Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Got the Skymiles Reserve business card - what is complimentary upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec silver
and given the corona virus stuff, cant get through toe CS either... long delays. Granted it is not really a priority compared to other things they have to deal with, but would be good to know that is clear somewhere.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by firehawk
and given the corona virus stuff, cant get through toe CS either... long delays. Granted it is not really a priority compared to other things they have to deal with, but would be good to know that is clear somewhere.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...grades#Reserve

Many of us posting here know more about DL policies than some of their frontline staff. That's a big part of why this forum exists.

edit: turns out UGs can clear at 24 hours out of reserve non-medallions.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's fairly common for Delta reps to not know about recent changes. The upgrades are all handled automatically, so there's no reason or point to talk to an agent. You just need to make sure Skymiles number is on your reservation and you don't book any Basic Economy fares (which are not eligible for comp upgrades). As noted above, you can try a dummy booking on delta.com while logged into your account and there will be a "View Upgrade Eligibility" link on each flight. If the system recognizes you as eligible, it will either show "Upgrade Eligible" or "Upgrade Available" for your flight and you are good to go. Note that you still have to be within your upgrade window (24 hours before flight) to get upgraded. So even if it says that an upgrade is available, you will not get an upgrade unless you are within 24 hours of your flight.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's fairly common for Delta reps to not know about recent changes. The upgrades are all handled automatically, so there's no reason or point to talk to an agent. You just need to make sure Skymiles number is on your reservation and you don't book any Basic Economy fares (which are not eligible for comp upgrades). As noted above, you can try a dummy booking on delta.com while logged into your account and their will be a "View Upgrade Eligibility" link on each flight. If the system recognizes you as eligible, it will either show "Upgrade Eligible" or "Upgrade Available" for your flight and you are good to go. Note that you still have to be within your upgrade window (24 hours before flight), so even if it says that an upgrade is available, you will not get an upgrade unless you are within 24 hours of your flight.
Not to get too hung up, but do we have any data points whether non-medallion reserve card holders see the "View Upgrade Eligibility" link?

For OP: that link would only appear on the desktop site, not mobile.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by xliioper
So even if it says that an upgrade is available, you will not get an upgrade unless you are within 24 hours of your flight.
I thought you'll only see upgrade available if you're within your window?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
I thought you'll only see upgrade available if you're within your window?
That's my understanding.......and trying to make a dummy FULL Y booking no longer works as these tickets aren't upgraded any more at the time of purchase but must wait for the elite window.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

so this still makes no sense.
Called Delta and they said having the card doesn't make me eligible.
but... the card stated that you would get preferential treatment for upgrades.... but she said that it doesn't allow it.

?!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so this still makes no sense.
Called Delta and they said having the card doesn't make me eligible.
but... the card stated that you would get preferential treatment for upgrades.... but she said that it doesn't allow it.

?!
As several of us have already noted above, the frontline staff are generally underinformed on many details of the status program. The flyers here are far better informed as they have a vested interest in all the details, as well as having firsthand experience. It's clearly a published benefit and most of the details of it have been published in this thread. Which specific question do you still have? Your priority with no status will be behind all other Medallions and your upgrade window does not open until 24 hours before a flight (the same as Silver Medallions, but at a lower priority). The system will decide when to release open seats for an upgrade automatically (there is a separate inventory bucket just for upgrades). All airlines hold back seats from the complementary upgrade bucket to reserve seats for last minute sales (it also provides some availability to people making same day changes). Calling to request an upgrade just because there is an open seat is not how it works. This would allow you to jump over other people who are ahead of you in the priority queue.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Sorry, I thought when you say frontline staff, I thought you meant the checkin desk at the airport and not the customer service call center
Old May 30, 2020, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Eligible upgrade?

So I am going through the delta site.
I am silver
I also have the Delta AMEX Business skymiles reserve card.

It shows me on the comfort+ that there is eligibility for upgrade on my return trip.
In the checkout page, the checkbox is also checked for the Upgrade request to upgrade to first.

Does this mean that once the ticket is issued, they will upgrade me to first or... no?
Old May 30, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. You are not eligible for an upgrade until you are within your upgrade window (24 hours for a Silver Medallion). You will get upgraded when you are both within your window and the system says "Upgrade Available" (not simply "Upgrade Eligible") which indicates there is complimentary upgrade inventory available. Also, Delta has currently suspended all upgrades until the gate for everyone due to distancing concerns. I had a feeling we've been through this all before (yep) --

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

Last edited by xliioper; May 30, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old May 30, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Well the difference this time is that now I am a silver as before I was not. It just seems that I believe and feel that I have two solid options given to me and yet it is not valid in one way or another which I think is a little bit unfair. I know that the seats on the plane for first class are pretty empty so therefore I would always think that I would be able to get an upgrade when booking within 24 hours before departure. It would be better if they would remove that option given covid-19 if we are not eligible for upgrades.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Well the difference this time is that now I am a silver as before I was not. It just seems that I believe and feel that I have two solid options given to me and yet it is not valid in one way or another which I think is a little bit unfair. I know that the seats on the plane for first class are pretty empty so therefore I would always think that I would be able to get an upgrade when booking within 24 hours before departure. It would be better if they would remove that option given covid-19 if we are not eligible for upgrades.
As a silver, you are low on the totem pole for upgrades (behind all Diamond, Platinum, Gold, plus any silvers who bought a higher fare class). You can see your place on the upgrade list when you check in for the flight.
What route are you looking at? There are some routes that your chances for an upgrade to FC as a Silver are basically 0. Most routes btw.
MSPeconomist and GagaPilot like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

it would be SEA to LAS.

I thought being a silver member (and having that card) would make you eligible for something at least! LOL. Even more priority than first class fares who aren't members/bought the higher class fare.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Do you see your position on the upgrade list? Note that Delta is currently limiting First Class occupancy to 50%, so the number of seats showing available isn't accurate in terms of upgrade chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.