Question on bag fees in First Class

Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Question on bag fees in First Class

Hi all, I have a quick question on bag fees on Delta (trying to fly a college kid home due to college shut down from coronavirus). Delta bag fees are 1st bag $30, 2nd bag $40, 3rd bag $150, and 4th and beyond $200. A first class ticket allows you 2 bags free. If my kid has to fly home 4 bags and if I bought first class, would I pay $150 and $200 for the 3rd and 4th bags? Or would the first bags be free and then bags 3 and 4 would be $30 and $40, respectively. I tried to search Delta and FlyerTalk to see if I could find this answer, but couldn't. Thanks, FT - appreciate it!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The former - the fees for the first two bags are waived but a third bag is still a third bag.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
You'll save $70 at least. Plus the bags can be 70 pounds not 50 so that might help.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:26 pm

have you looked into shipping the bags instead?
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's just a waiver of the fees for the first two.

But, the suggestion of using Fedex / UPS ground service to ship stuff, especially bulky but light, is a really good idea. That leaves 2 x 70 lbs (which is really quite a lot when you left a 70 lb bag).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Thanks for the responses, all - the clarity helps tremendously! I did think about shipping - but I think I'd rather overpay on bag fees vs. have her go through the hassle of figuring out shipping when she's just trying to take 2 days to say goodbye to all her friends (e.g. a tough way to end one's senior year in college). Hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.