Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I apologize for complaining about DL....

I apologize for complaining about DL....

Old Mar 14, 20, 5:18 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,341
I apologize for complaining about DL....

I had not flown United domestic F in a long time and I can tell you after flying it that DL is light years ahead at least in domestic.

No PDB
No seat back screens
No USB power
Very dated interior on a 737-900 which should be at least somewhat new
Terrible service

I got too comfortable flying DL domestic F and realized they are light years ahead
vincentharris is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:27 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,552
I have taken 10 segments in United first (all TPA-IAH where my elderly parents live) and have had the complete opposite experience.

All had power, half had IFE (those that didnít the United entertainment worked fine) and PDB has been 90% (none on a delayed flight which I get).

Service has all been fine.

Anecdotal of course and am pretty loyal to DL but my parents foot the bill on these trips and itís United for them.
apodo77 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 5:34 pm
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
I have taken 10 segments in United first (all TPA-IAH where my elderly parents live) and have had the complete opposite experience.

All had power, half had IFE (those that didnít the United entertainment worked fine) and PDB has been 90% (none on a delayed flight which I get).

Service has all been fine.

Anecdotal of course and am pretty loyal to DL but my parents foot the bill on these trips and itís United for them.
This plane did have regular power outlets just not USB
vincentharris is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,641
Internationally, though, I found UA Polaris much comfier than Delta One. Their seats, whether old Fauxpolaris or new, are far easier to sleep in Delta's crap leather seats.

The Polaris lounges are better too.
SteveHK and ethernal like this.
keitherson is online now  
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,574
There are still plenty of DL planes without IFE or USB power in F
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:01 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,757
Aren't the USB power sources considered insecure? I avoid them unless absolutely necessary in favor of real electrical outlets.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:54 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 16,329
that seems to be a far greater concern in more public venues (gate areas, coffee shops, etc) than on aircraft
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Aren't the USB power sources considered insecure? I avoid them unless absolutely necessary in favor of real electrical outlets.
In theory, if you have a really old phone, but the probability of someone hacking the hardware on a plane is pretty small (there's a pretty small number of people, whose identities are basically all known, who would have access to it).

The reason to avoid the USB plugs on the plane is that they delivery practically zero current.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,281
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
that seems to be a far greater concern in more public venues (gate areas, coffee shops, etc) than on aircraft
For a living, I get paid to worry when there's nothing to be worried about. I never use random USB outlets even in planes, and like MSPEconomist I use electrical outlets with chargers that I provide.
fliesdelta is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:59 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,278
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Aren't the USB power sources considered insecure? I avoid them unless absolutely necessary in favor of real electrical outlets.
If you have an iPhone, when you first plug into a USB outlet it will ask you if you ďtrust this device.Ē If you say no, it will still charge, it just wonít share data from your iPhone. I always prefer plugging in to a standard outlet as well, not just for security concerns but because itís faster.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 11:10 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Aren't the USB power sources considered insecure? I avoid them unless absolutely necessary in favor of real electrical outlets.
You should consider a USB condom which would help provide some piece of mind when only USB is an option.
Flyer0889 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 11:26 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tacoma, WA
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
There are still plenty of DL planes without IFE or USB power in F
Aside from the MD88, B717 and CRJs, I can't think of any others. I seem to recall the E175 not having screens on a recent trip, but it did have power. At least it did in FC.
Daitheflu84 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:34 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
If you have an iPhone, when you first plug into a USB outlet it will ask you if you ďtrust this device.Ē
more importantly, you'll only get that question if the "charger" is actually data-capable. So just seeing it is a huge tipoff, and you should report it to whoever owns the facility.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:37 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,278
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
more importantly, you'll only get that question if the "charger" is actually data-capable. So just seeing it is a huge tipoff, and you should report it to whoever owns the facility.
Iíve seen this message when plugging into DL IFE screens many times before (though not always).
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:36 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84 View Post
Aside from the MD88, B717 and CRJs, I can't think of any others. I seem to recall the E175 not having screens on a recent trip, but it did have power. At least it did in FC.
md88/90/b717 and all connection carriers lack IFE. All WiFi equipped planes have streaming content.
Flyer0889 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: