Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When V class fares are widely available on many routes 2+ months out you know the airlines are not expecting anything to be back to normal by then.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
As a BA Silver (similar to DL Platinum, which I also have), BA just sent a message saying that they've reduced required Tier Points by 30% for those whose earning year ends in April, May, or June. BA's earning year isn't Jan.1 to Dec. 31, so it's differrent from DL.
My earning year ends June 8th....For me, I already had 440 TPs, and I now instead of the normal 600 TPs, I only need 420.... so whew! So I'm Silver for another year.

I think this wise because it doesn't just give a blanket status to everyone (Hilton did that, and my partner who was Diamond last year and stayed 2 (two) nights in 2019 will apprarently get his status extended another year!
I understand though that this is unprecedented so these companies are just trying to find a good spot.
DL needs to make at least an interim announcement so people relax a bit. That said, with a Dec. 31st deadline, I guess it's less of an emergency than with BA, where everyone has a different earning year, and some are about to lose status in the middle of this and can't travel at all.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm sure BA will have to make further adjustments... EU is not going to be back to normal by summer.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm sure BA will have to make further adjustments... EU is not going to be back to normal by summer.
I agree-- but since their members years end all the time, they can do minor adjustments, while DL would need to make a bigger announcement that affects everyone.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keyser
yes, based on the normal requirements....

i agree....there is going to a be a tiny percentage of people who must have already re-qualified....the rest will have a hard time the longer this situation drags on....

in my opinion, this disruption is going to last till july at least....so lets suppose travel resumes from august then dl could reduce requirements by 1/3rd....if travel resumes in october then they could half the requirements....if its beyond that then it would be fair to just extend status for the next year....

having said that, i think it would also make sense for dl to reduce the choice benefits for those who re-qualify with reduced requirements....this way it will be fair for those who have or will re-qualify with regular requirements....so taking diamond status into consideration, if status is extended then you get no new choice benefits but your 2020 benefits are extended along with your status....if you re-qualify with 1/3rd requirements then you only get 1 choice benefit....if you re-qualify with half requirements then you only get 2 choice benefit....if you meet the regular requirements then you get all 3 choice benefits....
I think it may be even simpler, if you make it either or IE MQMS/ segments , or MQDs whichever is higher. With rollover my only problem as a DM is when will I hit my MQDs, I am 2/3 of the way their now. For MQDs I rollover 400K, which is doable even on domestic only if you do 200K a year for years
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by troyintn
I think it may be even simpler, if you make it either or IE MQMS/ segments , or MQDs whichever is higher. With rollover my only problem as a DM is when will I hit my MQDs, I am 2/3 of the way their now. For MQDs I rollover 400K, which is doable even on domestic only if you do 200K a year for years
that might not work as mqd is not applicable for international members....but i see your logic....either way, i'm sure delta will announce this as & when they have to....
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Also not strictly DL, but someone has a spreadsheet cataloging what the various airline/hotel cancellation/status policies are, from an AF thread:

Originally Posted by Fims
Besides Air France, you can see how other airlines and hotels are behaving at https://bit.ly/loyalty-response-covid19
For your travels in post-COVID19 world, you can choose the ones who are better with customers. There are number of airlines that allow a refund, or to incentivise vouchers, offer vouchers up to 125% value.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Folks, kind reminder this thread is for discussion of Delta Status extension only. Please take general COVID-19 discussion to the Covid forum.

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If the worst of this wraps by June/July, one option would be to just bin the MQD requirements for the year (which might be complicated by sandbagged fares through summer and into fall). That would incentivize a lot of MQM runs while fares are low (and ideally generate some traffic "on the side") but keep folks from getting screwed by having trouble finding ways to make the spend limit.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If the worst of this wraps by June/July, one option would be to just bin the MQD requirements for the year (which might be complicated by sandbagged fares through summer and into fall). That would incentivize a lot of MQM runs while fares are low (and ideally generate some traffic "on the side") but keep folks from getting screwed by having trouble finding ways to make the spend limit.
What you do with international travelers where MQD is not an issue... ?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
binning the mqd requirement wouldn't work for international members....

if the disruption carries on for more than a few months (which it probably will) then the only option would be to reduce the requirements....
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I’m currently Gold, and looking at my projected travel pattern for this year, I could have easily renewed it with about 10k to spare. So far however, I have canceled around 27~30k MQM worth of trips.
I might end up earning a mere 17k MQM this year, if my winter travel plans do not get disrupted.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
.....if the disruption carries on for more than a few months (which it probably will) then the only option would be to reduce the requirements....
Not sure about reducing the requirements will work, maybe Delta giving “credit” for flights that they cancelled such as my trip to EZE earlier this month and KLM cancelling AMS-DXB for mid April. That’s over 25,000 MQM’s that I was willing to travel.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Not sure about reducing the requirements will work, maybe Delta giving “credit” for flights that they cancelled such as my trip to EZE earlier this month and KLM cancelling AMS-DXB for mid April. That’s over 25,000 MQM’s that I was willing to travel.
wrong.

Reducing requirements? Totally possible.
Extending status? Totally possible.
Credit for cancelled trips? No way! Impossible to equitably credit when many people aren’t allowed to book in the first place.

1) why on earth do you doubt that “reducing requirements will work”? Of course it will “work”, if their goal is to retain loyalty in roughy the same proportions/numbers as they had going into 2020. (A fair argument could be made that they don’t want the same numbers they had going into 2020, perhaps due to being a smaller carrier, but even still, this is something they can control for by determining how to reduce requirements for each tier.

2) while it’s great that you were “willing” to travel, why on earth would they reward you for being willing to travel in routes that don’t operate. Furthermore, how could an airline equitably credit for “willingness” to travel when most people aren’t allowed to book reservations right now? What about the folks that had reservations (were willing) but couldn’t reschedule during an appropriate time, so had to take a credit. I could go on. This is perhaps the goofiest idea about status that I’ve heard to date.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrMilano
there is no way they would give mqm credit for proposed travel....they are eventually going to end up with 3 options:

1. do nothing & risk upsetting a lot of elite members who won't be able to re-qualify....
2. extend status for everyone, similar to what hilton has done....
3. reduce qualification requirements in proportion to the number of months that will eventually be lost this year....

i don't expect them to make a decision right now, but probably sometime around july....if travel has resumed by that time then they may go with option 1 above....if it has not (which is a very likely possibility) then they will be forced to go with either options 2 or 3....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.