Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-medallion-status-club-memberships-and-more-support-skymiles-members-future-travel

https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavirus-update-center/extending-skymiles-benefits
  • current 2020 Medallion status (including gifted and promotional) is being extended through January 31, 2022
  • all MQMs earned in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021, even for non-status members; this includes AMEX boost MQMs
  • Rollover MQMs from 2019 that are currently in members accounts WILL be included when everything rolls over into 2021
  • PMs/DMs who do not re-qualify organically, but instead have their 2020 status extended into 2021, will receive another set of Choice Benefits on Feb 1, 2021
  • many other benefits (including but not limited to upgrade certs, AMEX companion certs, SC memberships/Reserve guest passes) are being extended 6 months -- check the links above for details
  • "SkyMiles Members enrolled in a challenge or promotion to earn Medallion Status [...] can start a new promotion when they are ready to start traveling again if they missed out on achieving the requirements the first time."

Above is a summary, not a full list. See the links for more details.

Print Wikipost

DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Those of us who can make DM again will probably do so, just to get the 2021 GUCs and whatever other perks we get (other than DM line and UG).

This move makes a whole lot of business sense: no cost to DL and no inclination for the status pax to re-think in 2021 their commitment to flying DL for FF status.
puntamita likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Delta Responds to COVID...Extends status thru 2021

Dear Valued Customer,

I hope wherever you are in the world – whether at home with loved ones or on the front lines fighting this pandemic – that you are staying healthy and safe. We thank you for your patience and understanding over the last month as you’ve experienced unprecedented schedule changes and travel disruptions. Our focus today, as always, is on getting you and your loved ones where you need to be quickly and safely.

I want to let you know about some important decisions regarding SkyMiles® Medallion® Status and benefits, travel waivers and cleanliness that will help ensure that we’re meeting your needs in this extraordinary time:
  • Extensions for SkyMiles Members: I appreciate how much you value your Status and benefits, which is why we’re making adjustments so you can continue to enjoy them whenever you’re ready to travel again. You will see these updates automatically reflected in MyProfile/MyWallet before they go into effect.
Medallion Status: Your current Medallion Status will automatically be extended through 2021 whether or not you requalify. In addition, all of your 2020 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) will be rolled over in 2021. If you are enrolled in Status promotions, you will also receive additional flexibility to complete those requirements.

Program travel benefits: Eligible Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members will get more time to enjoy benefits, including Companion Certificates and the $100 Delta flight credits. SkyMiles Members with Upgrade Certificates or $200 Travel Vouchers will also have additional time to enjoy those benefits.

Delta Sky Club® access: If you are a Delta Sky Club Member, you’ll receive an additional six months of club membership free of charge.
  • Additional flexibility: We heard your feedback that you want the value of your tickets to be secure and redeemable for a longer period, so we have extended the ability to plan, re-book and travel for up to two years. We’ve waived change fees for your trips through May 31, 2022 if you have travel booked in April or May as of April 3, 2020, or canceled travel/eCredits from flights in March, April or May 2020. You can also change new tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, without a change fee for up to a year from the date of purchase.
  • A new standard of Delta Clean: Your health and safety remain our highest priority. We are temporarily streamlining onboard food and beverage services domestically and internationally to lessen physical touchpoints between you and our crews. The steps we continue taking to transform expectations of cleanliness across airports and on aircraft are not reserved for times of crisis. They have become our new standard of clean going forward so you can enjoy peace of mind when you’re ready to fly again.
These are the times that define us all, and I want you to know we are here for you as you adjust to these extraordinary circumstances. I remain proud of you and our people as we continue to look out for one another along this journey. Please continue to take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Sincerely,

Ed Bastian
CEO
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I was going for Diamond this year, started with about 44k rollover, so I'll rollover pretty well for next year.

I am actually more concerned that my trip for December has a canceled segment, but that it still shows as an itinerary despite the fact I won't end up getting to where I'm trying to go... and it was booked as the second of two Expedia MQD runs and getting a refund from them is considerably more difficult than working with Delta.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Will DMs and PMs get to select choice benefits again in 2021?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Lets put this nonsense in perspective. This is two-four weeks of the year. From mid March to Mid april we likely will limit travel. That is less than 10% of the entire year. This is not going to go on for six months. or even four months. By late april at the latest this will have run its course and we will be back to traveling.
delta obviously feels this will go on for a lot longer than 2-4 weeks & the world will not return to normal by mid-end april....

i was surprised that they decided to award choice benefits to all plats & diamonds in 2021 as well but overall this is a good decision by delta....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Will DMs and PMs get to select choice benefits again in 2021?
that's what i understand from the email....i wasn't expecting delta to offer this but good for those who won't be able to re-qualify this year....
puntamita likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Keyser
delta obviously feels this will go on for a lot longer than 2-4 weeks & the world will not return to normal by mid-end april....

i was surprised that they decided to award choice benefits to all plats & diamonds in 2021 as well but overall this is a good decision by delta....
To be fair, the world has changed significantly since FlyingBeanCounter made that post. Airlines like Delta are clearly planning for less capacity and flying over an extended period of time
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:27 am

I’m sure it’s probably inferred, but it says your 2020 earned MQM’s will rollover. Do miles rolled over from 2019 into 2020 rollover as well?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Medallion status extended through 2021

Just got an email from Ed Bastian. All medallion statuses extended through 2021. All current MQMs roll over in 2021 for status the following year. No mention if choice benefits get awarded for 2021.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bloc0102
Also worth noting, I read that as all MQM earned in 2019 and 2020 will roll over to 2021.

Edit: I meant MQM rolled over from 2019 to 2020, and the same 2020-2021, not earned. So, maybe not so different than before.
so this is my understanding of the situation....i had about 23k mqm roll over from 2019....this year i have earned 50k mqm so my total is around 73k mqm as of now....if i don't travel at all this year then i will open 2021 with all 73k mqm i have right now & will only require another 52k mqm to re-qualify for diamond....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
no cost to DL,

have you actually read this announcement? There are plenty of cost to Delta...sky club, choice benefits, free drinks in first, and I could go on and on...

Awesome...although status offers very little benefit when not flying. I wish segments also carried over and not just MQMs.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Second, once travel begins, let us all be prepared for a very long upgrade list at the gate with too many medallion members :-)
i don't think so....the number of medallion members will remain the same once travel begins later this year....next year there will be a few more though....but those who would have lost status in 2021 will probably not be traveling too much on dl in any case so i don't think the difference will be too much....
puntamita likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Now

Wonder if they will help give me free miles to hit my million miler status that I was close to reaching?

(This is a JOKE!)
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
This is extraordinarily generous of Delta. Really Amazing. They are even extending my SO gifted status for another year. Way to go Delta!
puntamita likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.