Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AmEx Companion Certs Will Be Re-instated and Will Be Good through 12/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Mods can feel free to merge with an existing Coronavirus update/ticket changes thread but I didn't see a specific post (or thread) regarding changing/canceling tickets in which AmEx companion certificates were used. I just canceled a ticket that was booked with my wife's AmEx Companion Certificate. The certificate expired at the end of April. But DL will be re-instating the certificate, which will be good through December 31, 2020.

She received an e-credit for the full value of her ticket. One note is that we will not be able to use that e-cert when we look to re-use the companion certificate because you can't combine e-certs on a ticket which applies the companion cert. We plan to travel enough that this shouldn't impact us but for those with an AmEx companion cert who don't travel as frequently, they may need to be aware.
I was the "companion" - the taxes paid are being refunded to her CC (not an e-credit but full refund here).
Again, as noted, we will have up to December 31 to use the Companion Certificate.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
One note is that we will not be able to use that e-cert when we look to re-use the companion certificate because you can't combine e-certs on a ticket which applies the companion cert.
I will be in a similar situation when I cancel my JFK-IAH ticket next week....unless DL cancels the flight before I do. I bought the ticket and my daughter is the companion. We even used RUCs and got upgraded to F.

Where is the policy that says tickets bought with e-credits *cannot* be combined with Amex Companion Certificates?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I will be in a similar situation when I cancel my JFK-IAH ticket next week....unless DL cancels the flight before I do. I bought the ticket and my daughter is the companion. We even used RUCs and got upgraded to F.

Where is the policy that says tickets bought with e-credits *cannot* be combined with Amex Companion Certificates?
Amex companion tickets must be paid for with an AMEX card.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:13 am

@ATOBTTR: What method did you use to cancel? I am in the same situation for an upcoming trip and want to do it as efficiently as possible and minimize my impact on Delta's systems. Thx.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Auston
@ATOBTTR: What method did you use to cancel? I am in the same situation for an upcoming trip and want to do it as efficiently as possible and minimize my impact on Delta's systems. Thx.
I called to cancel because I wasn’t sure if canceling online would immediately reinstate the companion certificate. And the agent did have to do some manual stuff so I’m guessing that one will need to call in to ensure the companion cert is returned to their profile.
Auston likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Companion certificate reissued?

Edit: found my answer in the Covid 19 thread. Looks like it will be reissued, but may be best to call in.

Sorry if this has already been answered here. I looked, but didn’t find an answer to my question.

i have a flight to LAS booked in mid-April. When booking the flight, I used an Amex companion certificate for my son (mine was paid, his with the cert). As my meeting has been cancelled and Vegas is essentially shut down, I will need to cancel the trip. My meeting has been rescheduled for October. I will attend, but my son will be in school during the new dates and won’t be able to come. Will I end up losing the certificate or will it be reissued?

I don’t want to call right now as I’m sure they have more pressing matters.

TIA
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Stygian7
Edit: found my answer in the Covid 19 thread. Looks like it will be reissued, but may be best to call in.

Sorry if this has already been answered here. I looked, but didn’t find an answer to my question.

i have a flight to LAS booked in mid-April. When booking the flight, I used an Amex companion certificate for my son (mine was paid, his with the cert). As my meeting has been cancelled and Vegas is essentially shut down, I will need to cancel the trip. My meeting has been rescheduled for October. I will attend, but my son will be in school during the new dates and won’t be able to come. Will I end up losing the certificate or will it be reissued?

I don’t want to call right now as I’m sure they have more pressing matters.

TIA
Also this thread: AmEx Companion Certs Will Be Re-instated and Will Be Good through 12/31
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
I canceled my JFK-IAH trip early April....got the companion certificate back in wallet, but was *not* reinstated till 12/31/20....instead DL.com shows original expiry date in September.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:47 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
How about GUCs and RUCs?? Any word on those?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
How about GUCs and RUCs?? Any word on those?
not that I've seen, but this would be the thread to follow: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...due-virus.html
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
The Companion Certificate from my recently canceled booking has now (after some days delay) been returned to my wallet, and does have an expiration date of 12/31/2020, but shows "Closed" where the certificate number should be. Does this match what others are seeing?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Amex companion tickets must be paid for with an AMEX card.
Yes, but you might ask--as I successfully just did--for the credit back to be issued as a credit card statement credit and not placed in My Wallet. If likewise successful, one would then not have to choose between paying for one's next ticket with cert vs My Wallet credits. Wishing you success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.