Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
By sweet talking you or giving you a nice retention bonus? lol
what can I say, I’m a sucker for the whispering of sweet nothings! Seriously though, I basically did some simple math and came up with a number in $ and one in points that they would need to meet or I was cancelling. Of course I didn’t tell them that, but might have said something like you need to offset the entire annual fee They ended up giving me 60k points which more than offset the AF.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm a sucker. I settled for a $100 reduction in the annual fee and 15K points/Miles. YMMV.

I don't have a lot of spend on this card and I've only had it for two years, so my offer is probably less that you guys who are big spenders and long time card holders.

They also have a lengthy disclaimer locking you in for the next 12 months, bonus miles won't post for 4 to 8 weeks and will ber revoked if I cancel within the next 12 months. So I'll mark my calendar and hit them up again in 13 months.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with renewal/cancellation.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Sep 24, 2020 at 10:57 am
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I'm a sucker. I settled for a $100 reduction in the annual fee and 15K points/Miles.

I don't have a lot of spend on this card and I've only had it for two years, so my offer is probably less that you guys who are big spenders and long time card holders.

They also have a lengthy disclaimer locking you in for the next 12 months, bonus miles won't post for 4 to 8 weeks and will ber revoked if I cancel within the next 12 months. So I'll mark my calendar and hit them up again in 13 months.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with renewal/cancellation.
The algorithm that spits out your offer seems complicated. I've had more than once instance where I was sure they would offer me good value to stay and they basically offered a rock. My miles posted very shortly (within a couple of days) after I accepted the offer.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
It was a three step process.

We can take $100 off the annual fee to stay? Your new total would be $450. - No thank you.

Would you like to downgrade to a lower level card? - No.

Would you accept an additional 15K in points to stay. - No.

Ok, I'll cancel the card. At this point I said OK, I'll accept the $100 off and 15K points/miles.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
It was a three step process.

We can take $100 off the annual fee to stay? Your new total would be $450. - No thank you.

Would you like to downgrade to a lower level card? - No.

Would you accept an additional 15K in points to stay. - No.

Ok, I'll cancel the card. At this point I said OK, I'll accept the $100 off and 15K points/miles.
Sounds like what I do with the cable company every year when my "promo" rate expires. The first offer (or two) are just bait until they get to the best offer!
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Sounds like what I do with the cable company every year when my "promo" rate expires. The first offer (or two) are just bait until they get to the best offer!
Makes me wonder if there was a third offer that I missed out on ... but I doubt it. I didn't want to push my luck too hard. Granted, I was perfectly willing to cancel. The new / replacement card offers are always better than the retainer offers anyway. Same thing with the cable companies.

Happy negotiating to all! YMMV!
hurnik likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:34 am

Just to update my experience. The 15K miles posted to my account two days after the phone call. The $100 credit did not. I called back today to inquire and was informed that it was an either/or offer. I could not receive both, although the agent I was on the phone with during the original call did not explain that. I was also informed that the $100 annual fee discount offer was no longer available, I was given a $40 "Good will credit" today as compensation for the "misunderstanding." I'll definitely ride this one out for another year and probably switch to the AMEX Platinum next year.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:55 am

Just to update my experience. The 15K miles posted to my account two days after the phone call. The $100 credit did not. I called back today to inquire and was informed that it was an either/or offer. I could not receive both, although the agent I was on the phone with during the original call did not explain that. I was also informed that the $100 annual fee discount offer was no longer available, I was given a $40 "Good will credit" today as compensation for the "misunderstanding." I'll definitely ride this one out for another year and probably switch to the AMEX Platinum next year.
I believe those calls are all recorded, so if it was important to you and you think they misspoke there may be a remedy. Probably not worth the time and effort, but I would be quite aggravated.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:21 am

Thanks. Yeah, not worth the effort. My current options are to either cancel outright or wait until next year's renewal. I told the agent I spoke with today that I'd sleep on it. I'm not going to make a rash decision. 15K miles and a $40 discount is no great loss If I decide to cancel. The companion certificate is worthless to me given the current pandemic conditions. I have another week to mull it over before my annual fee is due.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Any recent retention offers on the Platinum SkyMiles card? My renewal is November and I’m debating what to do - either keep it or downgrade to Blue.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Good to know, thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Any recent retention offers on the Platinum SkyMiles card? My renewal is November and I’m debating what to do - either keep it or downgrade to Blue.
I've had the the DL Platinum AMEX for about 10 years. Just called AMEX (800-528-4800) and explained that my annual fee was coming up and that I was reassessing whether the card fit my needs, especially since I can't redeem the miles for travel, use the companion certificate, or utilize the travel benefits that come with the card. The agent just told me to downgrade the card to DL Blue. I was really hoping that they'd offer miles, for example. I was surprised that this was her suggestion.

Did I call the right number for retention offers? And should I have said something else? (This is my first time ever calling in order to ascertain whether any retention offers are available to me.)
Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I've had the the DL Platinum AMEX for about 10 years. Just called AMEX (800-528-4800) and explained that my annual fee was coming up and that I was reassessing whether the card fit my needs, especially since I can't redeem the miles for travel, use the companion certificate, or utilize the travel benefits that come with the card. The agent just told me to downgrade the card to DL Blue. I was really hoping that they'd offer miles, for example. I was surprised that this was her suggestion.

Did I call the right number for retention offers? And should I have said something else? (This is my first time ever calling in order to ascertain whether any retention offers are available to me.)
I used the retention line (800-452-3945) when I’ve called for other cards.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I just called the number on the back of the card. They transferred me almost immediately when I said I was cancelling. I’d guess they thought you were fishing but didn’t really want to cancel from your opening about assessing things.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by allseas1586
I used the retention line (800-452-3945) when I’ve called for other cards.
Thanks for the number. Just called and was offered $50 statement credit to lower annual fee from $250 to $200 and the option of (1) $100 statement credit after spending $1250 in 3 months or (2) 15K miles with no spending whatsoever. Agent also said that the retention offer is subject to change at anytime, including the possibility that there isn't a retention offer at all.

I'm leaning toward 15K miles (just because it's worth, at minimum $150 with DL). But I'm also wondering if waiting closer to my annual renewal date (which is next week) will yield a better offer. For those who've dealt with the CSR on the retention line, what's been your experience? (Full disclaimer: I'm a total newbie at this whole retention process, so I'd appreciate whatever insight/advice you might have.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.