Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Still waiting on a refund from April 12th. To add insult to injury two flights I cancelled for my parents earlier this week have already been refunded...
Old May 14, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on my missing flights: you all were right, of course. They were in limbo while Delta was trying to see if I wanted to be rebooked or to cancel. They canceled them all quickly with me by phone (by callback in about 30 min), the miles are back in my account, and I should be getting a nice fat refund of fees due to the one ways from Europe to the US.
mattp1987 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:10 pm

xliioper: Thank you! No credit card required as I expected.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:00 pm
GRG

Programs: DL SM
Well, I no longer "need" to go to, and as much as I'd like to go since I've never been there before, now isn't the best time to visit. However, had I really needed to go, it looks like driving to DTW would have been my only option as DL operations at TVC have been reduced to a single daily flight to DTW. Mid-June would normally see at least 6 between DTW and MSP, probably more. I suppose I'd be fine with an eCredit as I do have future travel plans (....maybe?), but at this point I think I'd prefer the refund.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:01 pm

If the hold is more than 20 minutes I call DL in Singapore and get right through. Very professional and solve all my problems in a few minutes.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:36 pm

As of tonight, Delta Refunds Dept are processing refunds from last week in March.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

DL cancelled my LGA-TVC direct flight (end of July) and rebooked me to LGA-DTW-TVC. I was also in first, and the rebooking meant first didn't exist on the DTW-TVC leg. Same situation as you but reversed, pretty much.

I called DL, waited 30 minutes on hold, and the agent issued a refund straight away. It was applied to my CC 2 days later.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I have a few e-credits from before COVID-19 that expire between July and November 2019 -- am I right that Delta isn't extending any of these?
Old May 15, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SunChips
I have a few e-credits from before COVID-19 that expire between July and November 2019 -- am I right that Delta isn't extending any of these?
That expire in 2019? Why would they extend those??
Old May 15, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I have two refunds from the first and second weeks of March that still haven't been processed. I contacted DL yesterday, and after an hour wait for a callback the phone agent was useless- she wouldn't look up the case numbers, just told me 'we have over 500,000 refunds, you just have to wait'. I tried Twitter and after an afternoon of back and forth was told it would be at least another week. The odd thing is that I had numerous other tickets refunded with refund requests placed weeks later. Hopefully not a bad sign...

Originally Posted by shoodawg
As of tonight, Delta Refunds Dept are processing refunds from last week in March.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
So if we need to cancel award flights, get miles re-deposited and the fees waived for that, that cannot be done through their web portal? Just before I hit the "cancel flight" button on that page. Thanks.

Nevermind. But for further people in my same situation, the DL website handled the cancellation easy peezy. No fees and all miles re-deposited fee free. Man this sucks.

Last edited by jtrue28; May 15, 2020 at 8:44 am
Old May 15, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bcliu430
Do you get everything back to your cc or do you get a new gc?
I received the CC portion back to card and they issued me a new GC for the $100 that I paid with GC.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM
As a datapoint follow up to my post regarding a refund for a June trip I cancelled this past Wednesday 5/13, the refund appeared on my AMEX this morning Friday 5/15.

As many have said, when an agent “manually” processes the refunds it is this quick. If they “run it through the form” it gets backed up for weeks on end (had that issue a little over a month ago).

It sounds like when people are now calling in to request the refunds the majority of the agents are manually processing them... assuming it’s a relatively standard (easy) refund. If there’s complications it might require someone in refunds to address it (hence the backup). I am wondering if more agents are now trained/comfortable doing the manual processing? Or if the latest DOT notice caused DL to direct the agents to process manually when able?
Old May 15, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I have two refunds from the first and second weeks of March that still haven't been processed. I contacted DL yesterday, and after an hour wait for a callback the phone agent was useless- she wouldn't look up the case numbers, just told me 'we have over 500,000 refunds, you just have to wait'. I tried Twitter and after an afternoon of back and forth was told it would be at least another week. The odd thing is that I had numerous other tickets refunded with refund requests placed weeks later. Hopefully not a bad sign...
We must have talked to the same lady at some point in the game. I'll give it that Delta is probably doing the best that they can, but the frustrating part is that there is no way to know exactly where your case stands in their queue. I'm guessing that there are different queues based on the difficulty of the refund and whether it requires manual handling, but within each queue, i'm sure they keep metrics as to number of refunds handled daily. If they did a simple R(refunds per business day average) and if you are X in queue that X/R is an estimated number of business days you'll be waiting for a refund. It would allow for that number to float if they end up slowing down or speeding up and probably saves fielding calls from people desperately waiting on their refunds.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Refund Timeline datapoint

Adding a refund timeliness datapoint:

Requested redeposit/refund for an award ticket's taxes on 17 April 2020.

The $11.20 refund posted to my AMEX on 14 May 2020.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.