Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom_MN
Well, other news sources less reliable.

So will have to see if, since Dutch nationals are prohibited entry, whether KLM cancels their Prague flight.
​​​​​​​Czech info sheet
https://www.mvcr.cz/docDetail.aspx?d...94&doctype=ART
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I liked the AA system, you place the itn on HOLD for 24 hrs(+), if you don't make the purchase it is cancelled.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Duke787
CNN is reporting a positive test for an AA pilot. Not surprising and would expect there are more across the US3 flying internationally.

Airlines are going to get killed in the market tomorrow with news like that -- I expect we'll see further domestic cuts in short order (since the airlines don't have the capacity to test every pilot before a flight).

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...3ff82af08fcf51
I wouldnt even be surprised at this point if we see a 9/11 style ban on US Commercial flights in the near future.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Duke787
CNN is reporting a positive test for an AA pilot. Not surprising and would expect there are more across the US3 flying internationally.

Airlines are going to get killed in the market tomorrow with news like that -- I expect we'll see further domestic cuts in short order (since the airlines don't have the capacity to test every pilot before a flight).

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...3ff82af08fcf51
I'm not surprised. The AA unions even went to court in February demanding suspension of flights to China. Looks wise in hindsight now.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
I am a PM. I called around 3pm ET and requested a call back. At 7pm when I still had not been contacted, I called again an just waited on hold...I was connected to an agent after about ~10 minutes. I was calling to see about getting a refund or delta credit for two FCM upgrades I had purchased for a RT departing on Sunday (the original flight and the FCMs were purchased ~two weeks ago). I know these are non-refundable, however I had seen a few posts mentioning some folks had success. My plan was to contact delta first for the FCM refund/credit, and then I would contact Amex GBT (my corporate TA) to cancel the original RT flight and get a credit, as the fare was non-refundable.

My entire call did not last more than two minutes. I politely asked for "if my paid upgrades could be refunded to my cc or to a delta credit, as my company has asked us to be thoughtful about our travel, and since this was not mission critical, I was going to call my corporate Amex travel to cancel and get a credit for the RT when she was done." She responded and said "you should get an email in a few minutes with the refund details, and to call back in 7-10 days if I did not see the refund." I thanked her, ended the call, and waited for the email.

About 10 minutes later the email came in. To my surprise, she refunded both the FCM and the original ticket, each to their respective original forms of payment! Makes my life easier as it's one less thing to expense, and one less ticket credit to keep track of to use for a future trip.

tldr: When you call, don't ask for call back, stay on line. FCM refunded, as was original ticket (without asking) to original forms of payment.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I have an update from one of my earlier posts about KIX-SEA being cancelled. I was going to call Delta back again to sort out that flight once it was confirmed to be cancelled, but never got around to it. They tried calling me twice today, but I wasn't available. They tried a third time and finally got through to me. I got a really nice agent (Ava) and we spent an hour going through the various options to get me back to the US. I'll have to fly with NH from ITM to HND, and from there, I'll fly to ATL with DL when she could have put me on the next DL flight to SEA. I'll get a bit more MQMs like this for no extra cost. I'm a happy customer!
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
El Salvador is banning foreign nationals (waiver posted).

Argentina suspending US flights (no waiver yet).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Benchwarmer
I cancelled a nonrefundable ticket this morning online. The $200 change/cancellation fee was deducted, and I received an e-credit in my wallet for the ticket price minus the $200. I called DL, and the call center has now assured me that when I use the e-credit, the $200 will be added to it. I'm assuming this means I'll have to re-book using the call center rather than online, but it makes me nervous that the e-credit is $200 short. Has anyone else experienced this same scenario?
+1 this is exactly what happened to me. They said you have to call to get the full value out of it.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
How are some EU flights still operating tomorrow? MCO-AMS has been canceled as expected but not ATL, DTW, JFK, BOS... How is DL getting away with this? And why? I find it hard to believe they need their usual full capacity of flights.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had a Delta Vacation package (Air + Hotel) JFK-ZRH-JFK for 4/7-4/14. I called DL Vacations (the scheduled return call for 45 minutes came at 45 minutes). I'm to receive a DL Vacation voucher in a few days, NO fees deducted.
DL Vacations has a 'strange' system, even though I bought a package, normally non-refundable hotels are non-refundable even if DL cancelled all of my flights, but due to VIRUS waver I got the entire package credited.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
How are some EU flights still operating tomorrow? MCO-AMS has been canceled as expected but not ATL, DTW, JFK, BOS... How is DL getting away with this? And why? I find it hard to believe they need their usual full capacity of flights.
Well for one, Trumps travel restrictions didn’t include a “full ban of flights” to EU Schengen countries, rather a ban of EU citizens from coming to the U.S. DL has released another press release that states other than the flights announced for immediate suspensions earlier today, all other EU flights will operate normally until 3/15 (Sunday) to get US-citizens out of the EU. After 3/15, DL says that there will be major scheduled reductions throughout the EU.

https://news.delta.com/delta-evaluat...avel-directive

Delta will operate a nearly full schedule of flights from continental Europe to multiple U.S. gateways through Sunday, March 15, to ensure eligible customers can return to the United States as the airline responds to a new U.S. government travel directive.

After Sunday, Delta will fly a significantly reduced U.S.-Europe schedule while monitoring customer demand. Delta will continue to help customers affected by these schedule adjustments, including notifying those whose flights have been impacted by these changes.

Delta’s highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of customers and employees. Delta has expanded its aircraft cleaning processes to include a fogging procedure that disinfects common surface areas with a safe, high-grade EPA-registered disinfectant highly effective against many communicable diseases, including coronaviruses. Following the fogging procedure, cleaning crews thoroughly clean cabin surfaces including tray tables, seatback screens, and lavatories. Watch this video to learn more about our fogging.

Earlier Thursday, the airline announced plans to suspend flights scheduled to operate from Europe to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Orlando, Portland, Raleigh-Durham and Salt Lake City after Friday, March 13, since the directive allows only 11 U.S. airports to serve as points of entry from Europe.

Delta is capping fares for travel to Europe through March 20, and the airline has also waived change fees for customers traveling to, from or through Europe and the U.K. through May 31. Details are available on delta.com.

To help address customers with immediate travel needs, we are asking those who do not have travel in the next 72 hours to wait and contact us closer to your trip.
seawolf and Duke787 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Well for one, Trumps travel restrictions didnt include a full ban of flights to EU Schengen countries, rather a ban of EU citizens from coming to the U.S. DL has released another press release that states other than the flights announced for immediate suspensions earlier today, all other EU flights will operate normally until 3/15 (Sunday) to get US-citizens out of the EU. After 3/15, DL says that there will be major scheduled reductions throughout the EU.

It's actually a ban of anyone coming from the Schengen Area, not only EU citizens, with several exclusions (apart from US Citizens): Permanent Residents, Crew, Diplomats / International Organizations Officials, NATO, so many people traveling on Tourist visas / Visa Waiver through the US will have their travel plans affected.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Well for one, Trumps travel restrictions didnt include a full ban of flights to EU Schengen countries, rather a ban of EU citizens from coming to the U.S. DL has released another press release that states other than the flights announced for immediate suspensions earlier today, all other EU flights will operate normally until 3/15 (Sunday) to get US-citizens out of the EU. After 3/15, DL says that there will be major scheduled reductions throughout the EU.

+1. And they absolutely need their full capacity for the trip back from Europe for the next few days though will undoubtedly operate at a loss on the outbound. The lack of advanced warning has stuck a ton of US citizens in Europe and not all of them will be able to make it on the widely sold out flights tomorrow.

Plus there is no ban on people traveling to Europe, it just presents a problem for those coming home. I imagine a number of Europeans may consider heading back in the next few days rather than being stuck in the US and unable to get back into the EU as the US rapidly approaches being on the receiving end of travel bans from the rest of the world.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Benchwarmer
I cancelled a nonrefundable ticket this morning online. The $200 change/cancellation fee was deducted, and I received an e-credit in my wallet for the ticket price minus the $200. I called DL, and the call center has now assured me that when I use the e-credit, the $200 will be added to it. I'm assuming this means I'll have to re-book using the call center rather than online, but it makes me nervous that the e-credit is $200 short. Has anyone else experienced this same scenario?
Same exact situation here. Per the Twitter rep:

I see your travel dates fit within the guidelines for the waiver. Ill go ahead and document your ticket with the waiver. Your wallet wont reflect the documentation, nor will it show the entire credit. Not to worry, your full credit is reflected in our system. When youre ready to travel again, please contact us via Twitter with the ticket number and well get you rebooked.
I also noticed it took an hour or two for the credit to show up in the wallet with its associated value less $200.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:33 pm

Same issue

Same issue here on three different itineraries. When you first hit cancel, you get the "Oh no!" message.

If you go back to my trips and hit "Start flight cancellation" again, you get the "Request refund" message.

After one email exchange with customer service, it APPEARS that if you get the "Request Refund" screen then the itinerary has been cancelled.

But who knows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.