Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Our Commitment email from Ed Bastian COVID-19 March 15 update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I just received a message from Ed Bastian regarding DL's response to the COVID-19 situation.

There are three bullet points:

Safety: cleaning planes well, gate areas, etc., fogging process

Flexibility <my word>: any ticket for travel in March and April can be rebooked through December, but please don't call unless you're scheduled to travel within 72 hours [New to me: If you don't take your flight, it will automatically become an eCredit within 24 hours.]

Status: after DL gets through the crisis, they will consider how to handle status issues

Mods might want to move this into one of the existing big COVID-19 threads.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just received a message from Ed Bastian regarding DL's response to the COVID-19 situation.

There are three bullet points:

Safety: cleaning planes well, gate areas, etc., fogging process

Flexibility <my word>: any ticket for travel in March and April can be rebooked through December, but please don't call unless you're scheduled to travel within 72 hours [New to me: If you don't take your flight, it will automatically become an eCredit within 24 hours.]

Status: after DL gets through the crisis, they will consider how to handle status issues

Mods might want to move this into one of the existing big COVID-19 threads.
I read flexibility that any ticket *expiring* in March or April would be extended to Dec 31.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
I read flexibility that any ticket *expiring* in March or April would be extended to Dec 31.
Good point. For some people, this is a big difference. Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:34 pm

Good point. For some people, this is a big difference. Thanks.
I feel like there are a lot of nuances and even some conflicting language within all of the waivers in regards to ecredit expiration. It would be nice if they just blanket extended all ecredits to Dec 31 or ticket validity, whichever is longer.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Also noted: if you don't take your flight, but also don't/can't call to cancel, an ecert for the full amount is being automatically generated.
MSPeconomist and mot29 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
Also noted: if you don't take your flight, but also don't/can't call to cancel, an ecert for the full amount is being automatically generated.
This is a huge plus with how overloaded the call center is. I have a flight on Sunday that I'm not planning to take, so this is a nice feature.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Ed gets it.

Hope DL survives all of this. When flying is back on the table for me, you better believe I’ll be back on DL to support them.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Our Commitment Remains: Your Update from Ed Bastian

This just in:

Dear XXXX,

We are in unprecedented times. With the ongoing spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and the incredible speed at which things are changing around us, we are continually adapting our operations and business. With recent reductions in our flight schedule, I personally want to ensure that every member of our Delta family is informed on an ongoing basis, including you.

As an airline, we have faced many challenges and each has made us better prepared for a situation like this. Caring for you continues to be our top priority, and our people are working tirelessly across the globe, taking every precaution to make sure that when you are ready to travel, Delta is here for you.

We are working around the clock to:

Protect you and your loved ones when you fly. You have my promise that our team is going above and beyond the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization to ensure your safety. We are building on an ever-present focus on cleanliness and continually assessing ways to enhance your safety throughout the travel experience. This includes disinfecting check-in kiosks regularly, more frequently cleaning and disinfecting gate areas, and doubling down on our regular aircraft cleaning. We’ve added a fogging process to disinfect most transoceanic flights and are quickly securing more equipment to expand fogging to even more flights. As always, in-flight air is filtered through Delta’s state-of-the-art circulation system with HEPA filtration. Here is a comprehensive look at the work we are doing to protect you.

Make it easier to adjust travel plans. We know customers trying to contact us are experiencing extremely long wait times, and we are continuing to do everything possible to address your needs as we work through a solution. Our teams are currently focused on helping customers whose travel is scheduled within the next 72 hours. If your travel is further out, you may cancel or change your flight anytime before your travel date using My Trips on Delta.com. To allow even more flexibility, any Delta ticket expiring in March or April is being extended to enable rebooking and travel until Dec. 31, 2020. Whenever your travel may be, rest assured that all changes will be processed and applicable credits will be issued; if you don’t take your flight, your ticket number automatically becomes an unused eCredit within 24 hours. We promise to resolve your issues and sincerely appreciate your patience.

Address your SkyMiles® Medallion® Status questions. We’re grateful for the loyalty of millions of customers who choose to fly with Delta each year, and I know some of you have questions regarding Medallion® Status and promotions. Please know that we hear you and understand your concerns. Right now, we are 100 percent focused on helping our customers with immediate flight needs. As soon as we get through this critical time, we will address questions about what we are doing to help ensure you can continue to enjoy Status and benefits when you fly now, and in the future.

While we are reducing our flight schedule, we know the ability to travel remains essential. Many of you have reached out to us to express your support for our people – it means so much to me and our Delta family, and I thank you deeply for your care.

I want to reiterate my commitment, and that of the world’s best airline professionals, to safely connect you to the places and people who mean the most to you. We appreciate your loyalty and never take it for granted.

Sincerely,

Ed Bastian

Ed Bastian
CEO
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

I said in my OP that I hadn't noticed this feature before. I suspect it's new and of course very helpful given the call center delays.

OTOH I hope this doesn't cause trouble for someone trying to use the flat tire rule after simply missing a flight if the ticket turns into an eCredit too quickly. (Unanticipated consequences/collateral damage?) Maybe the 24 hour delay was done on purpose to cover such cases.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And within 24 hours, nice!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM
When I called Monday to cancel a flight for next week the story was e-credit for flight value less $200, then I'd have to call in to have the extra $200 added (cancellation fee waiver). My online Delta wallet reflected that. Just checked my account tonight and and that booking now shows full e-credit value. Kind move by Delta (and of course it saves them a call when I'm ready to rebook).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve

I have three March/April international trips I need to cancel and they are trips I really can't re-book at this point either. As I read and try to understand the information, I understand it like this - am I correct or not?
  • I can re-book but need to do so by 12/31 and travel must start by 12/31 and be completed prior to one year of original ticket booking
  • If I cancel or don't take the flight, I get an e-credit and need to book a new flight by 12/31 and travel can take place per the rules of the newly booked ticket (no bearing on old ticket dates)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Ed gets it.

Hope DL survives all of this. When flying is back on the table for me, you better believe I’ll be back on DL to support them.
I'd bet they will. Also I think DL is probably best placed/most balanced vs. AA and UA. AA announced an amazing 55% capacity cut to AsiaPac. UA is very tied to EU, not to say DL isn't, but DL has offshored a lot of its TATL and TPAC flying to its other partners. It also doesn't hurt that AA and UA are both run by executives that some would question how good they are at their job, even before this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Initially it looked like AA would have the advantage in its BA partnership versus Schengen carriers like LH for UA and AF/KLM for DL, among others, but not that the UK Is included in the travel ban, that makes less difference.

However, I predict that DL will be hurt by having its main Asia partners be KE (South Korea) and MU (mainland China) rather than JAL and CX (which is hurting but still has the Hong Kong advantage). UA with NH and SQ looks relatively good too, despite OZ and TK.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Initially it looked like AA would have the advantage in its BA partnership versus Schengen carriers like LH for UA and AF/KLM for DL, among others, but not that the UK Is included in the travel ban, that makes less difference.

However, I predict that DL will be hurt by having its main Asia partners be KE (South Korea) and MU (mainland China) rather than JAL and CX (which is hurting but still has the Hong Kong advantage). UA with NH and SQ looks relatively good too, despite OZ and TK.

South Korea looks like its getting its situation under control. KE may still have issues, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.