Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak

Open Clubs:

See Delta Sky Club News & Updates for the latest up to date changes. Clubs Permanently Closed:
  • LAX T3 (T3 has been demolished)
  • SCL (re-branding as a LATAM Lounge)
  • SEA: S
Future Clubs: List of Future Delta Sky Clubs & Updates

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think a bare-bones operation will be to Delta’s detriment. THey are going to need to make travel and specifically air travel feel luxurious, safe, and serene. Anything that undermines that will really hurt them. They’ve tried the “packing them in like sardines” strategy. That is over. Time to add cachet and the veneer of safety and “away from the riff-raff and their germs” type of attitude.
I think you're dreaming. There's no competition anymore and I can't see AA or UA deciding to make travel feel luxurious. We're facing a prolonged travel downturn and possible recession and I don't think expensive food at the SC is going to lure people back. It's going to be air travel as basic transportation for a long, long time.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
I think you're dreaming. There's no competition anymore and I can't see AA or UA deciding to make travel feel luxurious. We're facing a prolonged travel downturn and possible recession and I don't think expensive food at the SC is going to lure people back. It's going to be air travel as basic transportation for a long, long time.
I think this is like the past few months with coronavirus in the US. Many people don't believe you, nor all the data coming out that there is a recession if not worse.
I think realistically in the next few months/years "safety" will be the number one priority, and that will be the new luxury (I guess it always has been that way, what with Volvo become a luxury car maker instead of a safe one)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos

I think this is like the past few months with coronavirus in the US. Many people don't believe you, nor all the data coming out that there is a recession if not worse.
I think realistically in the next few months/years "safety" will be the number one priority, and that will be the new luxury (I guess it always has been that way, what with Volvo become a luxury car maker instead of a safe one)
I disagree. In a few months time people aren't going to remember any of this and it will be back to business as usual. The general public has a very short-term memory.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by cmd320
I disagree. In a few months time people aren't going to remember any of this and it will be back to business as usual. The general public has a very short-term memory.
​​​​​​I largely agree the public has a short term memory with something they are "passionate" about that does not directly effect them..such as something a politician, actor, sports figure, or big company says or does.

However, in the minds of a significant portion of the general public (myself not included), the 'Rona will directly effect and kill anyone that gets in its path. Politicians will keep saying this as well, lest they have "blood on their hands" when inevitably someone dies after they reopen society.

That being said, I feel that it will be a very long time before things return to "normal" as far as airline service and luxuries go. While some folks will come out to travel soon, a very significant portion will not until there is a vaccine.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
I agree but as long as COVID-19 is in our news media cycle, no one will be forgetting about it.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
COVID-19 is going to be with us for a while. I think there are some of these events that have wide-ranging and long term impacts on life. I think September 11 was one of them. I think this will be no different. I hope I am wrong, but with this being a possible 2 year event, the longer it goes on, the less likely people are to forget.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
I do wonder if they can make utensils, or at least the portion handled, out of something or have a coating that has both anti bacterial and anti viral properties. Thought there already are antibacterial coatings but not sure how it is effective against viruses.
It is definitely possible to make a fork or spoon out of cobalt 60.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
It is definitely possible to make a fork or spoon out of cobalt 60.
Cobalt 60 is a great antiseptic, antiviral and antibiological. So is Iridium 192 and others in that family of elements.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ok, I knew I should've also said made from or coated with something that won't also kill or cause severe radiation damage to those using it
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think a bare-bones operation will be to Delta’s detriment. THey are going to need to make travel and specifically air travel feel luxurious, safe, and serene. Anything that undermines that will really hurt them. They’ve tried the “packing them in like sardines” strategy. That is over. Time to add cachet and the veneer of safety and “away from the riff-raff and their germs” type of attitude.
I'm going to "split the baby" here: I think the SCs at non-hubs may go away entirely (places like JAX come to mind) but I think there may be an effort to beef up some of the remaining ones (JFK, LAX, and ATL are high on the list here). I think you might see a partial retrenchment at those hubs (I could see one or two SCs in ATL getting cut back, particularly if there's enough of a traffic drop/frequency drop that DL temporarily cuts back traffic in one or two of the ATL terminals.

Basically, I'm thinking somewhere around half of the SCs survive but the remaining ones see a decent level of service retained, especially if we end up with a more hub-and-spoke heavy Delta and the number of flights that are either double-connections or clumsy connections are up.

Also, don't forget...there's a respectable number of SC members and (almost more relevant) Reserve CC holders. I think you can make a case that dropping SCs at lower-traffic outstations isn't going to factor as heavily into those calculations, but I do think that as long as SC memberships (direct or indirect) hold up reasonably well that's going to keep a floor under SC service levels.

(Or, to put it differently, if I'm going to get a better experience at PF Chang's at ATL then the value of that SC membership becomes dubious unless I'm traveling a lot.)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Yes I agree. With the above comments. No way all the little clubs survive.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
IF they don't end up surviving, then DL will have to significantly reduce the annual fee. Pax aren't going to pay for or use SC benefit when one doesn't exist at their home airport. Along with that, Amex will also have to reduce the Reserve annual fee if they don't want to see a substantial amount of people drop the card or switch to plat.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With travel being down, I wonder whether DL could make a deal for AMEX Centurion lounge access or even access to lounges in the PP network to cover airports where there isn't enough traffic in the near future to continue to support a SC for now?
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

DL lounges are also their J class lounges unlike UA/AA. Thus at least at major airports will need to bring back the same product. Also they have spent $$$ renovating/putting in new clubs with higher end food serving areas, like AUS.

OT, but When it comes to food, my question is will the sit down restaurant format survive. (At least for fast food/non-high end)
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:30 am

At ATL A19 right now.
Food options are basically what they were 15 years ago. There is a bartender and limited alcohol. Annoyingly the Sweetwater tap is broken so I had to get Mich Ultra. Still, a draft beer is a draft beer.
FWIW, UA Clubs that are open are still operating with full and normal bar service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.