Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by snic
When you submitted the request, how long did they tell you it would take?

What I don't understand is why, the day after that period of time expires, people don't dispute the charge with the credit card bank. Then it becomes the bank's problem, not yours.
Because that's not actually how it works.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by danger
What is Delta's policy or process for providing a refund to a credit card that is no longer active? Since booking (months ago), I've cancelled my card and no longer have any accounts with that bank. Is getting my money back to be an extra hassle?
I asked this same question of a DL CSR the other day. She said that the credit card company should be contacted and will likely issue a check for the refunded amount or, if AMEX, they may be able to transfer the credit to another card should you have one.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Klarity7
I don’t see any harm in waiting another week or two. They just made major changes to my Mid July Asia flights the other day. I am glad I waited just to have the increased flexibility. Can’t hurt is the way I see it. Others may have different thoughts.
Well, my flight was finally cancelled today, but they automatically issued e-certs that expire two years from date of purchase rather than the cash refund we are entitled to. This is quite annoying given the very large balance of e-certs we already have. I’ll be calling in tonight.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
I asked this same question of a DL CSR the other day. She said that the credit card company should be contacted and will likely issue a check for the refunded amount or, if AMEX, they may be able to transfer the credit to another card should you have one.
Thanks for that. Does Delta contact the credit card company (Visa in my case) or is that something I'm supposed to do? Does my former bank need to be involved at any point?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Not a DL flyer but have tried to look thru the last few pages here.

My wife had a ticket booked on DL stock, AF on the outbound to CDG, return on VS from LHR. Logged in today to see this notice:

The return from LHR has been completely cancelled (not on the VS schedule anymore, in fact, no non-stops at all)

Went to the Change Flight option and on the cancellation the only option was eCredit which of course I know they're trying to force you towards, but since the flight is cancelled, she should be eligible for a full refund. So I submitted the IRROPs "Refund for non-refundable ticket" form. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Her outbound is scheduled on 6/23, so don't want something weird to happen because obviously she isn't getting on the outbound and I know from this thread that DL is ridiculously backed up on refund requests. As long as all is good, I won't worry about it and expect to see the money back on the card sometime between now and 2023

Additionally, she was travelling with several other people on the same itinerary (separate PNRs). They all already opted for eCredit. Based on my reading of this thread, it seems they are now eligible for a full cash refund as well, correct? Do they just fill out the same form as I did for my wife?
Anyone?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Well, my flight was finally cancelled today, but they automatically issued e-certs that expire two years from date of purchase rather than the cash refund we are entitled to. This is quite annoying given the very large balance of e-certs we already have. I’ll be calling in tonight.
The conversion to ecredit is (unfortunately) standard practice, but it is automatic and at least visible. Pre-COVID this was not always visible in my experience - sometimes had to enter the ticket number to actually see the credit for a canceled ticket. Agree it is annoying that you have to call in and ask for the refund, and even worse that the wait is now 12+ weeks and seemingly growing, not shrinking. Still waiting on our refunds for four D1 tickets submitted early May.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:48 am

I have a refund that was processed on 4/29 that I am still waiting to receive. 1.5 months to process a refund sounds pretty extreme to me, almost like Delta is taking as much time as possible.

FYI, they refunded my money partially once, but with $350 off for a cancellation "penalty" . I had to call and clarify that the penalty shouldn't have been applied. Be on the lookout for that.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Because that's not actually how it works.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
That's what I did with an Emirates refund that was supposed to take 30 days. I called them around day 40 and was told to allow up to another 120 days. Uhh...nope. I contacted CapitalOne, submitted a dispute. My refund posted about 10 days later.
So that's how it works with Emirates, but not with Delta?

Somehow I think it will work fine - it's more up to the bank than the airline.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by snic
So that's how it works with Emirates, but not with Delta?

Somehow I think it will work fine - it's more up to the bank than the airline.
What posts on your bank statement 10 days later isnt actually a permanent refund, but a temporary credit from the bank. And yes, different companies dispute chargebacks differently. It is unfortunate that people slow down the process for everyone by misusing the chargeback process.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
........It is unfortunate that people slow down the process for everyone by misusing the chargeback process.
It's DL's incapacity to properly and timely process refunds that has forced people's hands into taking action. If I was eligible under the banking rules to initiate a chargeback, I would have done so a long time ago. I had NO idea that DL couldn't get their act together. The fog surrounding DL and this refund process is unwarranted. DL should be more forthcoming with what's going on and give a realistic timeframe of when people should be able to get their refunds. Maybe then, people wouldn't be compelled to take actions to get access to the refunds they're due. DL has not operated in good faith with this situation.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I fear this is going to be a really long haul on getting refunds.

Lets say Delta customer service is honest and they just completed March. Think about how many flights were cancelled in March vs April. While many people elected not to fly the last half of March, most flights weren’t cancelled and operated half empty. This means those flights were non-refundable, and eligible for an e-credit only.

Early April is when the number of flight cancellations significantly increased, and where refunds could be requested. My point is, if it has taken them this long just to process the handful of March cancellations, how long is an actual full month of significant flight cancellations (April, May, etc.) going to take?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:34 am

Data point: Today, I finally received an email from Delta saying that they processed my refund from 4/4. Now let's see how long it takes for it to show on my CC.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xslash10x
Data point: Today, I finally received an email from Delta saying that they processed my refund from 4/4. Now let's see how long it takes for it to show on my CC.
Thanks for posting this. It's exactly what we need to know.
CirqueRunaway likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
What posts on your bank statement 10 days later isnt actually a permanent refund, but a temporary credit from the bank. And yes, different companies dispute chargebacks differently. It is unfortunate that people slow down the process for everyone by misusing the chargeback process.
I am trying to understand why you think this would be misusing the chargeback process.

If Delta (or any company) promises you a refund in X days, and they don't perform, that is just as bad as if they charged you for a product and then did not deliver it to you. In either case I would dispute the charge with the bank. That's one reason why I use credit cards to begin with - for these sorts of protections. I'm genuinely interested in understanding why I shouldn't avail myself of those protections in this case - am I missing some rule or regulation, or some obligation on my part to wait longer than the company told me to wait for the refund?
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: DL-DM, MM
Originally Posted by xslash10x
My refund showed up on my AmEx Reserve card within a day of Delta finally processing it.
CirqueRunaway and xslash10x like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.