Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
If you earned Gold for 2020, but managed to earn enough MQM’s for Platinum for the 2021 Medallion year, are you Platinum for 2021 AND carry forward all of your MQM’s...
Yes
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
...or just the ones above 75,000?
No
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, after reading the actual link instead of just the email it is unfortunately very clear that all miles will roll over. This will be a disaster for 2022.
A disaster like sheltering in place for two months with a crippled economy and hundreds of thousands dead?

So upgrades will be impossible on high traffic routes, SCs will be overcrowded, and tons of gate lice PREM and SKY boarding. Sounds like 2019.

The silver lining is if you earn DM the real way this year, you'll rollover 125k+ into next year. If you earn DM again the real way next year you'll end up with 250k+ and rollover 125k+ again into the *next* year. "And so on and so on..."

So you'll be in a position to earn an extra year of free status without flying just like everyone else, except it'll just be down the road, in the first year when you stop flying DM miles on your own.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Keyser
all your mqms....for example, if you earn 125k mqms & qualify for diamond, you will start 2021 with all 125k & will have automatically re-qualified again for 2022....
Not necessarily as MQDs won’t be rolling over from 2020. You will still need to spend the $15K to reach the MQD mark or spend $250K on the DL AMEX Plat or Reserve.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
all your mqms....for example, if you earn 125k mqms & qualify for diamond, you will start 2021 with all 125k & will have automatically re-qualified again for 2022....
Maybe he/she as well as you, but USA residents have MQD requirements and few can get the AmEx waiver for DM.

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
As someone who solely uses the Amex Platinum to reach the MQD waiver and keep his Platinum status, does it make sense then to use my Amex for the rest of the year?

I fly a good bit in economy so reaching Platinum level MQMs is not difficult. In fact this year I am already at 60,000 MQMs but very low on the MQDs. I use my Amex platinum $25k spend waiver to compensate for this. However, with this status extension, does it make sense at all to use it for the rest of 2020 if I can get better points return on other cards?

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think you're forgetting about MQDs. They do not rollover. Edit: Lol rapidfire. Two people beat me by seconds
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Lol. DL is burning $60M a day, 6.6M US workers filed for unemployment last week, 700k jobs were lost in March, we may be headed for a global depression, DL has publicly said they expect to be a much smaller airline coming out of this, yet some are concerned that the number of elites might be too high in 2021 and 2022?

Cool.
MazdaMP, TommyD2 and Zorak like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ek3494
I think this is the part most people are overlooking. Delta as a whole will likely come out of this a very different airline. People are assuming Delta will exist as is, the loyalty program will remain unchanged, etc. I'm totally kicking myself that I let a large number of miles sit idle in my account. Who knows if those will be worth anything in a few months.
Of course Delta may be a completely different airline. But that further extends the absurdity of all of this. There is a non-zero probability that Delta declares bankruptcy before the end of this year, and they're advertising extension of benefits into 2021. A completely premature and potentially false promise.

I have over a million SkyPesos in my account that are at risk, but I don't view that as a real loss since I've had trouble using them anyways.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Not necessarily as MQDs won’t be rolling over from 2020. You will still need to spend the $15K to reach the MQD mark or spend $250K on the DL AMEX Plat or Reserve.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe he/she as well as you, but USA residents have MQD requirements and few can get the AmEx waiver for DM.
fair enough....my point was that the mqm requirement will be taken care of for 2022 in my example above....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
I wonder if DL will adjust 360 status.
I've been wondering the same. Whether they consider it to be a "status" or if their word choice of 360 "program" will be their way out.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I wonder if DL will adjust 360 status.
My guess is it may already be a function of your 'percentile' in your market in regards to MQD, so it will naturally adjust.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Well done Delta! Excellent move. This was honestly the simplest solution possible. No one knows the true end date of this, and there will be tons of variables that affect the individual traveler and how much/little they fly in 2020. This covers them all. No confusing tier adjustments, no mqm/mqd promotion at the end of the year to incentivize regaining status, no complicated status recovery scenario that could lead to people falling through the cracks, and above all, nothing to add stress to the majority of medallions. Sure, there will be people who over analyze this (as it’s already happening), but this was one of the easiest and most positive things I think Delta could do.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zorak
So upgrades will be impossible on high traffic routes, SCs will be overcrowded, and tons of gate lice PREM and SKY boarding. Sounds like 2019.
Exactly. Which is why I don't want 2021 to be like 2019 because of false status extensions. If things are bad because business is booming, great.. I can deal with that. But if the assumption everyone is making is that business will be crap then why should it feel like business is booming as it relates to upgrades? If you look at my post history, I've never asked for (or get) FC upgrades. But I do want C+ upgrades. And not being able to get those as a DM is very frustrating. It's a double slap to the face if I can't get a C+ seat in a low-travel demand environment because Delta decided to artificially extend status to everyone!

The silver lining is if you earn DM the real way this year, you'll rollover 125k+ into next year. If you earn DM again the real way next year you'll end up with 250k+ and rollover 125k+ again into the *next* year. "And so on and so on..."

So you'll be in a position to earn an extra year of free status without flying just like everyone else, except it'll just be fired the road in the first year when you stop flying DM miles on your own.
Great, another 125K to add to my 350K rollover I already have. I can barely hold back my excitement.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:14 am

I think it’s a great move by Delta regardless, and if this is the case, then I am even happier. I’ve spent the last 5 years with Delta building rollover and would just hate to see it evaporate in one year. First world problem, definitely.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by ethernal
This is a disaster. I realize that travel will be depressed for some time, but it was already impossible to get C+ seats as a Diamond before Delta decided to extend status AND provide rollover MQMs. Insane. Everyone and their mother will be Platinum or Diamond next year. Incredibly frustrating for those who have already or will shortly make Diamond without this nonsense.
This is odd to me. Since becoming Platinum two years ago I have NEVER had a flight where I didn't get C+. And, I never accept middle seat "upgrades" either. It shocks me as a Diamond you're having a harder experience.
longing4piedmont and FLYPWM like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.