Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
UA waiver just went out. So both AA & UA include domestic travels, wonder will DL follow up...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
When I go to my trips for a March trip to to CDG, there's a button to modify flights. Clicking through leads to modify or cancel. Cancel says request refund. Does that mean full refund to original payment method? Is there any reason I'd choose modify?

https://news.delta.com/updated-delta...id-19-outbreak links to https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...irus-situation for rescheduling options, but the linked page is not found.
I don't think any of the waivers includes a refund provision. Of course, if your flight is cancelled, then you can request a refund.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I don't think any of the waivers includes a refund provision. Of course, if your flight is cancelled, then you can request a refund.
"If your travel plans have been affected, go to the My Trips section of delta.com to review and understand your options. These may include rebooking on alternate Delta flights, rebooking on flights after April 30, rebooking on alternate or partner airlines, refunds or contacting us to discuss additional options. Read much more information on rescheduling options here."
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
When I go to my trips for a March trip to to CDG, there's a button to modify flights. Clicking through leads to modify or cancel. Cancel says request refund. Does that mean full refund to original payment method? Is there any reason I'd choose modify?
I have the same question... I have an upcoming award trip in three weeks LAX-LHR and there is a Modify > Cancel button under My Trips. However, I'm not sure if that option has always been there or if it's a new option and whether it is still subject to the $150 cancellation/redeposit fee. I'm too chicken to press the Cancel button and see what happens on the next page.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Just booked a United business trip next week. I hadn't been on their website in so long I had to put in new security questions. Alaska, JetBlue, American and now United all waiving fees for March domestic tickets (some for more than that) while Delta is the hold out. At any rate, I'll enjoy a nonstop Pensacola-Tampa next week.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:10 pm

What I don’t like about this whole deal is supposedly if you upgraded your flights through app or online offer, the upgrade cost paid will be lost if you want to reschedule as part of these waiver deal. That is what the Delta rep told me. The only way you will not lose that upgrade money is if DL cancel the flight. You flat out pay for the upgrade with your own cash but DL would not consider it as part of credit or trip reschedule...they would only honor what you booked originally. :/
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by The Situation
Why? Health experts and local government agencies say the risk is extremely low unless you are elderly and/or have certain pre-existing conditions such as asthma, obesity or heart disease. Data is supporting that. Local health experts now realize that the virus has been circulating in SEA since January, but it wasn't a big deal until it reached a vulnerable population in a nursing home, because almost all cases are extremely mild. Unless you are a member of a vulnerable population, there is no reason to fall into or feed the hysteria. There is no waiver for the flu, and that has killed 18,000 this season. Coronavirus has killed 9 in the U.S., all associated with the nursing home.
Yes, but there is such a thing as social responsibility. Not everyone is selfish and self centered. Most (I hope) also care about the society around them and are mindful of others. By getting infected, one - most likely unknowingly - passes it on to others, and sooner or later someone who gets it, directly or a few steps down, is going to have a severe case, or even worse. Esp. here in the US where it's not part of the culture to wear a face mask, as is the case, say, in Japan for anyone who is sick with the flu, cold or what not (but yes, even that didn't stop the spread there, given the pig-headed government handling of the situation and testing, or rather lack thereof; still, without it it'd have been exponentially worse there).
vcapp likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Justin026
Just booked a United business trip next week. I hadn't been on their website in so long I had to put in new security questions. Alaska, JetBlue, American and now United all waiving fees for March domestic tickets (some for more than that) while Delta is the hold out.
Quite possibly due to Seattle and DL having so many flights going to/from SEA and connecting there. DL has more to lose, as a DL hub is in the current US COVID-19 hotspot. So, as always, DL puts itself first and....well, who cares about the customers, right?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:00 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just spoke with the diamond line and told them my corporate policy on domestic travel has changed and needed to cancel a few march tickets and would appreciate not paying the change fee.

No questions whatsoever, and within 2 minutes I was done and it was documented in the PNR. This is the same experience another diamond and gold member in my office had today.

While there isn't a formal policy yet, I do believe that the agents have been instructed to be flexible. When things return to normal, its the medallion members who will be filling the seats that they need to win over the most.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I just spoke with the diamond line and told them my corporate policy on domestic travel has changed and needed to cancel a few march tickets and would appreciate not paying the change fee.

No questions whatsoever, and within 2 minutes I was done and it was documented in the PNR. This is the same experience another diamond and gold member in my office had today.

While there isn't a formal policy yet, I do believe that the agents have been instructed to be flexible. When things return to normal, its the medallion members who will be filling the seats that they need to win over the most.
My experience also, weeks earlier, has been that DL agents are very understanding and accommodating on this. Was able to get rebooked on flights that break routing rules (avoiding MU flights, given limited other availability) and where DL had to force an even exchange, and even change the origin airport as there was nothing available out of there, to the nearest other major airport. It took a while (nearly an hour, as is just a bit above the typical for DL flight change time of 30~45 minutes IME) and a few levels of internal escalation, but it was done. In the end ended up being a moot point as I had to cancel the flights anyway (avoiding one hot spot then ended up hitting another hot spot of now), but I much appreciated DL help on that, and another similar case.

DL does indeed seems to have loosened the chains from its agents and given them (well, the few empowered escalation levels, at least) more discretion and leeway than before. Smart move, as once this is all over there will be a lot of pent up demand for travel, and it would be foolish to upset customers forced to reschedule or cancel their flights now.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jens_so
Anyone tried to cancel/ change their award ticket within 72 hours under this new rule? My flight will be on Thursday and I am going back and forth on whether I should make it.

Okay.. I just called Delta and they were quite helpful and understandable. So I will get fully refunded for the miles and taxes/fees despite that the award trip is less than 72 hours.

One note is that the customer service representative sounded unfamiliar with the whole situation, I think he's new because the survey question that I got at the end of the call was something like "on a scale from 1 to 5, how likely would you hire this person" so I suspect that Delta is hiring temps because of the increased call volumes?

Good luck everyone!
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jens_so
Okay.. I just called Delta and they were quite helpful and understandable. So I will get fully refunded for the miles and taxes/fees despite that the award trip is less than 72 hours.

One note is that the customer service representative sounded unfamiliar with the whole situation, I think he's new because the survey question that I got at the end of the call was something like "on a scale from 1 to 5, how likely would you hire this person" so I suspect that Delta is hiring temps because of the increased call volumes?

Good luck everyone!
Standard Delta survey question. It's just a creative way of asking if the agent did a good job
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, but there is such a thing as social responsibility. Not everyone is selfish and self centered. Most (I hope) also care about the society around them and are mindful of others. By getting infected, one - most likely unknowingly - passes it on to others, and sooner or later someone who gets it, directly or a few steps down, is going to have a severe case, or even worse.
So your solution is to quarantine every time there's an infectious disease? That would be all the time. Good luck with that. Good news is that in most countries you're free to quarantine yourself if you're that scared of COVID-19, the flu, a common cold, bird flu, stomach bug, etc. IMO that's not very productive for diseases that have extremely low mortality rates, but to each their own.

Back in reality land, the CDC has issued a plea for people to not hoard all the masks and supplies that are needed by those who have highest chance of encountering the virus (i.e. healthcare workers).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Standard Delta survey question. It's just a creative way of asking if the agent did a good job
I've always thought that was a silly question. "Well, no, I wouldn't be likely to hire them because I'm not hiring at the moment!"
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
So your solution is to quarantine every time there's an infectious disease? That would be all the time. Good luck with that. Good news is that in most countries you're free to quarantine yourself if you're that scared of COVID-19, the flu, a common cold, bird flu, stomach bug, etc. IMO that's not very productive for diseases that have extremely low mortality rates, but to each their own.

Back in reality land, the CDC has issued a plea for people to not hoard all the masks and supplies that are needed by those who have highest chance of encountering the virus (i.e. healthcare workers).
The CDC advice is to stay at home if you are sick. If you're someone who should stay at home under CDC advice, it would be good if DL issued a waiver for you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...treatment.html
notquiteaff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.