FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2013694-dl-extend-status-feb-2022-due-covid-19-consolidated-thread.html)

Oakshadow Mar 19, 2020 10:16 pm

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Qantas will give all status holders a 12 month extension of their tier.

It seems this is the tip of the iceberg. Will this happen with DL? What would be the most favorable type of extension or other kind of status relief for DL flyers? Qantas doesn't have a rollover scheme like DL does. If they opt for this type of benefit, should the rollover miles earned simply apply to the following year?

APRIL 5, 2020 UPDATE: As this thread was started on March 19, 2020 and didn't have the complete Medallion status updates in relation to the Covid-19 disruptions, here is a summation of Delta's Medallion program adjustments as notified by Delta on April 5, 2020:
All Medallion Status for 2020 will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion Year.
All Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) from 2020 are being rolled over to 2021 to qualify for 2022 Medallion Status.
Source: WBS-TV.

flyerCO Mar 20, 2020 4:01 am

There's already a thread discussing this. DL has publicly stated they'll evaluate once time is right. However, they made clear (and I think most agree) the current time isnt right.

seawolf Mar 20, 2020 7:46 am

DL carries a lot more passengers than QF. Much easier for smaller program to make changes than a large one.

DLASflyer Mar 20, 2020 8:34 am

Next year’s airline status so doesn’t matter to me right now.

nachosdelux Mar 20, 2020 9:59 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 32210504)
DL carries a lot more passengers than QF. Much easier for smaller program to make changes than a large one.

I’m going to disagree. Just as easy a decision for Delta. Someone just has to make it.

Oakshadow Mar 20, 2020 10:00 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32209977)
There's already a thread discussing this. DL has publicly stated they'll evaluate once time is right. However, they made clear (and I think most agree) the current time isnt right.

I think the thread "DL Corona Virus COVID-19 Affecting Status/Travel/Waivers" needs to be split as it is unwieldy, covers too many subjects and already has hundreds of posts. When trying to search for posts only related to status it brings up EVERY post because the word "status" is in the title.

seawolf Mar 20, 2020 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32210966)
I’m going to disagree. Just as easy a decision for Delta. Someone just has to make it.

Making the decision is easy but but the business impacts from that decision is going to be different between QF and DL because the passenger/demographics are different.

pulpfiction78 Mar 20, 2020 10:44 am

This certainly ranks low on my care-o-meter at this time. All in due time. Delta will most likely do something but with such uncertainty on how long this situation will last it would be unwise to make any changes.

nachosdelux Mar 20, 2020 10:46 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 32211077)
Making the decision is easy but but the business impacts from that decision is going to be different between QF and DL because the passenger/demographics are different.

why? because they speak Australian? they are more similar than different. anyway, the point is moot, so good luck to you and stay healthy!

SJC ORD LDR Mar 20, 2020 10:49 am

No one knows the full extent of this pandemic yet. I think DL and other airlines will make any adjustments to their elite programs when they get more clarity into the length of potential disruption. This could be an issue for up to eighteen months, so who really knows.

seawolf Mar 20, 2020 10:54 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32211140)
why? because they speak Australian? they are more similar than different. anyway, the point is moot, so good luck to you and stay healthy!

Oh I don't know. Maybe different scale; Delta flies 5x more passengers? Operating in different legal environment? Different labor laws? Different aviation markets? Different taxpayer bailouts? Different union contracts?

nachosdelux Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 32211186)
Oh I don't know. Maybe different scale; Delta flies 5x more passengers? Operating in different legal environment? Different labor laws? Different aviation markets? Different taxpayer bailouts? Different union contracts?

threat of bankruptcy/insolvency is the great equalizer.

seawolf Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32211263)
threat of bankruptcy/insolvency is the great equalizer.

Delta is going to get taxpayer assistance in aid/loan guarantees.

dmarge18 Mar 20, 2020 11:51 am

Since I already reached PM again for the year, I'm not terribly concerned; I'm a bit sad though that this will probably keep me from reaching DM for the first time. This year was shaping up to be a good one for travel. Unfortunately, they probably won't (and shouldn't) account for that.

BenA Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 32211140)

The Aussie frequent flier market is heavily dependent on long haul international flights, while the American one has much more of a domestic focus.