Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Looking for some guidance here. Spouse and I were supposed to fly MSP-ATL-MAD on May 7, returning May 24 LIS-BOS-MSP. Today I see the trip is gone from my trips and I have a credit that has no amount but matches my ticket # in my wallet. Quick dummy booking and the int'l legs are no longer scheduled, so I assume they're cancelled. But as yet, no email or other confirmation from DL.

I was going to cancel eventually for obvious reasons but waited because I want the refund, not a credit (don't worry Delta, you'll get the trip eventually!). I am wondering if it is time to call for a refund due to cancellation or whether this is some DL IT glitch and the flights will reappear. Has anyone seen this process before?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Just a data point. Early reward May flight from USVI to SEA via NYC. Cancelled late March. Instant redeposit and refund. No fees.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:41 am

Delta's waiver now extended to include June 2020

U.S. Domestic Travel Scheduled to Depart in March, April, May or June 2020
  • For travel within the United States originally scheduled to depart through June 30, 2020, all change fees are waived. 
  • You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before June 30, 2020, with no difference in fare applied. 
  • For trips rebooked to the same destination for travel departing July 1, 2020 – May 31, 2022, a difference in fare will apply. 
  • We understand you might not know where you want to go. If you’d like to change your destination, or if you don’t know when you want to travel, you may cancel without a fee and use your credit to book a new flight at a later date.  
  • Travel to and from the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico will qualify for the international ticket flexibility policy. 
  • For the best experience, please go to My Trips to adjust your plans before your original travel date. Your new travel must be completed by May 31, 2022.  
All U.S. Domestic Travel: No Change Fees for Customers Scheduled to Travel March 1 – June 30, 2020 
  • Eligible Customers: All Tickets Originally Issued on or before April 14, 2020 
  • Impacted Travel Date(s): March 1, 2020 – June 30, 2020 
  • New Ticket Must Be Re-issued On/Before: May 31, 2022 
  • Rebooked Travel Must Be Completed No Later Than:  May 31, 2022 
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Does it appear that flights will continue from Mexico to the US via Delta? I have a R/T booked next month. I'm hoping that neither Mexico nor the US bank flights.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
On Friday, 4/3 I canceled 2 tickets on the same reservation worth approx a little over $2K total and requested a refund as well as reopening the GUCs that were applied. The GUCs were back in my account within a few hours. The refund still shows Pending. In the meantime I have already paid off my credit card bill last week.

Yesterday I canceled 2 award tickets where the taxes were approx. $45 each. The miles were returned to my account immediately and the online status shows that the refund has been processed.

I am assuming that Delta is holding on the higher ticket amounts to maintain cash flow and yesterday's agent suggested that it can take up to 21 days. Thoughts on initiating a chargeback? Any chance I could end up on a blacklist if I do that.
I don't know about that. I think it's far easier to get a refund on a cancelled award since award redeposit happens so frequently. Whereas refund of a non-refundable ticket goes through a different system... My cancelled awards have always been refunded very quickly and I'm still waiting on a $118 refund (paid by GC) from 3/19.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tearex
I don't know about that. I think it's far easier to get a refund on a cancelled award since award redeposit happens so frequently. Whereas refund of a non-refundable ticket goes through a different system... My cancelled awards have always been refunded very quickly and I'm still waiting on a $118 refund (paid by GC) from 3/19.
Thanks. That does make sense. I guess I'll wait for the prescribed 21 days. If it looks like its not even going to hit my next statement then I will initiate the chargeback.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Just wanted to post an update/datapoint regarding my quest for a refund. More specific details about the itinerary are mentioned in previous posts, but here are the basics: On 3/29 I called in to cancel a reservation for a trip in late April for 2 people (myself and spouse). The reservation was refund eligible due to a flight cancellation and significant schedule change as a result of the April cuts. The agent easily processed the refund request without pushback. I received an email containing a case number and Refund Request ID. It did mention it could take 7-21 business days.

For 2 weeks nothing happened. Then, last night (day 14), I received an email from Delta with the subject "Your Refund Confirmation in Enclosed." Yay! It stated my ticket was to refunded in full with no penalty back to my Amex. However, I noticed the refund amount was for only 1 ticket (not both) and the specific e-ticket number mentioned was mine. Nothing about my husband. Hmm.

I had him check his email and nothing.

I logged on to Delta.com and checked my SkyMiles account. In the receipts section there was a receipt, dated yesterday, for the refund. In My Wallet the mysterious e-credit that had appeared a week or so ago for the refunded trip was gone. That is correct as since it has been refunded there is no reason to have an e-credit. We then logged into my husband's account on delta.com. There was no receipt regarding a refund, and in his My Wallet there was still a mysterious e-credit for the trip. Basically, his ticket has not yet been refunded.

Checked my Amex today and nothing has posted yet. I figured I will wait until my ticket refunds to my card before calling DL. That will give the system a little more time to process the refund for my husband's ticket. It's very strange they were not processed at the same time as we were both on a single PNR and single Refund Request ID.
Posting an update to my situation and hopefully will help others as another datapoint:

This morning my Amex reflected the refund from DL for my ticket only. Still nothing regarding my husband's ticket. Checked his Skymiles Wallet and the credit is still sitting there. Since I had some time to burn I decided to call the DL Refunds number at the bottom of my refund confirmation email.

It was a brief automated system where I input my husband's e-ticket number. The system stated the refund had not yet been processed, but as it had been more than 7 days, would I like to speak to a representative? I responded yes, and was then asked to input my Skymiles number. I put mine in as I'm PM not knowing if it would make a difference in the wait times for a refund agent or not.

Within about one minute an agent answered "Platinum Desk Refunds, how may I help?" She was super friendly and I provided her the basics of the situation: one ticket had refunded properly to my card while the other was still showing as a credit. Both were on the same PNR and Refund Request ID. After providing her a few numbers she put me on hold. About two minutes later she came back on saying everything was taken care of. She was not sure why the system refunded my ticket, but elected to keep my husband's as a credit. She manually refunded his back to my Amex (original form of payment). Since then he has received an email stating the refund was confirmed, a receipt for it shows in his My Receipts, and the e-credit from the trip is now gone from the Wallet. Based on the timing of when I received my refund confirmation email I should see his refund post to my Amex in about 2 days.

So all in all it was more involved than it needed to be, but I have been happy with all of my interactions with DL. The agents have been very friendly and helpful despite everything going on. I'll post again once the refund for his ticket shows up, but based on my interactions today I feel that it will.

I do agree with another poster who said some agents are manually issuing refunds while others are running it through a form in the system. If you are lucky to get an agent that will do it manually that is the way to go. Perhaps mine did it today only because the system partially messed it up over the last two weeks.

Now if I can only get TicketMaster to refund my event tickets has well. Approaching 30 days since the event was cancelled and still no refund...
tearex likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Diamond desk was unable to see any of my unused etickets today. Is there any known way of getting this information if the phone agents can't see it?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:46 pm

If I have an already purchased refundable fare for a flight in October, can I change that now to a different flight and still qualify for the no fee change fares they have going right now?

I haven’t nailed down my October travel dates gets but I would like to book it now before fares jump more than they already have. I’m 90% certain, but if this qualifies for free changes on a non-refundable fare then I’ll jump on it now.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tearex
I guess it's a toss-up - I had push back in changing a flight after a Schedule Change put me on an earlier flight than I wanted and wanted to change to a later co-term flight. Plus initial response took 2 days and I never heard back after I challenged them. I'm generally willing to use Twitter if it's not urgent, but right now anything that involves more than a simple transaction I prefer calling if possible.
I assume it was a substantial schedule change?

Same here regarding Twitter. In the last 6-8 months pre-covid my Twitter interactions have become less and less helpful with longer response times.
Maybe a month ago when things were ramping up, I sent a couple non-urgent request to Twitter and they fell into a black hole. But it's been better recently IME. It could vary by status and also just what's going on each day?

Originally Posted by angra
Diamond desk was unable to see any of my unused etickets today. Is there any known way of getting this information if the phone agents can't see it?
I've been tagging my itinerary emails for ecredits because I've been told the 006 ticket number is the canonical way to refer to them. Which obv doesn't help you if you've lost track of them and wanted to look one up, but...
angra likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by Zorak

I've been tagging my itinerary emails for ecredits because I've been told the 006 ticket number is the canonical way to refer to them. Which obv doesn't help you if you've lost track of them and wanted to look one up, but...
Good advice for the future, regardless. Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Now if I can only get TicketMaster to refund my event tickets has well. Approaching 30 days since the event was cancelled and still no refund...
Chargeback. They took six months to refund after 9/11 and provided only a partial refund even then.
ryandc99 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Thank you both. I went on the Delta website from my computer and found them. I appreciate the help!

Were you able to use these? I am trying to use my eCredit and somehow it will not let me select it....odd! I can see UNUSED eTICKET and I see the value. It won't seem to let me select it from some reason. Trying not to call.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Klarity7
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

Were you able to use these? I am trying to use my eCredit and somehow it will not let me select it....odd! I can see UNUSED eTICKET and I see the value. It won't seem to let me select it from some reason. Trying not to call.
Up thread one FTer suspected that that ecredit is only a "place-holder" for a ticket to be refunded to a cc.
I'm in the same boat, I cancelled a ticket and received an email from DL that I will get a full refund to my cc. The amount of the refund I'm expecting is exactly the same as the ecredit in my acct.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Quick question as I haven't been following this thread from the beginning & 62 pages of posts feels daunting. I'm not trying to get out of doing the work here, but I know how much things have probably changed since the first post until now. If somebody could please point me in the right direction, I'd be very much obliged.

I have a flight scheduled BNA - DTW - DEN for me & my other half on May 30. We're not going, but I haven't cancelled yet as that first flurry of emails from Delta seemed to almost beg people to wait until closer to their flight to cancel.

Our flight is clearly within the cancellation dates on the waiver. The flight times/equipment have been juggled so that now the second leg to Denver departs 10 minutes after the first flight is due to arrive in Detroit. It's not even showing as a flight to Denver now. It shows up on the app as a flight to Detroit with another flight after that on the same day. What's the best way to cancel our flights? Can it be done online or should I call Delta?

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.