Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
The Reserve is quite expensive but for me the SC access and companion certificate make it worth keeping. If I bump up to DM I'll probably downgrade to Platinum since I wouldn't need the club access benefit. I'm still traveling for work during Covid as well so that also helps justify keeping it. Certainly I take it year by year and make sure I'm getting my value out of the AF.

That said, I wouldn't be surprise to see some changes as Covid lingers on. It will take a while for business travel to return so I'm sure AmEx is expecting a lot of people to drop the card. They'll have to get creative to keep people on board.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM
I agree that things like "Zone 1 boarding" were a laughable benefit, since this seemingly extended to half of the plane (back in the days of zoned boarding that seem so far ago). This and free checked bag were duplicative for someone who is FO, though the card will get you a second checked bag if you get a free one as FO.

This is my first year of the Reserve card. I've found it quite useful so far:
- The AF is essentially the same price as a SC membership, and I find it valuable enough for this benefit alone. The other benefits made me choose it over the regular AmEx Platinum.
- The sign-up bonus, MQM boost, and MQM promo--along with the MQD waiver--are going to make the difference for me between Gold and Platinum, which is a big benefit. With rollover MQMs, the MQD waiver will secure Platinum next year once I hit the spend, regardless of travel.
- Upgrade priority seems to be working out in my favor. Though you never know for sure what fares others are on, I have been almost always flying on T/X/V fares and seem to place higher on the list than before I had the card. It's only on the measly A319s that have less F inventory than CRJ9s these days that I will miss the upgrade.

I'm looking forward to having a companion certificate, though I hear finding inventory in the eligible fare classes is sometimes a challenge. I'd be quite interested to see how folks with the Reserve card and no status are faring on upgrades in the COVID era, since many of my routes push back with empty seats in F.

All-in-all, I think it really depends on the person and their travel habits, but it has worked out well for me.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I do understand for some individuals the MQM boosts can be useful. I just wonder other people’s thoughts. I am strongly considering dropping my Delta Card, which saddens me greatly, as I’ve always enjoyed having a Delta Card. I just don’t see the use case for me much anymore and wonder if others feel the same way.
If you have at least the DL Platinum, the companion certificate pays for itself as long as you use it on a ticket that exceeds the annual fee. If DL or AmEx ever put a minimum spend on the card to receive the companion cert, the card would lose most of its value.

For the DL Reserve, I guess it depends on your status level. If already reaching DM on MQMs and MQDs, it becomes somewhat less useful since you can get a SkyClub membership as a Choice Benefit, but if you have the DL Reserve AmEx, it allows you to select another choice benefit in lieu of the SkyClub membership.

For me personally, I rely on the MQD waiver to obtain status. I also benefit from the MQM boosts, especially to build rollover since I don't know what my travel is going to look like year-to-year, even pre-COVID, and the MQM boosts allow me to build more cushion in case one year is a slower year.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have always viewed rollover as a very valuable insurance policy, so for me the MQMs are important. In fact, if I compare what it would cost (as a hub captive who always qualifies on the basis of MQMs rather than MQSs) to earn the MQMs from flying versus getting then from my Reserve card, I have an argument to justify the fee. OTOH, there's obviously the opportunity cost of putting spend on my DL card versus getting MR points from AmEx Plat. There's also the complication that my MQMs alone don't maintain DM without also meeting the MQD requirement. The other benefits I use, such as added upgrade priority, etc. are nice extras. YMMV.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Hello Everyone,

I’m wondering your thoughts on Delta and Amex tweaking or changing their card offerings. I remember when their cards first came out, they all were incredibly compelling products. Now, especially for anyone with Silver Medallion status or above, I find the Gold Card yawn worthy (lack of companion certificate), Platinum Card marginally helpful, but there are cheaper/better ways to earn Skymiles (think Amex Gold Card), and the Reserve, while it offers some value, is quite expensive.

I do understand for some individuals the MQM boosts can be useful. I just wonder other people’s thoughts. I am strongly considering dropping my Delta Card, which saddens me greatly, as I’ve always enjoyed having a Delta Card. I just don’t see the use case for me much anymore and wonder if others feel the same way.
The Delta cards are most useful for companion passes, MQM bonuses, things like free bags if you don’t have status, SkyClub access and the Pay With Miles feature. They did increase the earn on the Gold and Platinum cards recently, so I am not sure how the cards used to be any more compelling. For the casual Delta flier, getting rid of $29 SkyClub Day passes for the Gold card was actually a much bigger loss than was discussed here.

For me, I think the killer features of the Delta cards are MQM spend bonuses (combined with Delta rollover), companion passes and the various modes of lounge access. There are occasional Amex offers on the cards that also make them worthwhile. So I think the Platinum and Reserve cards are still worth it for most regular Delta fliers. The Gold card is more for someone who may fly Delta a few times a year with family members and who values free bags (and I am sure there are a lot of these folks)
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I do agree that for Medallion members, the cards have lower benefit, but from a Delta standpoint they've already achieved their goal and 'bought' our loyalty. Because that's how I see the Skymiles cards from a Delta standpoint - offer just enough benefit to steer ticket purchases towards Delta. That's why a Gold card and an silver medallion member like myself see so much overlap; free bags and Zone 1 boarding aren't much, but it's enough to choose DL over AA even if DL has a slight price premium.

Given the Skypeso status though, I'm not sure how Amex gets much ROI - how many people are putting significant spending on their cards, aside from the people who are trying to earn MQM boosts? Maybe Amex gets a good rate from Skymiles when buying them.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by allseas1586
How long does it usually take for the retention offer miles to show up in the account?
Will answer my own question for those wondering - it showed up 3 days later.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
I started out with the DL Amex Gold card many years ago as a traveller that originally only flew a handful of times each year. The free checked bag was a great benefit and definitely used it enough to offset the annual fee. As my travels grew, and I began to purchase more premium tickets, I started earning status and utilized the MQD Waiver. Last year whenever DL announced the Gold card would no longer qualify for the MQD Waiver, I immediately upgraded to the DL Amex Platinum.

For me the Platinum is worth it for the MQD Waiver. The Companion Certificate is nice too, especially since living in Alaska any fare to the lower 48 will certainly offset the cost of the annual fee. My spouse still has the Gold card, and while he receives many promos too, I seem to see more targeted towards me with the Platinum Card.

I have considered the Reserve Card for Skyclub access, but can't quite justify the annual fee for the number of times I typically visit in a year purchased with my $39 access from the Platinum card (or complimentary on international flights due to having PM status).

I agree that something will need to be done to adjust the Card offerings from the Covid fall out. I can see a reduction in annual fees, but perhaps a higher MQD threshold? That would attempt to encourage people to not only keep the card, but also spend more on it (especially for those who value status and want to keep it, but see a major reduction in travel and MQDs earned).
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Gig103

Given the Skypeso status though, I'm not sure how Amex gets much ROI - how many people are putting significant spending on their cards, aside from the people who are trying to earn MQM boosts? Maybe Amex gets a good rate from Skymiles when buying them.
All the data out from this summer suggests that Amex views Delta cardholders as some of their most important and profitable - their spending declined the least during the depths of the Covid lockdowns and they tend to revolve more (so they pay more interest). Amex is paying Delta a meaningful amount for the partnership, and Amex seems to believe they are getting their moneys worth.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I’m a Platinum, hopefully soon to be Diamond Medallion member and former Dellta Amex cardholder. I don’t see much value in Delta credit cards any more. I earn my status flying and don’t highly value nearly worthless SkyMiles. I prefer no annual fee cash back credit cards at this point. I’m probably in the minority though, Delta sure has done a good job transforming itself into a credit card sales firm.
I currently have 486k SMs. I have yet to have found a redemption worth making. I'm not going to redeem for the sake of redeeming.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Personally, the only value I find in these cards is the sign-up bonus and the fact that you can usually get it without paying an AF. Otherwise, they're all pretty meh to me. I've had both the Gold and Platinum versions of the DL card and didn't keep them beyond one year. The benefits are essentially useless for anyone FO or higher and equally useless for people who typically pay for F. I suppose if you want to earn Skypesos through your spend or need an MQD waiver they could be useful, I don't really care about either of those. In my opinion, I would much rather have a card that earns Amex MR points at an equal or better rate as these not only transfer 1:1 to Delta but also have a variety of other uses.
There's a tax to transfer MR to SM right?
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The Delta cards are most useful for companion passes, MQM bonuses, things like free bags if you don’t have status, SkyClub access and the Pay With Miles feature. They did increase the earn on the Gold and Platinum cards recently, so I am not sure how the cards used to be any more compelling. For the casual Delta flier, getting rid of $29 SkyClub Day passes for the Gold card was actually a much bigger loss than was discussed here.

For me, I think the killer features of the Delta cards are MQM spend bonuses (combined with Delta rollover), companion passes and the various modes of lounge access. There are occasional Amex offers on the cards that also make them worthwhile. So I think the Platinum and Reserve cards are still worth it for most regular Delta fliers. The Gold card is more for someone who may fly Delta a few times a year with family members and who values free bags (and I am sure there are a lot of these folks)
That's the only reason for me to have the cards.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I’m a Platinum, hopefully soon to be Diamond Medallion member and former Dellta Amex cardholder. I don’t see much value in Delta credit cards any more.
Are you and I the same person?! I churn through 1 DL Amex card per year. It says something about skymiles when I can net just as many from a CC sub as I can actually flying.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:14 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
The Coronavirus has caused me to curtail all flying since early March. My two-million-miler status gives me “annual” GM so my Platinum Delta Skymiles card no longer gives me any value with regard to MQMs or MQD waiver. The only benefits to me are the RDMs and companion ticket, which if I start flying again will help a little. I miss the 10K RDM boosts at $25K and $50K card spends which for me was easily achievable but were taken away in the “new new” program unveiled this year. So I doubt I going to renew next year.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovecabo
The Coronavirus has caused me to curtail all flying since early March. My two-million-miler status gives me “annual” GM so my Platinum Delta Skymiles card no longer gives me any value with regard to MQMs or MQD waiver. The only benefits to me are the RDMs and companion ticket, which if I start flying again will help a little. I miss the 10K RDM boosts at $25K and $50K card spends which for me was easily achievable but were taken away in the “new new” program unveiled this year. So I doubt I going to renew next year.
To be honest, I prefer the structure of the old cards. I missed the bonus RDMs as well. Having a CC can still help you get to a higher LT tier. At 4MM, you'll get LT Platinum.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.