Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:57 pm

So did they happen to provide any update on how this flight is handling the lockdown in EZE. Im booked on June 19th and as of right now the countries in a lock down for a while. I have been trying to figure out if they will cancel the flight or not. Im still trying to figure out how the mandatory quarantine they implemented in Argentina is going to impact things. Im not there for 14 days and really dont want to spend my entire in the hotel room lol
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AntonS
I have award ticket for a friend on EZE-ATL in May. The flight got zeroed out for sale a couple of days ago and I thought the flight maybe cancelled. I checked that EZE-ATL is available for sale now only 4 days a week in May and the days are consistent on different weeks, so they probably changed it from daily to 4-weekly.

I wanted to be proactive and rebook for a day earlier / later when flight still seems to be operating. I spoke to 2 different DM agents and 1 supervisor. They all agreed the flight would likely be cancelled, but they can not do even exchange for another date until it's officially cancelled. The best they could offer was to collect additional 100K miles to fly day earlier. Really?

Should we wait a few more days for flight to be officially cancelled?

It's the first time in last two years I am really disappointed with Delta.
I would wait it out. As I am EZE based and there is a very good chance the quarantine here will last until the end of May. They keep adding two more weeks to it but they are doing that psychologically for people lol. I know UA is supposed to start 3 weekly on May 5th but I don’t think May will happen as far as Argentina opening up the border. Thinking June is the safer bet.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Steven Citrin
So did they happen to provide any update on how this flight is handling the lockdown in EZE. Im booked on June 19th and as of right now the countries in a lock down for a while. I have been trying to figure out if they will cancel the flight or not. Im still trying to figure out how the mandatory quarantine they implemented in Argentina is going to impact things. Im not there for 14 days and really dont want to spend my entire in the hotel room lol
As of now no foreigners can enter into Argentina as of now until April 26th. They started lockdown here March 20th i believe and I think they are looking to target 2 months so your flight may be good now as far as quarantine I don’t know if they will still have mandatory 14 day quarantine once things gradually open up. Remember South America is behind the USA as far as peaking so with all of this it will be fluid but would be surprised to see the border open before June
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I think you have to do it on a computer. Go to your profile and then your wallet under "Certificates and Credits" (I think.)
Originally Posted by aww3583
This is best done from a desktop or non-mobile site.

I have a half-dozen credits that aren't visible via the iPhone app. When the COVID-19 issues started, I couldn't view any of my credits, but the Delta Twitter team confirmed they were all still present.
Thank you both. I went on the Delta website from my computer and found them. I appreciate the help!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tearex
I see where you are using Twitter - try calling for refund, especially if there is a schedule change more than 90 min departing/arrival or change from nonstop to connecting. Twitter response has been very slow/inflexible recently.
FWIW the most recent Schedule Change Saturday gave me an impossible connection (2nd flight leaving hours before the 1st flight arrives). I contacted them on Twitter yesterday and specifically requested a refund due to the misconnect and got no pushback. There were two back-and-forths for authentication/verification each taking ~20-30 minutes for a response. They did say the actual processing could take longer due to volume right now etc.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by tearex
The miles should deposit back into your account - however, it's unclear if you will be subject to the $150 award redeposit fee.

For clarification, is the JFK-CDG segment now missing in the itinerary (leaving behind just CDG-JFK)?

For your specific inquiries:
1. Unclear, but historically it looks like DL 9180/AF 23 departs at 5:50pm. Even if they rescheduled you to the 7:30pm departure, it's more than 90mins so I believe you should be able to get a refund. The only other options are see are connecting flights with >90 min departure/arrival... which are also both reasons for refund.
2. Call DL, they may just fill out the refund form for you.

FYI, even if you click to 'accept' a schedule change or modify to a different flight, it is still possible to get a refund if you call and can explain your case. I have had this experience before - complex itin with cancelled first segment - misclicked on a flight modification that ended up splitting my ticket nonsensically, and agent applied for a refund for me.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions. I still see the outbound flight, but the seats etc. are missing, which is what made me look for it on Flight Aware. Since I am out of my depth on DL (I am -- or was -- an AA captive), I have been (or had been) reticent to click around too much. Anyhow, I am going to take your advice and call. If I can get the refund, great. If not (a) they did already cut me some slack when they didn't have to; and (b) everyone's got problems these days.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Hotel vouchers for Coronavirus schedule change

Hey, I'm mid trip right now. Supposed to return tomorrow. Just got notice that my flight tomorrow was cancelled and moved to Wednesday.

This means I need to spent an unplanned night away from home.

I called Delta and asked if they could put me in a hotel for the extra day. They said no, they wouldn't, because this was "advanced notice" -- vouchers are only given for cancellations that happen at the airport (huh?).

The way I see it, I left home planning to be a way for X # of days. A day before I was due to return, I get a notice from DL saying my trip has been extended, but I have to pay. This seems like the OPPOSITE of advanced notice...

I know these are crazy times, but does the duty of care cease to exist? Seems crazy to me that they are forcing a pax to pay for an additional night because DL cancelled at the last minute...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
It would help if you posted what cities/routes but... no. I don't think Delta owes you for a hotel room in this situation -- there are extraordinary circumstances and Delta's job is to get you from point A to point B.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you are traveling now, it is at your own risk. If you are traveling on company business, your company should cover you. If you are not, then you are on your own. Stay at home!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I doubt anyone at DL over the phone would be willing to issue a voucher in this scenario. Perhaps if you visited the airport desk and played dumb to the cancellation? You might get lucky and get a voucher. Regardless, take the steps necessary to secure lodging for the unplanned overnight and you can always submit a reimbursement request afterwards. You might not get anything, but it can’t hurt to try.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
My flights changed today and one segment cancelled. I requested a refund and they said it was going to be 21 days. I do think that is crazy. If I book a ticket it takes about 5 seconds to charge my cc. 21 days for a refund is not good. I asked why it would take 21 days. They said Delta was backed up. Does not take long to refund a credit card.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita
My flights changed today and one segment cancelled. I requested a refund and they said it was going to be 21 days. I do think that is crazy. If I book a ticket it takes about 5 seconds to charge my cc. 21 days for a refund is not good. I asked why it would take 21 days. They said Delta was backed up. Does not take long to refund a credit card.
Data point. I canceled some flights on Saturday morning and got the notice from Amex this morning that they had been refunded.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Dates on my vouchers have still not been extended.
ISTR Delta saying something about when the new dates will be shown. They have more urgent issues than fixing visible expiration dates.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Hi. Did they tell you 21 days?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:17 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If you are traveling now, it is at your own risk. If you are traveling on company business, your company should cover you. If you are not, then you are on your own. Stay at home!
Hmm... I disagree with that. There are still people who need to travel and its none of our business what those reasons are. The airlines are still selling tickets and flying so I don't think it's "We will sell you a ticket but if anything happens you're on your own".

However, I don't think the OP is due any hotel voucher. If traveling for company business they maybe should cover a hotel, but otherwise you just may need to just pay for a hotel. If the ticket was purchased using a credit card with travel insurance you maybe could get reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.