Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ACR2013
Booked an award ticket in the beginning of June. Due to flight cancelations (the reservation was changed for different days, yet those flights were cancelled as well) , DL canceled reservation in the beginning of August. Miles were refunded right away, but the tax part is still not. Called multiple times, got responses from "that department doesn`t know where to put the funds because it was even exchange from the initial charge, and they don`t see the original credit card" to being yelled (literally!). Also a couple of nice reps told me that they asked supervisors to push it for faster refund within 7 days - yet it`s been at least 3 weeks already.
Paid four months ago, Delta cancelled over two months ago. Seems like dead end.
This has happened to me countless times. Miles go back right away and I have to wait for the taxes. I always call and the agent takes care of it. Be persistent and keep calling.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This has happened to me countless times. Miles go back right away and I have to wait for the taxes. I always call and the agent takes care of it. Be persistent and keep calling.
How long did you have to wait? Most reps were escalating this issue to supervisors, I called more than a dozen times, an hour hold on average - sometimes two hours - before getting connected and while the reps were researching - still nothing is solved.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Happened to me for >10 award tickets I cancelled during the last 6 months. The ticket in DL system is technically not cancelled, instead it is “suspended”. It will remain in that limbo forever unless someone takes manual intervention. I’ve also been told to wait for the system to process it eventually. Out of curiosity, I wait once just to see what would happen. Nothing happened after two months. So I called in again and told the agent how to get it done correctly: It has to be done by the Skymiles department. They need to get someone in that department to manually push the tax refund through. It worked every time
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by MonAmQB
Happened to me for >10 award tickets I cancelled during the last 6 months. The ticket in DL system is technically not cancelled, instead it is “suspended”. It will remain in that limbo forever unless someone takes manual intervention. I’ve also been told to wait for the system to process it eventually. Out of curiosity, I wait once just to see what would happen. Nothing happened after two months. So I called in again and told the agent how to get it done correctly: It has to be done by the Skymiles department. They need to get someone in that department to manually push the tax refund through. It worked every time
Wow! So how should I word exactly for the rep to understand what to do? Does DL hope that folks just let tax money go eventually in the DL`s bottom line? It is a known problem, apparently.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by MonAmQB
Wow! So how should I word exactly for the rep to understand what to do? Does DL hope that folks just let tax money go eventually in the DL`s bottom line? It is a known problem, apparently.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For taxes/fees, they go to the government when ticket is issued. DL keeps nothing even if it never refunds the ticket. This is why on paid tickets that expired you couldn't get a refund of them. You only get a refund of government taxes and government fees if the ticket itself is refunded. For the vast majority anyway, there are some fees in some countries that can be refunded even if ticket isn't.
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just ask them to check whether the ticket is “suspended” or not. If yes, tell the phone agent to get help from the Skymiles department. This is an award ticket issue, therefore whatever the culprit is seems only fixable by the Skymiles department.
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't waste a second more on this. Initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

DOT rules require that when a carrier cancels a flight, you are due a refund and that refund must be initiated within 7 days of your request. On the 8th day, file a chargeback. Make certain that you properly document your chargeback with a copy of the cancellation notice and the date (or screen shot) of your refund request.

It is not your job to tell DL how to do its job and it is not your job to make repeated calls.

You will likely have a temporary credit within 1-2 business days and that will become final in short order.

This, by the way, is true for both cash & redemption tickets.
ACR2013 and smartytravel like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't waste a second more on this. Initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

DOT rules require that when a carrier cancels a flight, you are due a refund and that refund must be initiated within 7 days of your request. On the 8th day, file a chargeback. Make certain that you properly document your chargeback with a copy of the cancellation notice and the date (or screen shot) of your refund request.

It is not your job to tell DL how to do its job and it is not your job to make repeated calls.

You will likely have a temporary credit within 1-2 business days and that will become final in short order.

Thank you for that. I know it is ridiculous wasting so much time with DL without any success. Btw, DL doesn`t send cancelations emails anymore. I mean I have email that the flight was canceled, but not the email where DL states it canceled the ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I've had two award tickets canceled by Delta in the past two months. Neither miles nor taxes were refunded without me calling to ask them to do it. Once I called, the redeposit and refunds were issued promptly. Why did I have to call???
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Often1

I would not do this. DL could close your SM account and ban future travel. Just call and get the ticket out of suspended to canceled.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I've had two award tickets canceled by Delta in the past two months. Neither miles nor taxes were refunded without me calling to ask them to do it. Once I called, the redeposit and refunds were issued promptly. Why did I have to call???
You would have gotten it eventually, but sometimes it helps to be a squeaky wheel (don't mean that in a bad way, by the way). Delta's refund wheels grind slow, but generally they grind fine, so you will get your money back eventually.

Four months is not atypical at the moment - that is what it took for my refunds (cash portion) to come back. Since then still have had to call twice to have them get the voucher portion reinstated (we actually want to use them to book new travel). This morning finally got an email (with an apology) that they are being reinstated, almost 5 months after initial cancellation.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I would not do this. DL could close your SM account and ban future travel. Just call and get the ticket out of suspended to canceled.
Please provide examples of this before posting fear-mongering threats such as this. Your assertion is untrue.

US law requires DL to have initiated the refund within 7 days of the request. When it is not done, both a chargeback and a DOT complaint are absolutely in order.

There will be no adverse consequence to the passenger for exercising his specific statutory rights (to a chargeback) and regulatory right (to a refund).
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Delta cancelled our flights for a trip to SXM, I called in and asked for a refund and they said it was being processing around August 24th or so. I noticed that the ticket is sitting as an Ecredit in my account, does this mean they didn't do it correctly or is that possibly an intermediate step before they get around to the actual refund?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
Delta cancelled our flights for a trip to SXM, I called in and asked for a refund and they said it was being processing around August 24th or so. I noticed that the ticket is sitting as an Ecredit in my account, does this mean they didn't do it correctly or is that possibly an intermediate step before they get around to the actual refund?
Either can be correct. I'd call in at this point to verify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.