Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Will Delta Match Alaska Airlines New Refud Policy Due to Coronavirus?

o.k., most of us are worried to some degree by Coronavirus.

Here's how Alaska Airlines has responded. This seems to be a gutsy move that allows free cancelation for a year. Will Delta respond in a similar fashion?

"At Alaska, we are optimistic about the future and hope you feel that way too. We launched our Peace of Mind policy so that you can take comfort in knowing that any ticket purchased after February 27, 2020 can be changed or canceled without a fee (applies for any travel through February 28, 2021)."
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by yogimax

Here's how Alaska Airlines has responded. This seems to be a gutsy move that allows free cancelation for a year. Will Delta respond in a similar fashion?

"At Alaska, we are optimistic about the future and hope you feel that way too. We launched our Peace of Mind policy so that you can take comfort in knowing that any ticket purchased after February 27, 2020 can be changed or canceled without a fee (applies for any travel through February 28, 2021)."
AS's policy is not a refund policy. The funds are still nonrefundable unless you purchased a refundable fare. If you cancel your ticket, you get a e-credit deposited into your wallet without change fee - you will not receive a full refund back to your original form of payment. I believe only one change is permitted without penalty.

And yes, DL has matched this policy: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by yogimax
Disagree entirely. I don't have a single friend, coworker or person who travels regularly who has brought it up as something they are worried about.
Even my dear ol' mother - who has warmed me of every potential risk, to every part of the world I have ever traveled to (be careful in London son!!) - thinks this entire things is peak crazy.

The only worry a lot of people have is how gullible the world population appears to be, and how mass cancellations and over-reactions are inconveniencing those of us who are still flying every week and living normal lives.
So, I just wanted to reject your first sentence, as I believe it is demonstrably false.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Disagree entirely. I don't have a single friend, coworker or person who travels regularly who has brought it up as something they are worried about.
No one is even worried about disruptions, cancellations, quarantines or the like?
Adelphos and Rhinolicious like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Yeah, WestCoastPDX, I admire your persistence, but tons of people in Corporate America are worried about the impact of disruption. I see an increasing number of people here in NYC taking additional precautions (dispoable gloves in subways, masks, etc). As someone with some personal and work trip booked over the next few weeks, I am worried about delays, disruption, not being able to do what I need to do at my location, meetings being cancelled last minute, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah, WestCoastPDX, I admire your persistence, but tons of people in Corporate America are worried about the impact of disruption. I see an increasing number of people here in NYC taking additional precautions (dispoable gloves in subways, masks, etc). As someone with some personal and work trip booked over the next few weeks, I am worried about delays, disruption, not being able to do what I need to do at my location, meetings being cancelled last minute, etc.
Thanks - I will keep beating the drum of reason and understanding math

--
That said, big (especially public) corporations, certainly need to at least pretend to care. So, as a business owner, we've sent out notices to our team to make sure they are healthy and safe.
We haven't changed any travel plans, and don't intend to... but...

Do you know what scares companies more than coronavirus?
Lawsuits.

So, I'll keep shouting, as an individual and not a business owner - that this is the most massive overreaction in history.
But, I totally see how companies want to not 'put their employees at risk' - even when they know their teams driving to work every day are 1000x more risky than catching a mutated flu virus on the road.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Do you know what scares companies more than coronavirus?
Lawsuits.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
As someone with some personal and work trip booked over the next few weeks, I am worried about delays, disruption, not being able to do what I need to do at my location, meetings being cancelled last minute, etc.
Well, lawsuits are a worry and a consideration.

My daughter has a school trip to France planned next month, but as the French numbers rise, I can't see how they could not cancel the trip. I am quite sure my daughter will be fine, and she actually wants to be quarantined upon return and do school from home, but the school has to worry about nervous nelly parents.

And someone with COVID-19 is in my office, so the office management is turning themselves upside down to clean and disinfect and soothe people.

It's too much of an unknown not to consider worrying. But I hear you WestCoastPDX.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Several schools in San Francisco & East Bay have closed. Twitter went almost fully work from home, and many other companies are following.

I understand that some may not be concerned, but in the Bay Area, it's getting real.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:18 pm

What happens if you want to cancel and not rebook by May 2020?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
For those who are still flying and not grounded, are you seeing any material difference?

Empty Seats?
Shorter Upgrade lists? Etc?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Corona Virus trip cancellation related question. No sure if this is the right forum to ask the question, but after looking around it seems like the most knowledge is here.

My college age daughter was supposed to go to Europe on a spring break trip but for reasons related to the corona virus the trip has fallen apart so I’m going to cancel the flights. There is no point in rebooking so I will take a credit voucher.

The initial outbound leg is BHM/ATL on DL metal, but booked on a KL codeshare (itinerary reflects a KL flight number). It connects to ATL/AMS on KL, and the AMS to DUB, also on KL. The return is LHR/ATL and then ATL/BHM, both on DL metal, but also booked as a KL codeshare. The ticket issued by Expedia starts with 006 so it was issued on DL ticket stock, not KL.

So my question is who will be the credit issuer? Will it be KL since all legs are on a KL coded flight, or DL since the ticket was issued on DL ticket stock? I understand that any credit issued by KL will be good for use on AF, KL or DL flights, but it would be nice to know what I should expect to hear from Expedia when I call and where I should expect the credit to appear.

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryandc99
For those who are still flying and not grounded, are you seeing any material difference?

Empty Seats?
SFO-JFK yesterday was remarkably empty -- I think 7/16 D1 were upgrades.
Cory6188 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since its a 006 DL ticket, credit would be coming from DL. KL codeshare just means that it was issued with DL flight numbers, and the ticket is DL stock. Only complication is with Expedia, since I don't know how their policy works.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:53 pm

I have five award tickets OMA-GCM on MAR20-25. Reading the latest updates here (https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...travel-updates), it is geared toward cash tickets. How are award tickets handled? Would I receive a full refund of miles and fees?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99

Empty Seats?

I have been watching my flight to Rome(April 1 - April 6) to see how the capacity has been. Outbound in D1 there are 19 open seats (only 1 new seat has open in the last 2 weeks) in MC there are a ton of seats open but I know some of them usually are BE so they usually fill up closer to boarding but on the return D1 has gone from 17 seats booked to just 7 and a lot of open seats in MC. Im starting to wonder if they will cut capacity on this route but i didnt know if they truly could since its the only JFK-FCO on Delta or if they would start routing everyone through ATL or a hub in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.