn't lying to customers the way DL is. Meanwhile, AA and UA are at least making an effort to offer something in domestic premium cabins,

Why rail and rail defending a private business that chooses to lie over and over and over again? I choose to criticize DL exposing the truth; you choose to defend it by essentially trying to get flyers to not talk about it yet I'm not the one posting on social media how DL wishes it could serve meals but it can't for our safety. Oh right, it's safe for DL to do it JFK LHR in regular Y but not JFK LAX/SFO in D1. PLEASE, a 5-year old can see through DL's embarrassing lies!
I never said I “believed” DL. I just don’t care as I prefer the lower risk option. B6 Mint is only an option on select transcons. AA and UA are not blocking seats, and I won’t consider using them when one or more other options are.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never said I “believed” DL. I just don’t care as I prefer the lower risk option. B6 Mint is only an option on select transcons. AA and UA are not blocking seats, and I won’t consider using them when one or more other options are.
On your first point, DL is only blocking middle seats on 763s so depending on the route, it certainly isn't safer to fly DL than B6 since some passengers will end up with someone next to them.

With regards to your second point, completely fair considering that B6 Mint routes are rather limited.

As to your final point, yes UA has never really cared about blocking seats. AA deploys widebodies on many non-transcon routes and in F, you can get a single seat without anyone next to you, though of course this isn't the case on every route.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL has been using some new to the game companies in order to get lower costs.
Are you telling us Delta hired catering companies, who can't cater?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Are you telling us Delta hired catering companies, who can't cater?
Yep. SLC and RDU were to be those companies entry to the market. SLC especially was a big fail. There was a few times where even international long haul flights had to take delays due to catering. They finally prioritized those flights over all else.

As for RDU, it wasn't as major an issue. However if memory serves RDU was to be the catering companies first kitchen.

They had worked most the bugsout last year. However these weren't well established catering companies with multiple customers that could help keep all their kitchens open.

It does support one thing. Catering is only about money at DL.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Yep. SLC and RDU were to be those companies entry to the market. SLC especially was a big fail. There was a few times where even international long haul flights had to take delays due to catering. They finally prioritized those flights over all else.

As for RDU, it wasn't as major an issue. However if memory serves RDU was to be the catering companies first kitchen.

They had worked most the bugsout last year. However these weren't well established catering companies with multiple customers that could help keep all their kitchens open.

It does support one thing. Catering is only about money at DL.
I assume you are referring to Newrest. They operate catering facilities in 58 countries. Their screw ups upon opening in SLC and RDU cannot be attributed to lack of experience.

Hopefully 9 months of delivering Cheez-Its and water gives them enough time to get their act together when real catering returns.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Nov 15, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I assume you are referring to Newrest. They operate catering facilities in 58 countries. Their screw ups upon opening in SLC and RDU cannot be attributed to lack of experience.

Hopefully 9 months of delivering Cheez-Its and water gives them enough time to get their act together when real catering returns.
They may have had experience outside the US, but not in it. Establishing a business in a country never operated before is basically like opening a brand new company. From building the kitchen, to establishing customer contracts, getting used to new legal environments, hiring staff, hiring staff under unfamiliar legal rules, lack of supploers/getting used to new suppliers, etc...

Basically for all essential purposes this was a brand new company. DL goes lowest cost for catering contract, so even beyond them it's not shocking DL has lost a majority of its kitchens. I dont think this should effect beverage service. However I do get it effecting meal service. In fact I believe the reason AA isn't serving more than a sandwich is issues with kitchens/catering staffing.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically for all essential purposes this was a brand new company. DL goes lowest cost for catering contract, so even beyond them it's not shocking DL has lost a majority of its kitchens. I dont think this should effect beverage service. However I do get it effecting meal service. In fact I believe the reason AA isn't serving more than a sandwich is issues with kitchens/catering staffing.
Right but DL can just offer more and problem solved; we can't blame catering companies for not wanting to accept 0.20 per meal or whatever DL wants to pay
SFO777 and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
...I believe the reason AA isn't serving more than a sandwich is issues with kitchens/catering staffing.
ROTFLMAO. And cutting food expense is just a lucky coincidence.

BTW, AA does serve hot meals on longer domestic flights.
fly747first and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.