Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Singapore Reservations Line often can be reached with little to no hold time.
+65-6336-3371

Suggestion to use Skype or Google Voice - both offer rates of 1 cent per minute.

Direct line for SINRES stopped working around November 2021.

For travel within 48 hours, see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2063929-faster-delta-call-back-number-1-855-548-2505-within-48-hours-departure.html

1 (800) 835-9154 is a number that has worked for many members. It is unknown what specifically this line is used for.

This number also stopped working around March 24, 2022.
Print Wikipost

Delta Extensive Hold Times during COVID-19 (consolidated thread)

Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Looks like a crummy start to the morning at ATL on a busy holiday travel weekend….
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Looks like a crummy start to the morning at ATL on a busy holiday travel weekend….
Why? 9 delays and 3 cancelations outbound as opposed to 4 and 8 at Newark?
FLYPWM, SamirD and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
A new wrinkle... it used to be that if you elected the "I'll wait on hold option" your initial choice was fixed. Now they come back on every 20 minutes or so and ask if you want to hold, or elect for a call back. So, you have to repeatedly reaffirm your "I'll wait on hold" selection.

For me, this is a perfectly good system. I like the callback option, and I like more options, rather than fewer, and the option of changing my mind if the situation on the ground changes.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Noting that the first post in this thread was over two years ago, I would suggest that if DL management had any serious intention of solving this problem, we would have seen some improvement by now.

It is inexcusable for a Diamond to have to wait 1.5 to 2.0 hours to reach an agent in the evening.

Does this mean that the 24 hour cancellation guarantee should be interpreted to be a 22 hour cancellation guarantee, since you have to begin at 10:00 PM in order to meet the 12:00M cut-off?

A new wrinkle... it used to be that if you elected the "I'll wait on hold option" your initial choice was fixed. Now they come back on every 20 minutes or so and ask if you want to hold, or elect for a call back. So, you have to repeatedly reaffirm your "I'll wait on hold" selection.

As I have noted elsewhere, the call back option does not work for me, since the system will not acknowledge any of my key pad inputs.
I tend to agree it doesn't want me to give them 10K + dollars for a J ticket when I know other the inflight piece everything else is a crap shoot.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Is the call back system straight up down today? I'm not getting the personalized greeting or wait estimate either.
kthomas and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
I just want to say as a DM I haven’t needed to wait longer than 5min in a few months.

Now them waiting on hold to use a RUC can take like 40min. No idea why they have to call a special line to do it.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
For me, this is a perfectly good system. I like the callback option, and I like more options, rather than fewer, and the option of changing my mind if the situation on the ground changes.
It's not a perfectly good system if you don't want to have to monitor the line.
SamirD and dmarge18 like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not sure if things have gotten better recently or if I just got lucky, but called the PM line this morning and got an agent in under a minute of holding.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
How often does Delta know/recap/resume your prior agent interactions?

Same channel (phone) or multi-channel (i.e. chat > phone) ?

Seems like this SHOULD be possible in 2022, no?
SamirD likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by skislc
Not sure if things have gotten better recently or if I just got lucky, but called the PM line this morning and got an agent in under a minute of holding.
Also a PM and waited less than a minute to get an agent yesterday (Monday) morning around 8:30 am.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by deltaFO
Also a PM and waited less than a minute to get an agent yesterday (Monday) morning around 8:30 am.
I was told by an agent that mornings were significantly smoother sailing, but hopefully this is indicative of smoother sailing across the board.
ryandc99 and SamirD like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was advised of a 1h40m wait last night (Sunday) around 10pm ET. No offer of a callback.
Actual hold time was closer to 2 hours.

I had a 2-passenger reservation and I needed to (a) divide the PNR (can't do online), and (b) drop a segment for one passenger (can't change r/t into a o/w online). Definitely frustrating. Also not something I would have trusted a chat agent to do properly.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SamirD
I should ask my wife of her opinion on such things since she builds and manages contact centers for companies (not Delta, lol).
Forgot about this so I just asked her. It depends on how things are configured, but generally it will take the average call time and multiply it by the number of calls in queue to come up with the estimated wait time. When I asked her how can these systems be off so much between the estimate and the real wait, she mentioned that call times simply go over and the average changes and not all systems will update the wait time when it changes. So you'll hear 30 minutes and then it can end up being longer because since the time it told you 30m, things changed. Hope this explains stuff. It is also important to note that she said most systems have the same functionality so there is a feature to update these estimates in real-time (as many of have heard on other hold systems), and for whatever reason Delta simply isn't using it.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by SamirD
Forgot about this so I just asked her. It depends on how things are configured, but generally it will take the average call time and multiply it by the number of calls in queue to come up with the estimated wait time. When I asked her how can these systems be off so much between the estimate and the real wait, she mentioned that call times simply go over and the average changes and not all systems will update the wait time when it changes. So you'll hear 30 minutes and then it can end up being longer because since the time it told you 30m, things changed. Hope this explains stuff. It is also important to note that she said most systems have the same functionality so there is a feature to update these estimates in real-time (as many of have heard on other hold systems), and for whatever reason Delta simply isn't using it.
Having worked with Verint, Genesys, NICE, and Witness Systems... it's not that simple.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something's going on tonight. I can't check in for my 6 pm flight out of MSY tomorrow and the estimated wait time on the Platinum line is up to 2.5 hours. I've been waiting for a "chat" agent to be assigned for 1h 50m.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.