Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Passenger on flight tomorrow... what will happen?

Only Passenger on flight tomorrow... what will happen?

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by paul21
These are not normal times. Schedule adjustment can't keep up with the real-time changes so there are plenty of day-of DL cancellations for capacity right now.
Yes these are not normal times and this was a DLC flight, not DL. That doesn't change the fact that flights (full or empty) don't operate in a vacuum. Crews and airplanes still have lines of flight to operate. Airplanes still need to end up in maintenance bases to have scheduled checks and work done. Having worked years in system ops, I can tell you load is way down on the list of cancellation criteria.

Most importantly for the OP's situation, like I said before, regionals don't get paid if they don't operate the flights. They could care less whether there are 100% or 0% load factors. They still get paid the same for operating said flights.
Revelate likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Had a total of 3 people on my flight from MSN to SLC last night. I originally booked into First... they upgraded the other two passengers.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Yes these are not normal times and this was a DLC flight, not DL. That doesn't change the fact that flights (full or empty) don't operate in a vacuum. Crews and airplanes still have lines of flight to operate. Airplanes still need to end up in maintenance bases to have scheduled checks and work done. Having worked years in system ops, I can tell you load is way down on the list of cancellation criteria.

Most importantly for the OP's situation, like I said before, regionals don't get paid if they don't operate the flights. They could care less whether there are 100% or 0% load factors. They still get paid the same for operating said flights.
Look at the cancellation numbers today. Every mainline carrier pretty much cancelled 200-600 flights today in the US, same with yesterday. Those are capacity cuts. I'll give you the DLC, I wasn't paying attention, but the mainline are definitely cutting for low yield. No one is doing scheduled checks right now. No one is doing maintenance right now. Flight crews are way underutilized other than open time to parking lots.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs
Had a total of 3 people on my flight from MSN to SLC last night. I originally booked into First... they upgraded the other two passengers.
More effective social distancing would have been to spread everyone out and provide/offer F service to all of them.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You have the best seat on the plane and there's a (slight) chance that you'll be able to enjoy one of those rare opportunities to fly private on DL by being the only passenger in FC. Enjoy.
Unless there's a weight & balance issue and OP has to move to the back
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Only 3 people on flight 7 if you count the crew
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by paul21
No one is doing scheduled checks right now. No one is doing maintenance right now.
Then they're in violation of federal law or...you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Airlines are not breaking laws and endangering lives just because demand is down. smdh.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Only 3 people on flight 7 if you count the crew
Where is everyone sitting?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Where is everyone sitting?
I was in 5B.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I was in 5B.
I was 1A
Someone else was in 2D
I believe there was someone else in 6A.

I realized there were actually 4 passengers after I posted above.

FA was super attentive as if the flight was empty.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
......and half of the passengers were FTers? That's an impressive percentage. Often one gets the impression when there's some IROPs incident that there are roughly two of us on average on flights.

Still, with these seat assignments, one wonders about social distancing as well as weight and balance.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I was in 5B.
No upgrade on an empty flight as a DM?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:06 am

The DM was "upgraded" to C+?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:47 am

The DM was "upgraded" to C+?
And a middle seat to boot!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JTE458
And a middle seat to boot!
​​​​​​
No Middle seats crj900

But 2C was upgraded, and was seated in 1B but asked to be changed to 2C. I am not sure if it was because he was right next to me or what.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.