Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
This is a disaster. I realize that travel will be depressed for some time, but it was already impossible to get C+ seats as a Diamond before Delta decided to extend status AND provide rollover MQMs. Insane. Everyone and their mother will be Platinum or Diamond next year. Incredibly frustrating for those who have already or will shortly make Diamond without this nonsense.
Lol, frustrating for a few and amazing for many.

I get your point, but Delta is clearly trying to appeal to the masses here, a few frustrations (and fallout) from a select number of customers was probably part of their calculations.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:10 am

• Medallion Members will receive a full-year extension of their current Medallion Status – this means that if you don’t requalify for the same Tier or earn a higher Tier on your own, your 2020 Status will be automatically extended through the 2021 Medallion Year. This also includes Members that were gifted Medallion Status from another Member through Choice Benefits, or anyone who was given complimentary Medallion Status through their employer or who successfully completed a Status Match, Reclaim My Status, or other Medallion Status challenge or promotion that offered Medallion Status for 2020.

The above is somewhat ambiguous for those that will end the year with more than 125K miles. It says if you don’t earn the tier on your own you will get an extension. If you do earn it on your own, do they ‘take’ the MQM’s that earned the status and only rollover those miles over and above the threshold?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM PM
This is a disaster. I realize that travel will be depressed for some time, but it was already impossible to get C+ seats as a Diamond before Delta decided to extend status AND provide rollover MQMs. Insane. Everyone and their mother will be Platinum or Diamond next year. Incredibly frustrating for those who have already or will shortly make Diamond without this nonsense.
Not really. The people who make PM and DM are the people who make PM and DM other years. It's not like status is being given willy-nilly. There is an advantage in rollover in that the miles accrued Jan - Mar '20 and when all this is over will be a bump for status acquisition in '22 but I suspect that's where the pile-up will be seen: in higher status in '22 for those who would normally have achieved a lower tier. And this can be overcome by DL revising its tier requirements next year for '22 if it seems unmanageable. DL, as always, is in control!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Relax, even if “everyone and their mother” is a diamond or platinum member rest assured everyone and their mother won’t be flying at levels even close to 2019. If you’re flying in 2021 you’ll be able to utilize your benefits. Most people are gonna be lucky to have a job in 2021 and biz travel will still be extremely depressed.
ijgordon, nichelle, seanp7 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
  • Medallion Members will receive a full-year extension of their current Medallion Status – this means that if you don’t requalify for the same Tier or earn a higher Tier on your own, your 2020 Status will be automatically extended through the 2021 Medallion Year. This also includes Members that were gifted Medallion Status from another Member through Choice Benefits, or anyone who was given complimentary Medallion Status through their employer or who successfully completed a Status Match, Reclaim My Status, or other Medallion Status challenge or promotion that offered Medallion Status for 2020.

The above is somewhat ambiguous for those that will end the year with more than 125K miles. It says if you don’t earn the tier on your own you will get an extension. If you do earn it on your own, do they ‘take’ the MQM’s that earned the status and only rollover those miles over and above the threshold?
Clearly yes. This is just Delta's way of screwing people who are actually flying them this year. I will be out of commission for at least a couple of months, but will still fly at least 150K miles this year and spend well over the $15K mark (only $2K short as of now). If anything it seems to incent people NOT to fly them this year.

Why couldn't they have gone with a more reasonable tier reduction approach? e.g. cut all requirements by 25% or something similar. This is just insane.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly yes. This is just Delta's way of screwing people who are actually flying them this year. I will be out of commission for at least a couple of months, but will still fly at least 150K miles this year and spend well over the $15K mark (only $2K short as of now). If anything it seems to incent people NOT to fly them this year.

Why couldn't they have gone with a more reasonable tier reduction approach? e.g. cut all requirements by 25% or something similar. This is just insane.
I’ll see your couple of months and raise you with until October or November.

This is a good move by Delta. They realize that travel has fallen off a cliff and it’s not gonna suddenly start booming in June or July. Delta often gets criticized for being the first to bring in bad changes but I think they have really gone to bat for their customers here.
nichelle, seanp7, Keyser and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
lol! It didn't take long for absurd comments like this to appear. A 'disaster', really?!

Well done Delta on leadership during this crisis (I wish United would learn from Delta sometimes). This was the right move.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Relax, even if “everyone and their mother” is a diamond or platinum member rest assured everyone and their mother won’t be flying at levels even close to 2019. If you’re flying in 2021 you’ll be able to utilize your benefits. Most people are gonna be lucky to have a job in 2021 and biz travel will still be extremely depressed.
Of course a widescale depression is possible after this. But no one knows this for sure. But that book is not written yet, and so this seems premature. There has been massive monetary and fiscal stimulus released over the past couple of weeks by many governments; if this dose get under control in the next couple of months it is entirely possible that the economy quickly recovers. It is just as likely that it does not (if not moreso), but if either you or Delta can predict with absolute certainty what 2021 then you should shift industries to financial services and make bank.

This announcement / adjustment is entirely premature.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:21 am

I am at 124,700 MQM’s right now. Depending on this, I may switch all my earning to another program this year since I have no idea yet when I will start, or how much flying I will do in the next 21 months, but am confident I will be able to earn 300 MQM’s in the 2021 calendar year.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Because there will more than likely be some people/companies who won’t fly again for the rest of the year, no matter what the situation may look like at the end of the year. Some companies are struggling financially right now and to help recoup any losses, I can guarantee that not everyone’s business travel won’t come back right away, even if the virus is basically gone by the fall.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I’ll see your couple of months and raise you with until October or November.

This is a good move by Delta. They realize that travel has fallen off a cliff and it’s not gonna suddenly start booming in June or July. Delta often gets criticized for being the first to bring in bad changes but I think they have really gone to bat for their customers here.
90% of status benefits - and the ones I think most of us here care about - are a zero-sum game. I don't see how this is "going to bat" for their customers when it is just pitting their customers against each other for limited resources.

If travel really does fall off the cliff, than Gold or Platinum is the new Diamond and so the entire thing is self-correcting.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by NZLMAN

I think the fact that they're offering new Choice Benefit selections to PM and DM in '21 for those who are extended without making status (clarified in the full blurb and somewhat in contradiction to the email) means they have to roll over ALL the DM MQM. Otherwise those of us who qualify would stop flying DL at 124k miles and fly other airlines in order to roll over the 124k.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:23 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I think the fact that they're offering new Choice Benefit selections to PM and DM in '21 for those who are extended without making status (clarified in the full blurb and somewhat in contradiction to the email) means they have to roll over ALL the DM MQM. Otherwise those of us who qualify would stop flying DL at 124k miles and fly other airlines in order to roll over the 124k.

Can you provide where its clarified folks who are extended are getting new choice benefits? I didn't see it.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Can you provide where its clarified folks who are extended are getting new choice benefits? I didn't see it.

MCOFlyer posted this above. Look at the section: Medallion Members. There is a very slight possibility of interpreting it as saying you can choose your existing i.e. 2020 choices for a longer period, but I think the backlash against such an interpretation would be too vicious to contemplate.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavi...miles-benefits
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
MCOFlyer posted this above. Look at the section: Medallion Members. There is a very slight possibility of interpreting it as saying you can choose your existing i.e. 2020 choices for a longer period, but I think the backlash against such an interpretation would be too vicious to contemplate.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavi...miles-benefits

I don't think its slight interpretation, it seems very clear to me we will get those benefits without re qualifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.