Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by angra
I apologize if this has been answered already. Tried searching but the terms are tricky.

How are global upgrade certificates handled in the case of Delta-initiated and/or Customer-initiated cancellations, currently?
There was one report upthread about a cleared RUC being redeposited when canceled after a significant schedule change. Don't know about the general case though but seems worth a try calling in and asking for it.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by aacar
I just went through this a couple days ago after a schedule change. I believe the policy is still that RUC/GUC-based upgrades should be preserved as long as the ticket was reissued in OY, but many (most?) agents are unaware.

The first two agents I spoke with (one of whom consulted with a support desk) claimed I needed to be waitlisted again. The third agent, after talking with her supervisor, was able to manually push the change through and get me the last remaining J seat on the new flight.
As you saw in my full post, the agent I spoke to today said she was a supervisor. I was ready to contest this and/or HUCA until she gave me flights that were an improvement on the original outbound flights that were now a mess.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
As you saw in my full post, the agent I spoke to today said she was a supervisor. I was ready to contest this and/or HUCA until she gave me flights that were an improvement on the original outbound flights that were now a mess.
Yeah, it seems like that supervisor was misinformed since she indicated you would need to be re-waitlisted if upgrade space wasn't available (assuming your ticket had already been reissued in OY).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
to clarify just a little bit - I have a LAX-SYD flight next month where both ends cleared GUC. It looks like DL is running the SYD flights but I probably won't be able to enter the country, so I expect to need to cancel. I think the GUC are lost if I don't go, especially if DL operates the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
to clarify just a little bit - I have a LAX-SYD flight next month where both ends cleared GUC. It looks like DL is running the SYD flights but I probably won't be able to enter the country, so I expect to need to cancel. I think the GUC are lost if I don't go, especially if DL operates the flight.
I haven't been in that situation before, but my recollection of others' posts, at least pre-COVID, was that if you cancel a ticket that has already-cleared GUCs, they remain attached to the resulting credit and can/must be applied to whatever new itinerary you book using the credit. But I wonder in current conditions if you might be able to get them completely detached and reopened even for a (quasi-)voluntary cancellation.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I haven't been in that situation before, but my recollection of others' posts, at least pre-COVID, was that if you cancel a ticket that has already-cleared GUCs, they remain attached to the resulting credit and can/must be applied to whatever new itinerary you book using the credit. But I wonder in current conditions if you might be able to get them completely detached and reopened even for a (quasi-)voluntary cancellation.
I was able to get this recently done for a JFK-CDG trip - GUCs cleared, but had to cancel the trip. Got e-credit, and both GUCs went back to the wallet. I have since applied the GUCs for another trip where I didn't apply the e-credit from the JFK-CDG canceled trip. So, looks like GUCs were decoupled from the e-credit issued earlier.
angra and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze
I was able to get this recently done for a JFK-CDG trip - GUCs cleared, but had to cancel the trip. Got e-credit, and both GUCs went back to the wallet. I have since applied the GUCs for another trip where I didn't apply the e-credit from the JFK-CDG canceled trip. So, looks like GUCs were decoupled from the e-credit issued earlier.
Thanks for reporting this! It gives me a datapoint for how to handle my trip. Even if it was a one-off, the fact that it's not absolutely unheard of is helpful.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Meanwhile, over in the domestic world, both my cleared RUCs were redeposited next day when DL cancelled--one with the original expiry of 1/31/21, the other 7/31/21. CC credit took a couple of days on a straight purchase.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Technically if you cancel the trip due to no fault of DL, the GUC/RUC should remain attached to the ticket. When you goto rebook (using the ticket as payment for new one) the GUC/RUC gets applied to those flights. If there's no space to clear, you're waitlisted. If you never clear (flight leaves with you still in Y) you lose the GUC/RUC. Exception is if you cleared, but ticket hasn't been reissued. In this case the GUC/RUC should still show as OPEN and thus can be used for any other ticket as normal. (Reissuing ticket is what closes the GUC/RUC)

If OTOH you cancel ticket due to fault of airline (schedule change, flight cancellation, delayed flights (regardless of whose fault), etc...) then the GUC/RUC should be reopened. This should be done even if for whatever reason you elect an ecredit over a refund.

In the end YMMV with pushback from agent. HUCA may be needed if agent insists otherwise.

To answer another question posed. When rebooking due to airline schedule changes/ delays, upgrade space doesn't need be available. If it's not they should override. If the ticket hasn't been reissued you may get pushback about overriding.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:37 am

Thanks for the very clear rollup, flyerCO . That is about what I normally expect in terms of UC use, but I wasn't sure if they had made a more user-friendly policy standard. I've never cancelled a trip where a UC had cleared before, so some of the mechanics to reuse if its attached to a ticket are fuzzy to me but I can cross that bridge later. For now I'm mainly trying to set my strategy for how/when/if to cancel the ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by hangingaround
Would I be able to request a refund if my connecting flight has now been changed to 2 stops instead of 1 stop? I will still be arriving within 90 min of the original itinerary. But now I have an additional connection that I would need to make in 45 min. I have read that if its non stop and changed to connecting, I would be able to request a refund. Thanks
Data point

Request refund on Oct 15th
Received refund confirmation Oct 22
Posted on credit card Oct 23
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by hangingaround
Data point

Request refund on Oct 15th
Received refund confirmation Oct 22
Posted on credit card Oct 23
October?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by voodoogirl
October?
Didnt you know DL is the first to order and operate a time traveling ship.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Hopefully the OP will return on 10/23 to let us know how accurate their forecasting was.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:25 am

Refund requested July 22, Refund Confirmation Sep 24 for a ticket that had already been converted into a ECredit, and ticket that was supposed to be refunded was converted into an ECredit .. This is a mess ... Anyone had this same experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.