Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 20, 5:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tearex
Wiki Link
Delta: Can I Cancel/Change My Flight?

Some important info about award tickets is buried on the Coronavirus Travel Updates overview page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ravel/overview

Click to expand FAQs at the bottom, item 10:

10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee.
i.e. if the same ticket would be eligible for a change fee waiver if it were a cash ticket, then it is eligible for a waived redeposit fee as an award ticket.

Refund Status Checker: https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkR...sAction.action

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 20, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

DL Corona Virus COVID-19 Affecting Travel - Help and Q&A

Where’s Delta?

Newsroom - American Airlines Waiving Change Fees for Customers Purchasing Travel Between March 1 and March 16 - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Mar 1, 20, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
DL Coronavirus Affecting Status/Travel/Waivers Posted in APAC/EU

Folks - As requested, we are splitting out the DL Coronavirus Discussion Going Forward.

Last edited by ryandc99; Apr 13, 20 at 7:57 pm
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:19 pm

Trip to Japan in early August. Purchased two tickets in D1 with miles. Lost platinum status after purchase. If I have to cancel, what will the FEES be without platinum reissue waiver? Will the fee be a points deduction or a cash charge. Thanks
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Klarity7 View Post
Trip to Japan in early August. Purchased two tickets in D1 with miles. Lost platinum status after purchase. If I have to cancel, what will the FEES be without platinum reissue waiver? Will the fee be a points deduction or a cash charge. Thanks
$150 per ticket. Not sure what this has to do with the new Sticky.
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
$150 per ticket. Not sure what this has to do with the new Sticky.
thanks. Not terrible given the amount of miles that I redeemed.

Was not sure which was the appropriate thread...operational issues or waivers...seemed like waivers was a better fit but could be wrong. This cancel would be if Olympics in Japan we cancelled due to Coronavirus but DL was still flying there. Should have mentioned that.
Old Mar 1, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Can someone explain to me why airlines are waiving tickets booked now and not those booked months ago when this virus wasn't even a thing?
jaimemayo, fotographer and Saidoh like this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 8:41 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Can someone explain to me why airlines are waiving tickets booked now and not those booked months ago when this virus wasn't even a thing?
It's to promote sales. The theory is that if you are on the edge about booking the waiver puts you at ease should your plans change. And the fact that it is for a limited time drives you to take action. It is kind of taking advantage of a crisis...

DL may or may not decide that they need to. It is interesting that the domestic airlines like AS and B6 are hurting because of this -- you would think the airlines that fly TATL and TPAC would feel more of an impact.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Question Canceling my Vegas trip for next weekend

My wife and I booked award tickets from Seattle to Vegas, and wanted to cancel it. I was told by Delta customer rep that unless we get notice or diagnosis from the doctor, we are unable to cancel the tickets and redeposit my Delta points without paying $150 fee.

Any recommendations?
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Pay the fee if you want the miles back?
bubbashow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Nah, I don't know I want to pay $300 for 44,000 miles.
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:35 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I thought the policy was "no refunds" even if you have a note from the doctor, though I am surprised that with the apparent growth in "community spread" cases of Covid-19 in the PNW, that Delta would want sick people on their planes out of SEA. But not that surprised.
Old Mar 1, 20, 11:12 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airforjoey View Post
My wife and I booked award tickets from Seattle to Vegas, and wanted to cancel it. I was told by Delta customer rep that unless we get notice or diagnosis from the doctor, we are unable to cancel the tickets and redeposit my Delta points without paying $150 fee.

Any recommendations?
1) show up at airport with a fever, cough, and/or face mask (to prevent infecting others)
2) let the gate agent deem you unfit to travel
3) get refund

​​​​​
Old Mar 1, 20, 11:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
3) get refund​​​​​
Will airlines refund if they deny boarding for physical unfitness?
Old Mar 2, 20, 4:48 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
1) show up at airport with a fever, cough, and/or face mask (to prevent infecting others)
2) let the gate agent deem you unfit to travel
3) get refund

​​​​​
Wow, lying about being sick because someone wants to get out of paying a change fee for a weekend trip. Might as well say you were diagnosed with cancer and had a miscarriage too. If you want to really cancel due to the media hysteria over this flu... wouldn't you want to get away from Seattle where there are confirmed cases?
kthomas likes this.
Old Mar 2, 20, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
Jet Blue and American now offering system-wide waivers of various kinds; American's seems a little more gimmicky than Jet Blue's. Hopefully Delta will come up with something that will be clear and customer-friendly. They need to encourage us to continue to book travel while understanding that, for a period of time measured in months, not weeks, we will have a large number of reasons to rebook or cancel that cannot be considered in a set of typical airline rules. The different situations are coming out of the woodwork now as folks here describe their individual situations: old tickets, new tickets, one change vs. several, fears at various destinations and origins, sickness, upgrades, status, miles -- everything. We need a broad relaxation of rules to keep us buying tickets and to hold on to still-sensible arrangements we already have in place.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: