Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Got the Skymiles Reserve business card - what is complimentary upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got the Skymiles Reserve business card - what is complimentary upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec silver
Interesting - thanks.
Surprised really. I mean what is the point on these loyalty programmes and credit cards etc... ?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by firehawk
Interesting - thanks.
Surprised really. I mean what is the point on these loyalty programmes and credit cards etc... ?
For those of us who fly frequently (particularly, enough to earn Platinum or Diamond status), the benefits are fairly significant. Most can understand that Silver status or simply possessing a credit card is not going to provide similar benefits.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Interesting - thanks.
The benefits of Silver are pretty minimal. It is the lowest elite level at Delta.
The only benefit you can count on is free checked bag.
Next, access to C+ at T-24 is an ok benefit.
Upgrades to FC are at the bottom of the list, because Silver is the lowest of the elite levels. If upgrades are what you want, as a Silver, either use FCM or get enough MQM/MQD to get to Gold/Platinum/Diamond. To me, Platinum is the sweet spot, and even as a PL, on my routes upgrades are well below 50%
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Interesting - thanks.
To reward the company with increased dollars from people with loyalty .And they work. If they didn't they wouldn't exist. There are many people here that take 200+ Delta flights a year here and spend an obscene amount of money with them. Personally, I have never exceeded 170 flights or spent more than $20,000 in a year but there are plenty here who have.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
it would be SEA to LAS.

I thought being a silver member (and having that card) would make you eligible for something at least! LOL. Even more priority than first class fares who aren't members/bought the higher class fare.
You are eligible, but many others are also eligible and are ahead of you in the priority list according to published DL rules for its FF program. The reality is that eligibility doesn't mean that you *will* get an upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm climbing faster! But the perks?

So this year I went from a standard member to Gold and almost heading to Platinum.
I also have the Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business American Express Card.

The perks on the site for the various categories for the SkyMiles membership/member looks good but very little are aware of the perks for the AMEX Reserve card, which is surprising given it is their partnership with AMEX.

In any event, what perks can I take advantage of from purely the SkyMiles Gold membership? And what about adding the AMEX reserve card to the mix?

I am looking specifically at where, when I book... it tells me that I am eligible for upgrade from, say, Comfort+ to First. I normally travel in First so makes me wonder how:

- can I know for sure I can be eligible for upgrade from Comfort+ to First?
- is it complimentary upgrade or a fee based upgrade if eligible?
- How many days from departure can I be eligible?
- Anything (unrelated to the above) I can take advantage of "on the day" of departure?

BTW, these are domestic flights on the west coast I take.

Thank you
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:59 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Congrats on Gold, and getting to platinum!

The perks of the AMEX Reserve are: 1) If the system has availability, you can purchase a FC ticket, and your companion gets a FC for free when using the voucher. The keyword is availability. You'll get the voucher on your renewal of the yearly fee of the card. 2)SkyClub access (my personal opinion is that this is the biggest perk). 3) There are other MQM bonuses based on spend, and can help you towards a higher elite status.

As a gold member, you can get upgraded 72 hours before departure. Just make sure you check both the comfort + and FC boxes on the upgrade. You can go to your future flights, and you'll see the upgrade portion, and just check both. A rough estimate of how many seats left are for upgrade, is to hit the upgrade list on the App, and it will show you available FC and C+ seats.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

So, if I wanted to get the upgrade, means I have to book at least 72 hours or more? What if, for example, I book *now* for a departure tomorrow?
Last thing I'd like is where, for instance, I book Comfort in anticipation for FC upgrade and then don't get it :P
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
- can I know for sure I can be eligible for upgrade from Comfort+ to First?
- is it complimentary upgrade or a fee based upgrade if eligible?
You are eligible. It is availability-based complimentary upgrade. DL, as well as other airlines, has already used its system to prioritize upgrade based on various factors (namely, status, fare class and more).

The practically problem there are simply too many ahead of you, at the minimum, PM and DM. So your chance of upgrade will be greatly impacted by their existence. So this benefit is practically non-existence to many low tiered members.

When indeed, AMEX DL Reserve Card may improve the chance, but it is mostly (or definitely) not your case. Because the first 2 upgrade factors are status and fare class. So that benefit applies only when you are competing with another GM.

- How many days from departure can I be eligible?
As early as T-72. Note - just because you are within the upgrade window, it does not mean your upgrade will clear. It all depends on whether DL releases the inventory for upgrades.

- Anything (unrelated to the above) I can take advantage of "on the day" of departure?
None unless you want to pay for the upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's Like Déjŕ Vu All Over Again -- Got the Skymiles Reserve business card - what is complimentary upgrade?
Zorak likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper

not quite...
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
not quite...
True - given the determining factor now is GM, not the Reserve Card anymore.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
True - given the determining factor now is GM, not the Reserve Card anymore.
Exactly 😉
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Don't get your hopes up. My F upgrade percentage as a PM is falling dramatically as more people return to flying. If you do get upgraded you might get a partially complete nonperishable snack box.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:42 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you!

So, if I wanted to get the upgrade, means I have to book at least 72 hours or more? What if, for example, I book *now* for a departure tomorrow?
Last thing I'd like is where, for instance, I book Comfort in anticipation for FC upgrade and then don't get it :P
The upgrade window for any medallion level is not automatic. Even Diamonds sometimes have to wait for a gate upgrade, and is system dependent.

As others have said, your upgrade is not guaranteed, and depends on who is in front of you on the upgrade list. Lastly, lets say you are number one for the remaining FC seat, and the only person on the upgrade list, you can still not get upgraded. If another FC customer misses a flight, they may take that seat even without being on the upgrade list.

Just purchase the class you will be happy with, and think of upgrades as a nice surprise that is never guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.