Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
I called to cancel two international flights today as a result of two conference cancelled due to the pandemic.
I got a reference number for one trip, but not the other. Should I get a reference number for both or does a reference number simply mean that ticket is undergoing further review?
BTW, I got two emails about the one case with a reference number telling me the refund could take 7 to 21 business days.
I decided to call back and boy am I glad I did. The new agent said the first refund progress has not been properly submitted so now I have a reference or tracking number for that trip.
More disturbing was a critical error made on the second request which would have given my money to my office since they were going to put it back on my office card. Ugh!
I suppose I will call back tomorrow morning to see what a different agent tells me.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
I decided to call back and boy am I glad I did. The new agent said the first refund progress has not been properly submitted so now I have a reference or tracking number for that trip.
More disturbing was a critical error made on the second request which would have given my money to my office since they were going to put it back on my office card. Ugh!
I suppose I will call back tomorrow morning to see what a different agent tells me.
Tickets are always refunded to the original form of payment. That is the only way the airlines will refund. That is mostly to prevent fraud. If they told you they were refunding to a different card, it will probably get flagged.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Tickets are always refunded to the original form of payment. That is the only way the airlines will refund. That is mostly to prevent fraud. If they told you they were refunding to a different card, it will probably get flagged.
Yes, of course. I know we are not inclined to plow through previous posts to get details.
In this case, the underlying ticket (set to expire in July) that paid almost all of the ticket was my personal CC. The smaller, but more recent additional money came from my office CC.
The first agent this morning assured me the refund minus the fee would return to my CC. Otherwise, I would have gone for an e-credit.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:44 pm

You get an e-credit from a cancelled ticket? Can it be used for multiple new flights within the next two years, or the e-credit card only be used on one ticket? Can't find a definite answer? Just trying to figure out if I should cancel this $800 flight I can't use. I'm also thinking whether it would help to file a complaint with DoT or file a chargeback with my credit card company? Any suggestions?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
If Delta actually cancelled the flight and it is not operating or there is no reasonable alternative within 90 minutes, you can get a refund. If you just decide not to travel, but the flight is still operating, then you will only get an ecredit. Credits can be used in increments to buy multiple tickets in the original passengers name. I think you can only initiate a credit card charge back if the original charge is within 60 or 90 days (not sure which)
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

I helped my buddy Bill in March to cancel a DL ticket YUL--MSP & return. Bought in December to fly in May. The DL Website page warned of the $200 change fee, but the e-credit is for the full amount. We got an email with a ticket number, which Bill must enter into the purchase page, because it won't store itself in his SkyMiles account. The original expiry date (31 Dec. 2020) has been overruled to 31 May 2022.
Too bad it's non-transferable-- valid only for tickets for Bill!
TreePuppy, it's valid for several tickets until it's all used up.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:23 am

Angry

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If Delta actually cancelled the flight and it is not operating or there is no reasonable alternative within 90 minutes, you can get a refund. If you just decide not to travel, but the flight is still operating, then you will only get an ecredit. Credits can be used in increments to buy multiple tickets in the original passengers name. I think you can only initiate a credit card charge back if the original charge is within 60 or 90 days (not sure which)
In my case, and probably others, I can not take the flight not because I don't want to.. I want to take the flight that I booked in early March. The issue is that it is physically impossible to get to the location as there are no flights there.. and another problem is entry is also banned now in Japan.. there's no way to enter and transit hotels at the airport are closed.. so there's no where to sleep even if there were flights to get there in the first place from here. It's a really crap situation, and seems like a situation where Delta and other airlines should be more flexible in giving refunds.

It's good to hear the e-credit can be used to book multiple flights, though it would also be more helpful to get the refund, so I can actually use those funds to book a flight that would work given the situation.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:43 am

Thank you , I will take care of that !
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
How long is it taking for credit card refunds to process these days? UA seems a bit faster than DL in this regard....been over a week in "pending" status
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by Dantrav
What is the best way to request the refund on flights they cancel and rebook with greater than 90 minute changes? I came across this link which took you to a page to request it but didnt know if I should go this route or call etc..

https://www.delta.com/contactus/iropForm

Bumping this up to see if this is the best way to go about getting a refund back to my credit card, or is calling a better option? I have some May flights that look like they will be cancelled after the dust settles from today's schedule changes.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
On the AC situation, Mr. Tickets should ask a lawyer about the common-law doctrine of Impossibility, which I learned about in a Law for Laymen class in college. It states that if the sold item is damaged, destroyed, or ceases to exist, the contract is void and the buyer is off the hook if s/he has not paid the seller, or the seller must refund any money already paid by the buyer. Example: You agree to buy a car, but on your way to pick it up, it burns up or is wrecked. If the seller doesn't have another car acceptable to you, s/he must give you your money back.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:15 pm

Yes, of course. I know we are not inclined to plow through previous posts to get details.
In this case, the underlying ticket (set to expire in July) that paid almost all of the ticket was my personal CC. The smaller, but more recent additional money came from my office CC.
The first agent this morning assured me the refund minus the fee would return to my CC. Otherwise, I would have gone for an e-credit.
Twitter DL this morning after consulting a 'supervisor' claims refunds will go to both CCs without clarifying the exact amounts and the change fee.
I think tomorrow I will go back to the phone and try to get someone who can see inside the process while it is still active.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:32 am

Schedule Change and Refund Question

First time poster - hope I have posted correctly

I have flights booked with Delta for 2 May that I will be unable to take and have been hoping that they will be cancelled so I can get a refund but know I can get a credit if the flights still operate.
When I booked in Aug 2019 the flights were scheduled to depart Las Vegas (LAS) at 8.00am and arrive in Sarasota (SRQ) at 6.37pm with a connection in Atlanta (ATL).
Since I made the booking I had been notified of some schedule changes and prior to today the service was scheduled to depart LAS at 7.15am with arrival in SRQ at 4.34pm.
At the time I was ok with the schedule changes but did nothing to formally accept or reject them.
Checking my trip today there has been a further change with my arrival in SRQ now 4.25pm which is of course only a minor change from the previous change but is over 2 hours from my original booking.
Can I use this to ask for a full refund or am I deemed to have accepted the earlier schedule changes by default.

Thank you

tomch
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by demkr
How long is it taking for credit card refunds to process these days? UA seems a bit faster than DL in this regard....been over a week in "pending" status
My data point:
I am on day 17 of "pending" with a Delta refund I submitted on 3/26.

With the notice they sent me reading, "We will make every effort to process eligible credits and refunds within 7 days. However, due to extremely high volume related to coronavirus and government-issued travel guidance, please allow up to 21 business days" I will probably give things another week or so before following up.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
I had a (re-planned) trip to Lisbon set for May. I called Delta to re-schedule it for August. They were kind enough to re-price the ticket (versus do an even exchange) and I ended up with $212 on an e-credit. I was able to immediately use that to help fund another trip (Portland, ME for August).

I'm hoping I don't have to re-plan these trips yet again....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.