Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benfro6
Early mornings seem to be best, but that is completely arbitrary. Hold times dropped within a few days after schedule changes were released last month. Just keep trying.
Side note: wouldn't reenabling their online change system alleviate a ton of this bottleneck for itin management?
I'm willing to wait on hold. But that's not even an option. The phone system just says call back and hangs up.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I'm willing to wait on hold. But that's not even an option. The phone system just says call back and hangs up.
Have people tried other methods like FB or iMessage? Got a response after 6 hours on FB and started messaging the rep when the notification came in on the phone. Was trying to get cash for a nonstop that got cancelled and replaced with a connection.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Zorak
Wow. Cancelled 5/5, received the paper voucher in the mail today, and I notice the credit card portion has been refunded also (posting date of 5/20).

"Wow" because I know others were waiting even longer for DV vouchers/refunds. Maybe things are flowing now? Like when you're trying to get ketchup out of the bottle.
While I am happy to hear of your good fortune, it's still very frustrating for me. I am still waiting for a credit card refund and voucher for my Delta Vacation that was cancelled on March 15! 73 days (approximately 51 business days) and counting...

I have only called them once in mid-April if memory serves me correctly, where they stated I was in the queue. Will be calling them again today.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Here's what finally worked for me - I never would have thought of it but someone on a points and miles Facebook group I'm in suggested it:

I filed a legit complaint on Delta's website describing my issue. Then once I got the confirmation email about the complaint, I called Delta. One of the phone menu options was "are you calling about your complaint". I hit Yes and I got put in a queue to wait for a rep. 45 minutes on hold and I had my flight change.
ab2013 likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:27 am

So I was an idiot early on in this and cancelled a flight covered under the waiver, since it was early enough that I wasn't sure DL would cancel. I have an eCredit as a result, but would be really nice to get a refund instead. Is it possible to use that eCredit to buy a refundable ticket in the future and then just cancel that flight for a refund to the credit card I would have as part of the reservation?
Old May 27, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
But zero penalty to the passenger who doesn’t cancel in advance.
There is zero penalty to the passenger, no matter what, as long as the flight shows up cancelled eventually
Old May 27, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CountZero
So I was an idiot early on in this and cancelled a flight covered under the waiver, since it was early enough that I wasn't sure DL would cancel. I have an eCredit as a result, but would be really nice to get a refund instead. Is it possible to use that eCredit to buy a refundable ticket in the future and then just cancel that flight for a refund to the credit card I would have as part of the reservation?
If the flight did not operate as scheduled, it does make any difference if you cancelled in advance. Call Delta and request a refund of the money. They may try and talk you out of getting a refund and holding the ecredit. You just have to be clear that you want a complete refund.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm not certain this is the right thread for this. American has extended the window for booking with no change fees until June 30. Will Delta match?
Old May 27, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM, MM
Originally Posted by sakaike
While I am happy to hear of your good fortune, it's still very frustrating for me. I am still waiting for a credit card refund and voucher for my Delta Vacation that was cancelled on March 15! 73 days (approximately 51 business days) and counting...

I have only called them once in mid-April if memory serves me correctly, where they stated I was in the queue. Will be calling them again today.
I called yesterday as it was 8 weeks since my 3/30 cancellation. I called the diamond line and got an immediate call-back. That rep put me on hold, supposedly spoke with a supervisor, and gave me a crazy story about how mine was a corporate refund and I'd have to call the refund desk. It was not a corporate ticket. Called the refund line and actually got someone within 5 minutes. That rep complained about how backlogged they were, suggesting my inquiry was bothersome.
She did, however, tell me something that is good to know if it is indeed true. If you use more than one form of payment, as I did by using an e-cert and paying the balance with my Amex reserve card, the refund has to be processed manually and will take time. If you use only one form of payment, all SkyMiles or all charged to a card, the refund can be immediate or will at least be much quicker. I'm curious if anyone who has been waiting a long time used only one form of payment.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If the flight did not operate as scheduled, it does make any difference if you cancelled in advance. Call Delta and request a refund of the money. They may try and talk you out of getting a refund and holding the ecredit. You just have to be clear that you want a complete refund.
So even if I proactively cancelled before the flight, the fact that I have now discovered that DL cancelled one of those flights (itinerary was DCA->BOS->AMS, AMS->DTW->DCA and they cancelled the BOS->AMS leg) would make me eligible for a refund in lieu of the eCredit I initially accepted?
Old May 27, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm not certain this is the right thread for this. American has extended the window for booking with no change fees until June 30. Will Delta match?
I came to post the same thing. They should definitely match, if not extend the change fee waiver until the end of the summer. There is still so much uncertainty with events, restrictions, etc.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bulkhead Aisle
I called yesterday as it was 8 weeks since my 3/30 cancellation. I called the diamond line and got an immediate call-back. That rep put me on hold, supposedly spoke with a supervisor, and gave me a crazy story about how mine was a corporate refund and I'd have to call the refund desk. It was not a corporate ticket. Called the refund line and actually got someone within 5 minutes. That rep complained about how backlogged they were, suggesting my inquiry was bothersome.
She did, however, tell me something that is good to know if it is indeed true. If you use more than one form of payment, as I did by using an e-cert and paying the balance with my Amex reserve card, the refund has to be processed manually and will take time. If you use only one form of payment, all SkyMiles or all charged to a card, the refund can be immediate or will at least be much quicker. I'm curious if anyone who has been waiting a long time used only one form of payment.
Mine was also a mixed payment and after waiting 6 weeks I just used it for a future flight.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: free agent
Trying to work out the best plan to ensure I don't lose out. Booked a couple of domestic tickets to connect to an Avianca flight in Nov. Those trips were cancelled because of the unrest. Was given a change fee waiver to rebook within 1 yr. Given a flight this year seems unlikely for us, is there a way to convert this into an ecredit for 2021?
Old May 28, 2020, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by CountZero
So even if I proactively cancelled before the flight, the fact that I have now discovered that DL cancelled one of those flights (itinerary was DCA->BOS->AMS, AMS->DTW->DCA and they cancelled the BOS->AMS leg) would make me eligible for a refund in lieu of the eCredit I initially accepted?
Yes
Old May 28, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by Bulkhead Aisle
That is good to know but it still sucks, and is an example of how woefully inadequate some of their systems are. This should not be this difficult - there's electronic records of everything. Similarly, it amazes me sometimes how long seemingly simple things take for a phone agent to complete - seems like very inefficient use of resources. I put in for refunds of 4 D1 tickets last week, all paid with a cash/ecredit combo. Sounds like i'll be lucky to see these refunds by the end of July .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.