Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are people doing with Amex cards during COVID19? Should Amex offer more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat

The main reason I have the delta reserve Amex is because of skyclub access and better upgrade priority. I know my travel is suspended until mid May and at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it stretches into June.

Would it be appropriate to downgrade my card until I’m traveling again with the intention of upgrading again when it’s time?

i have a companion certificate that’s good until January 2021. I’m assuming that’d still be in my possession but I wouldn’t get another one until renewal back to reserve?

or... I guess if I downgraded to platinum (I don’t know that makes sense) I could keep my certificate annually around the same time?

Just feel like I’m losing money with the annual fee paid and no flights = no use of the skyclub

side note: please be healthy out there. I wish I could trade all this for being #7 on the list with six seats available!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm keeping it, but I'm not putting anymore waiver spend on it. I'm not requalifying for anything at this rate, so why bother. My prediction is that Delta will extend current status though Jan 2022 anyway, so I see no reason to continue.

Also, who knows what will happen with the FF programs. I'd rather bank Chase points for now.
bloc0102 likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:28 pm

Annual fee is not prorated so I might as well keep it until renewal time then dump it.
KenTarmac and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wonder if you call Amex they will offer a reduced fee.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Downgrading to the DL Platinum card wouldn’t be the worst idea right now, especially if you are doing a lot of grocery shopping.
technole, dtwtransport and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Annual fee is not prorated so I might as well keep it until renewal time then dump it.
I think that’s incorrect. When I upgraded I didn’t pay the full fee because the pro-rated fee I already paid was applied. I think it works backwards too. Honestly I may call and ask if they’d just extend my card 3 months and I’d be a happy customer.
CPMaverick and hortkie like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by mtsublueraider
I think that’s incorrect. When I upgraded I didn’t pay the full fee because the pro-rated fee I already paid was applied. I think it works backwards too. Honestly I may call and ask if they’d just extend my card 3 months and I’d be a happy customer.
Upgrading and downgrading are different than cancelling a card re annual fee proration.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Upgrading and downgrading are different than cancelling a card re annual fee proration.

Yep.

And maybe you would no longer be able to get approved for it later.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM
I was thinking about the exact same thing! I have used my companion cert and currently have no spending on this card, I was thinking about cancelling it and get AMEX Plat when the situation turns better.

Also, I downgraded my DL Plat card to DL Blue card, and a credit of pro-rated annual fee showed up several days later.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Yep.

And maybe you would no longer be able to get approved for it later.
Most of the newer co-brand revamps (Bonvoy / Delta / etc.) don't have different underwriting standards anecdotally: if you can pay the AF and you want that level of benefits, your choice. Amex traditionally did that on their charge products anyway and Chase followed suit with Sapphire, that change is probably here to stay.

It'd be different if cancelling as new UW standards can happen overnight but customer in good standing doesn't usually go through that. The only thing I can see potentially is falling under RAT's eye (Amex's Rewards Abuse Team) for any sort of changes especially cancellation like I perhaps foolishly did switching hotel rewards programs. Personally I'd hold pat, if we're going to see any wonkiness on prime lenders it could well be Amex first since they don't have the same level of deposits as Chase et al. do currently.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I'm keeping it, but I'm not putting anymore waiver spend on it. I'm not requalifying for anything at this rate, so why bother. My prediction is that Delta will extend current status though Jan 2022 anyway, so I see no reason to continue.

Also, who knows what will happen with the FF programs. I'd rather bank Chase points for now.
I'm changing my mind. I can't remember when it renews, but if it does in the next few months, I'm downgrading.
ORDPSC likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
This is misleading. I have spent the last 7 years moving up and down from platinum to reserve to maximize bonuses. Annual fees are prorated by month during a upgrade or downgrade. You are refunded the reserve AF prorated by the number of months left in the cardholder's year and recharged the platinum fee, also prorated.

Also, you will receive the companion certificate based on the designation of your card as that last month closes. My annual fees are charged in June and December. I ensure that I hold reserve before those dates to ensure getting the F/J certificate, even if I haven't had that particular card as a reserve for the full year.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
This is misleading. I have spent the last 7 years moving up and down from platinum to reserve to maximize bonuses. Annual fees are prorated by month during a upgrade or downgrade. You are refunded the reserve AF prorated by the number of months left in the cardholder's year and recharged the platinum fee, also prorated.

Also, you will receive the companion certificate based on the designation of your card as that last month closes. My annual fees are charged in June and December. I ensure that I hold reserve before those dates to ensure getting the F/J certificate, even if I haven't had that particular card as a reserve for the full year.
Cancelling a card gives zero refund on the already paid annual fee.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
I'll probably give it a month or so if I should downgrade, obviously I'll miss the threshold and I certainly wish the reserve card had the grocery bonus like platinum does now. It didn't seem like a big deal then because of the waivers, but now it's apparent not having that kind of puts of damper on the reserve card's benefit.

I know I'm traveling again by the summer, so it's kind of wait and see but may have to approach.

They weren't talking about cancelling the card, just downgrading which they usually pro-rate the fee. I've done it a few times going from platinum to gold.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Alaska Airlines MVP, BA Exec Club Blue, Hilton Honors Silver
Not entirely true. The annual fee is refunded in full if the card is canceled within 30 days of posting of the fee.
DrMilano, KenTarmac and ORDPSC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.