Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will DL Extend Status due to COVID-19? Consolidated Thread

Old Mar 19, 20, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Qantas will give all status holders a 12 month extension of their tier.

It seems this is the tip of the iceberg. Will this happen with DL? What would be the most favorable type of extension or other kind of status relief for DL flyers? Qantas doesn't have a rollover scheme like DL does. If they opt for this type of benefit, should the rollover miles earned simply apply to the following year?
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
There's already a thread discussing this. DL has publicly stated they'll evaluate once time is right. However, they made clear (and I think most agree) the current time isnt right.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
DL carries a lot more passengers than QF. Much easier for smaller program to make changes than a large one.
Old Mar 20, 20, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM
Next year’s airline status so doesn’t matter to me right now.
seawolf, Taz, andrewk829 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
DL carries a lot more passengers than QF. Much easier for smaller program to make changes than a large one.
I’m going to disagree. Just as easy a decision for Delta. Someone just has to make it.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
There's already a thread discussing this. DL has publicly stated they'll evaluate once time is right. However, they made clear (and I think most agree) the current time isnt right.
I think the thread "DL Corona Virus COVID-19 Affecting Status/Travel/Waivers" needs to be split as it is unwieldy, covers too many subjects and already has hundreds of posts. When trying to search for posts only related to status it brings up EVERY post because the word "status" is in the title.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
I’m going to disagree. Just as easy a decision for Delta. Someone just has to make it.
Making the decision is easy but but the business impacts from that decision is going to be different between QF and DL because the passenger/demographics are different.
syd999 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 20, 20 at 10:38 am
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM
This certainly ranks low on my care-o-meter at this time. All in due time. Delta will most likely do something but with such uncertainty on how long this situation will last it would be unwise to make any changes.
Taz and andrewk829 like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Making the decision is easy but but the business impacts from that decision is going to be different between QF and DL because the passenger/demographics are different.

why? because they speak Australian? they are more similar than different. anyway, the point is moot, so good luck to you and stay healthy!
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
No one knows the full extent of this pandemic yet. I think DL and other airlines will make any adjustments to their elite programs when they get more clarity into the length of potential disruption. This could be an issue for up to eighteen months, so who really knows.
MSPeconomist and seowitz like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:54 am
Original Member

why? because they speak Australian? they are more similar than different. anyway, the point is moot, so good luck to you and stay healthy!
Oh I don't know. Maybe different scale; Delta flies 5x more passengers? Operating in different legal environment? Different labor laws? Different aviation markets? Different taxpayer bailouts? Different union contracts?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:15 am

Oh I don't know. Maybe different scale; Delta flies 5x more passengers? Operating in different legal environment? Different labor laws? Different aviation markets? Different taxpayer bailouts? Different union contracts?
threat of bankruptcy/insolvency is the great equalizer.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:19 am
Original Member

threat of bankruptcy/insolvency is the great equalizer.
Delta is going to get taxpayer assistance in aid/loan guarantees.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Since I already reached PM again for the year, I'm not terribly concerned; I'm a bit sad though that this will probably keep me from reaching DM for the first time. This year was shaping up to be a good one for travel. Unfortunately, they probably won't (and shouldn't) account for that.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
The Aussie frequent flier market is heavily dependent on long haul international flights, while the American one has much more of a domestic focus.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: