Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Dates on my vouchers have still not been extended.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I hope they do- have several trips I need to change/cancel in June due to Coronavirus

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I wonder if they will follow the other large carriers and extend the COVID waiver till June 30?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Bump up, please.Any insights?

Originally Posted by cagcag
I am holding an award ticket:
PHL-BOS-AMS-IST scheduled for last week of May 2020. Appears that KL flight from AMS to IST will be canceled, although not officially not off schedule.
For this one way travel I paid 15K points plus taxes.
I will most likely attempt this same itinerary later in 2020.
If ultimately cancelled, what options might I be offered by DL?
At that price I would NOT like a redeposit of miles, but instead a date reschedule. The problem is that I am unable to find the same itinerary at the same 15K miles for ANY date in 2020. Would I be accommodated on another itinerary in economy at the original pricing? I have no status with DL.
Thanks.

Last edited by cagcag; Apr 12, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:03 pm

Would this qualify for Delta’s more generous change policy?

So on Delta’s site it says this...

Delta is waiving all change fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. This applies to all domestic and international travel departing in March, April or May 2020, as well as all tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020.”

I have a refundable fare I purchased a couple months ago for a departure in October of this year. I was playing the Amex travel credit game so it’s not a date I want to refund (I would lose the credits etc). BUT, I fully plan on changing the flight since my dates aren’t nailed down yet.

I plan to change to a non-refundable first class fare but I’m not sure I’ll know my exact dates until June/July, though I’m worried prices will increase if they reduce available number of F seats (if they’re still trying to social distance) or if they start selling (because of reduced frequency of flights.)

Do you know if I CHANGE a flight right now, would the new ticket have the expanded no fee change policy?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Bumping this up to see if this is the best way to go about getting a refund back to my credit card, or is calling a better option? I have some May flights that look like they will be cancelled after the dust settles from today's schedule changes.
You can call, but they generally just fill out the form for you.

EDIT: To add, calling is helpful when the schedule changes become more complex, or if there are problems with country entry requirements, etc.

Last edited by tearex; Apr 13, 2020 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by treepuppy
In my case, and probably others, I can not take the flight not because I don't want to.. I want to take the flight that I booked in early March. The issue is that it is physically impossible to get to the location as there are no flights there.. and another problem is entry is also banned now in Japan.. there's no way to enter and transit hotels at the airport are closed.. so there's no where to sleep even if there were flights to get there in the first place from here. It's a really crap situation, and seems like a situation where Delta and other airlines should be more flexible in giving refunds.

It's good to hear the e-credit can be used to book multiple flights, though it would also be more helpful to get the refund, so I can actually use those funds to book a flight that would work given the situation.
For the ecredit question, the 'official' documentation is here, bolding where applicable to you based on your previous posts: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...e-requirements

Delta is waiving all change fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. This applies to all domestic and international travel departing in March, April or May 2020, as well as all tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020. If your travel is eligible for a waiver, you can move your travel dates and even select a new destination. Your unused ticket will be applied toward your new flight, and in some instances a fare difference will apply. If the new fare is lower, you will receive an eCredit for the difference. If the new fare is higher, the difference will be collected.
I see where you are using Twitter - try calling for refund, especially if there is a schedule change more than 90 min departing/arrival or change from nonstop to connecting. Twitter response has been very slow/inflexible recently.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by swm 1
I want to make a Delta SkyMiles Reservation for June 20th if I need to cancel it will my Skymile points go back in my account . if I cancel due to Corona
The miles should deposit back into your account - however, it's unclear if you will be subject to the $150 award redeposit fee.

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
In February made reservations for early-March flights JFK-CDG-JFK for first week in March for son and his GF.

Night before trip was able to cancel and reschedule flights for early May, with no change fee. At that time, was a nice gesture by DL.

Just got on DL site to look at the May tickets. The leg JFK-CDG would seem to have been canceled, although that is not what the site says. (The flight is/was DL 9180 [AF] departing JFK 2 May.). What I read is:

So I clicked on 'Accept' and got sent back to the same page. I guess I'm supposed to be clicking on 'Modify Flight'?

My preference, if the flight has indeed been canceled, is to receive a refund. My questions are:
  1. Does the fact that this is an already-moved ticket make it impossible to receive a refund?
  2. [If it is still possible to receive a refund given that DL/AF have canceled the flight], what do I click to avoid accepting an eCredit instead?
For clarification, is the JFK-CDG segment now missing in the itinerary (leaving behind just CDG-JFK)?

For your specific inquiries:
1. Unclear, but historically it looks like DL 9180/AF 23 departs at 5:50pm. Even if they rescheduled you to the 7:30pm departure, it's more than 90mins so I believe you should be able to get a refund. The only other options are see are connecting flights with >90 min departure/arrival... which are also both reasons for refund.
2. Call DL, they may just fill out the refund form for you.

FYI, even if you click to 'accept' a schedule change or modify to a different flight, it is still possible to get a refund if you call and can explain your case. I have had this experience before - complex itin with cancelled first segment - misclicked on a flight modification that ended up splitting my ticket nonsensically, and agent applied for a refund for me.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:09 am

Thumbs down Flight zeroed out (prob. cancelled), but Delta refuses to change without add-collect

I have award ticket for a friend on EZE-ATL in May. The flight got zeroed out for sale a couple of days ago and I thought the flight maybe cancelled. I checked that EZE-ATL is available for sale now only 4 days a week in May and the days are consistent on different weeks, so they probably changed it from daily to 4-weekly.

I wanted to be proactive and rebook for a day earlier / later when flight still seems to be operating. I spoke to 2 different DM agents and 1 supervisor. They all agreed the flight would likely be cancelled, but they can not do even exchange for another date until it's officially cancelled. The best they could offer was to collect additional 100K miles to fly day earlier. Really?

Should we wait a few more days for flight to be officially cancelled?

It's the first time in last two years I am really disappointed with Delta.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
It’s absolutely frustrating, but it’ll get axed out of the system soon enough. DL is working through so many schedule changes right now that the system is in a massive state of upheaval. Even in normal times with schedule changes, it can take >24 hours for things to straighten out after a change.

Give them another day or two, it’ll be cleared out in the system, and then you’ll have carte blanche to change your itinerary to whatever best works for you.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
This from delta.com seems reasonably clear that you can rebook without an additional collect:

International Travel Scheduled to Depart in March, April, or May 2020
  • For international travel originally scheduled to depart through May 31, 2020, all change fees are waived.
  • You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before May 31, 2020, with no difference in fare applied.
mattp1987 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to call at all. The rebooking tool is live and instructions are on the DL website:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ge-your-flight
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Where is my Delta credit?

I feel like an idiot but I can't find my Delta credit in the Delta My Wallet.

I have repeatedly booked and changed a single Delta flight - this is the third time. At this point, the Delta rep told me I have a $78 credit, which she said appears in My Wallet so I can keep track of it.

However, please see the screenshot of my Delta iPhone app My Wallet tab - I don't see my credit. What's there are the previous times I booked and changed this single flight. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:23 pm

OP here. Finally got a reasonable agent who did even exchange. Should not take 3 calls.
DiverDave and crfgon like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:26 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think you have to do it on a computer. Go to your profile and then your wallet under "Certificates and Credits" (I think.)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
This is best done from a desktop or non-mobile site.

I have a half-dozen credits that aren't visible via the iPhone app. When the COVID-19 issues started, I couldn't view any of my credits, but the Delta Twitter team confirmed they were all still present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.