Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta slashing capacity 40% ("the largest capacity reduction in Delta's history)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta slashing capacity 40% ("the largest capacity reduction in Delta's history)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Very significant.

And we can expect AA and UA to do something similar.
And remarkably load factors will still be incredibly low.. but it's probably as much as they can cut the network and still have a viable connecting infrastructure and actually impact cost structure (e.g., what are the contractual commits to unions?).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
To be clear, every authority is saying not to wear N95 masks because there are not enough and not because they are not effective. N95 masks are effective at reducing (but likely not eliminating) transmission but they are needed most by medical professionals in environments with known exposure.

Surgical masks are useful for those who already have the virus and seek to reduce the spread, but are likely not very effective at preventing the spread other than potentially a subliminal reminder to not touch your face.
What I said was clear: authorities have been saying that healthy people should not wear masks.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
We're getting dangerously off-topic here, but South Korea has been heralded as a great example of wide-scale testing which reduces the undercounting phenomenom. You can read this to see the death rates there. Even with a non-overhwelmed healthcare, the death rate for 70+ is 5%. You see nearly identical numbers on the Diamond Princess which had a 100% testing rate and had people onboard healthy enough to take a cruise.

This is not just "the flu". It is both more contagious and significantly more deadly - at a minimum it is 10x more deadly, and that is without an overwhelmed healthcare system. Throw an overwhelmed healthcare system where even basic treatment like extra oxygen is not available and I can guarantee you that the death rate skyrockets. 10-20% of cases require hospitalization; of that subset, likely 5%+ would die without medical treatment. We manage to reduce a 5% death rate to a 1% deathrate because we are able to provide medical care. Uncontrolled spread means that benefit of modern medicine goes away.
I'm not disagreeing with your statement, but that comparison between S Korea and the US is highly flawed, as shown by the higher death rate of 30-39 over 40-49. South Korea only had 60 total deaths when the article was published, compared to 34,200 deaths in the US from influenza in the time period shown. We know there could be a huge variation in numbers, plus the fact that vulnerable US citizens are more than likely receiving the Flu shot every year, which would also lower the influenza mortality rate, whereas the same vulnerable population can't protect themselves from Covid-19.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:03 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
What I said was clear: authorities have been saying that healthy people should not wear masks.
This is one of many articles now floating around about masks and why they are so prevalent in the Far East, you try to go w/o in China, Japan, Taiwan etc. It isn't wrong / right, but in the US we have a huge shortage, less a problem in the Far East as use of mask there is high and thus the supply chain has that usage expectation, but not in the Western world

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/o...effective.html
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
And remarkably load factors will still be incredibly low.. but it's probably as much as they can cut the network and still have a viable connecting infrastructure and actually impact cost structure (e.g., what are the contractual commits to unions?).
Yep. I imagine there will be a lot more waiting around in airports waiting for connecting flights as frequencies are reduced.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
Booked a trip to BOS from TPA and the TPA-ATL segment is showing an MD-88 for 4-4-20.

Been in the area 2 years and never seen an MD at any gates. Maybe it’s a mistake and will be corrected.
They’ve been there. Just flew out of TPA on a MD90 a few weeks ago. The 717s are common. 88s less common these days but they pop up every so often.
apodo77 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by The Situation
Vulnerable populations should ALWAYS take extra precautions and everyone should ALWAYS stay home if they are sick.
How about you contact the nursing home in Kirkland, WA and ask how many residents died from Influenza A and B this year vs. how many died from coronavirus. I suspect they will tell you few to none from influenza A and B thanks to this yearly thing we call a vaccine. People vulnerable to the flu usually get the vaccine.
Gerbs likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

This is not just "the flu". It is both more contagious and significantly more deadly - at a minimum it is 10x more deadly, and that is without an overwhelmed healthcare system. Throw an overwhelmed healthcare system where even basic treatment like extra oxygen is not available and I can guarantee you that the death rate skyrockets. 10-20% of cases require hospitalization; of that subset, likely 5%+ would die without medical treatment. We manage to reduce a 5% death rate to a 1% deathrate because we are able to provide medical care. Uncontrolled spread means that benefit of modern medicine goes away.
Indeed. If you are 30-39 (as I am), do you want a 1 in 500 chance of dying? That's not so low probability I'd be caviler. You'd definitely take steps to avoid that even if 499 out of 500 live. It's 10-20x more risky than the flu. All the stuff about "we don't know the denominator / how many cases weren't tested" applies to other diseases as well. Maybe the real # are 2x lower for both flu and COVID but it's still worse.

Also people who do not die but recover may be left with permanently decreased lung function (lung fibrosis) or damage to other organs (e.g. kidneys).
Gerbs likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by JHake10
Summary: We're looking at government subsidies.
How hypocritical.
Time to bump those threads about the ME3?
JHake10 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
I figured it was going to get worse because cutting the non-authorized European ports of entry (MCO-AMS, CVG-CDG, etc) wasn't going to be enough.

Quite the note (are you authorized to post it?).

The response seems completely reasonable. Delta is well run, and this note is an indication of that. They're doing all the right things to prepare for what could be the worst year for aviation since WW2.
Ed's note to all Delta people is officially on the Delta website.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
The CDC is projecting that between 160 million and 210 million people will contract the disease, and further that between 200,000 and 1.7 million people will die. This isn't media scaremongering — this is epidemiology. Research shows that this is the worst illness since the 1918 Spanish flu — slightly less deadly, slightly more transmittable.
And, to add context: about 157,000 people die a DAY worldwide. 57million a year according to the WHO.

So, in the most extreme data you provided, the increase is less than 3% increase for a year. (It’s about 90% less deadly than the 10th leading cause of death - automobiles.)

That’s a rounding error. It’s the margin of error for something we honestly should not even thinking about.

see, when you put it in context at how big the world is, you see how tiny this virus is, and how it’s honestly the least deadly thing to happen to humans in decades.

But here we are: keyboard warriors demanding justice by shutting down the world economy - which will hurt and kill millions. So they don’t get the sniffles.

THAT is shameful.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:33 pm

Duplicate
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I am busy booking flights as the fares are stupid cheap right now. Am I the only one doing this?

I can work from anywhere in the world - This is like the chance of a lifetime for me.
I looked up a hypothetical trip to Paris in 3 weeks. The economy fare is very high.

Chance of a lifetime? Yeah, if you are dead from travel acquired Covid-19.

I would consider each trip very carefully. I would not have a personal ban on travel. However, I would factor in the chance of Covid-19 death. A possible conclusion is to reduce city travels (where restaurants and museums are a major component) and do more countryside travels (where outdoor wonders, possibly by rental car) is more prevalent. For example, it may be an excellent time to see Mesa Verde instead of Berlin.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:36 pm

duplicate
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I wish every single thread didn't go off the rails... scrolling through all these same argument posts over and over just to see relevant discussion. Forget the virus I am getting sick from the reactions on both sides of the debate and just want to move forward with life whatever that looks like.

Anyway regarding the 40% cut and Schedule Change Saturday... when does the Saturday thing normally get "finished" so to speak. Trying to figure out when to get my hopes up. My Tuesday flight still shows on time and is still available for sale... for now. Figure my GM 3 day upgrades will clear then flight will disappear.

I won't really get my hopes up until I sit in the seat... but just curious about Saturday. Haven't paid much attention to that until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.