Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak

Open Clubs:

See Delta Sky Club News & Updates for the latest up to date changes. Clubs Permanently Closed:
  • LAX T3 (T3 has been demolished)
  • SCL (re-branding as a LATAM Lounge)
  • SEA: S
Future Clubs: List of Future Delta Sky Clubs & Updates

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyClub Closures & General Discussion During COVID-19

Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
C club is supposed to open 11.17 from what I heard in the MSP SC this afternoon.
United747 and tardyturtle like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The JFK SC is doing an Octoberfest buffet, including hot pretzels and hot apple cider (nonalcoholic and served). The SkyDeck was closed today.
cmd320, dmarge18 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The JFK SC is doing an Octoberfest buffet, including hot pretzels and hot apple cider (nonalcoholic and served). The SkyDeck was closed today.
Hopefully that’s on the menu for later today as I do love a hot pretzel with mustard.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

DCA offerings two weeks ago. Frankly this Club used to have unappetizing breakfast options because they were trying too hard to be fancy so I actually enjoyed the return to basics.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Last night I observed a sign on the doors of DTW B/C stating it will reopen on Nov 17.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Cannot wait until they re-open C... F/G is significantly busier tonight than I have seen recently. May need to reopen the threads on lounge crowding, but with renewed meaning post COVID
I agree it's about time for MSP C to reopen. I've had a few recent visits in F/G that would have been considered relatively busy even pre-covid. Plus. the C gates and beyond seem plenty busy with RJ traffic these days.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I was at the LAX Sky Club today and it was very packed. The most people I've seen there since the pandemic started. Lots of people talking on the phone without masks. And the worse was a guy constantly coughing out of control. It was a dry raspy type of cough. My problem with that is what's going to happen in the coming months when even more people enter coughing? He could have very well had covid because there's no testing, temperature checks or symptoms check done in the LAX airport or the SkyClub. They just let anybody in. And nobody is monitoring for mask usage. Not sure if I will be returning there if things don't change.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I was at the LAX Sky Club today and it was very packed. The most people I've seen there since the pandemic started. Lots of people talking on the phone without masks. And the worse was a guy constantly coughing out of control. It was a dry raspy type of cough. My problem with that is what's going to happen in the coming months when even more people enter coughing? He could have very well had covid because there's no testing, temperature checks or symptoms check done in the LAX airport or the SkyClub. They just let anybody in. And nobody is monitoring for mask usage. Not sure if I will be returning there if things don't change.
Interesting. The last 3 times I was through LAX in the past couple of months, there was an active member of the staff walking around and reminding those not actively eating/drinking that they needed to be wearing a mask. Most recent visit was 2 weeks ago on a Friday and most every available seat was taken.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Interesting. The last 3 times I was through LAX in the past couple of months, there was an active member of the staff walking around and reminding those not actively eating/drinking that they needed to be wearing a mask. Most recent visit was 2 weeks ago on a Friday and most every available seat was taken.
I've been there at least 4 times in the last month, so that's why I posted this information. Seems things have changed. Or at least in my visit yesterday. Same thing happened on my Delta flight. Numerous passengers wearing the mask below their nose and FAs doing nothing. I told an FA about and she shrugged it off with an attitude. It will be duly reported on my survey.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
BTW the Centurion lounge at JFK does do a temperature check upon entrance, just after showing your AmEx card. There's also a prominent hand sanitizer stand there and I suspect they invite people to use it who haven't already voluntarily done so. [It also has seating in some nice private alcoves, so social distancing is natural in much of the lounge.....unlike the DL SC at LAX, where people seem packed together in some areas and the U-turn in the chute after getting a drink puts one face to face with one or two others at very close range.]
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
BTW the Centurion lounge at JFK does do a temperature check upon entrance, just after showing your AmEx card. There's also a prominent hand sanitizer stand there and I suspect they invite people to use it who haven't already voluntarily done so. [It also has seating in some nice private alcoves, so social distancing is natural in much of the lounge.....unlike the DL SC at LAX, where people seem packed together in some areas and the U-turn in the chute after getting a drink puts one face to face with one or two others at very close range.]
There is also close to no traffic at JFK Terminal 4.
It seems like if you are demanding for Delta to restore a full schedule, reopen every sky club, and open the bars, a full crowd at the Skyclub is going to happen.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
There is also close to no traffic at JFK Terminal 4.
It seems like if you are demanding for Delta to restore a full schedule, reopen every sky club, and open the bars, a full crowd at the Skyclub is going to happen.
HUH? Please read my post that you quoted. Where did I say anything about DL restoring a full (flight) schedule, reopening all SCs, or reopening bars?
AeRoSpaceman and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:11 am

HUH? Please read my post that you quoted. Where did I say anything about DL restoring a full (flight) schedule, reopening all SCs, or reopening bars?
Sorry, it was a collective "you" referring to the frequent posters in this forum, including those who liked your post and the post you were replying to. The tenor in this thread has been consistent in griping about those subjects, despite the record pandemic levels. And the comparison you made was inapt because JFK T4 is a dead zone.

People have insisted the only reason not to reopen and restore full levels of service at Skyclubs is "cost cutting", but it seems fairly obvious that encouraging people to linger eating and drinking in indoor spaces has other downsides.
​​​​​
im sure if Skyclubs had folks lined up waiting to have their temperature scanned, people would complain that Delta is being cheap in not hiring more people to do temperature scans, and how dare they make people wait and a Skyclub membership is useless if they cannot enter *immediately*.
koreanair720 likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Nov 8, 2020 at 8:20 am
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:49 am

The other side of this is that if DL isn't going to be serving much F&B on flights, people are more inclined to eat and drink in a SC before or after their flights. Also, if most of the shops in a terminal are closed, there's less to do and it's less interesting to walk around the terminal, so this could cause people to spend more time in a SC (or airport bar, if it's open) as an alternative to sitting at the gate.

With fewer business travelers, I would generally expect a smaller percentage of passengers to have SC access, but families traveling for leisure might be more inclined to pay for (guest) admission during COVID-19. Shorter TSA lines also mean that people have more time to wait airside, even for those without PreCheck , SkyPriority, or CLEAR.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:23 am

The other side of this is that if DL isn't going to be serving much F&B on flights, people are more inclined to eat and drink in a SC before or after their flights. Also, if most of the shops in a terminal are closed, there's less to do and it's less interesting to walk around the terminal, so this could cause people to spend more time in a SC (or airport bar, if it's open) as an alternative to sitting at the gate.

With fewer business travelers, I would generally expect a smaller percentage of passengers to have SC access, but families traveling for leisure might be more inclined to pay for (guest) admission during COVID-19. Shorter TSA lines also mean that people have more time to wait airside, even for those without PreCheck , SkyPriority, or CLEAR.
​​​​​​seems more likely if people know there are shorter TSA lines, they can just get to the airport later.
I wouldn't assume that the proportions of travelers with SC access has changed. Perusing FT indicates a lot of people with elite status are refusing to alter their travel plans because of the raging pandemic. It depends where in the country, of course, but people who already only fly once or twice a year seem more willing to adjust their leisure travel due to a pandemic.

I don't think you can assume that people are using SCs as replacements for in-flight F&B. I think it's a straw man. The food in skyclubs has been better than the food on all but premium routes for awhile now. And the airports that are most crowded also have F&B outlets open.

I believe someone in this thread continued to state how awful the SC food is and he preferred a Chinese chain restaurant.

​​​​​​But the important point of my comment was that these things are related: increasing F&B at Skyclubs and increasing flight schedules sensibly leads to more crowded Skyclubs. I'm not sure why that is objectionable, even to the DL haters who have very strong opinions on how they would run an airline during a pandemic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.